CAP member killed, Fairchild AFB - 1994

Started by Stonewall, September 21, 2010, 01:51:19 AM

Stonewall

I came across this while doing some research.  I had heard something about this but never researched it.

Linky

QuoteMy name is Andy Brown, I served ten years in the Air Force as a Security Policeman.  I was a patrolman at Fairchild AFB in 1994.  I was twenty-four years old.

I took my job seriously and refused to become complacent.  I maintained a high level of awareness and had a Warrior Mindset.  I sought training outside of what was provided by the Air Force.  I purchased a handgun identical to the Beretta M-9 we carried on duty.  I practiced and become proficient with it.  I read books on Officer Safety like those available from Calibre Press.  From those books I learned to mentally rehearsed lethal force scenarios and prepare my mind and body to prevail and survive anything I may encounter.

All of this preparation was tested on 20 JUN 1994.  I responded to the call of "man with a gun at the hospital".

I was the first on scene and confronted the killer who was on foot, outside the hospital, on Graham Road.  I ordered him to drop the weapon, he refused the order and ran toward me firing his rifle.  I returned fire, shooting four rounds, two of which hit him.  He was stopped with a fatal shot to the head.

I am troubled by the loss of lives that occured that day, and have taken steps to heal from that trauma.  I have met others who were there that day, citizens, medics, and cops, who are also struggling. 

I have experienced a multitude of Post Traumatic Stress symptoms over the years.  I have overcome most of them.  Some symptoms I may never overcome, but I continue to fight it.

I believe there is a need for one place for all to come together and be able to talk about the incident and what is still bothering them.  I also believe it would be helpful for everyone to realize they are not alone on the path to recovery.

I learned that CAP Lt Col Anita Lindner of WAWG was killed by the shooter.

Serving since 1987.

AirAux

Thank you for posting this.  I was unaware of our loss in CAP and society in general.  I believe this reflects the caliber of our CAP members and the dedication they display.  Lt. Col. Linder will surely be missed by all she touched and for all the good she never had the chance to do thanks to some deranged individual. 

Johnny Yuma

The Air Force didn't treat the SP who stopped the active shooter much better...

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJF10/

Click on the "70 YARD HANDGUN SHOOTOUT" on the top of the front cover. Mas Ayoob covered the shooting arlier in the year in American Handgunner.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: