Nice install!  Which/whose van is that?

FL Wing - Cargo / Comm

arajca

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CommGeek on March 05, 2010, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 04, 2010, 10:45:59 PM

FL Wing - Cargo / Comm

Then that's the van I am commandeering when I get back and need to tow the Wing Comm Trailer around.  :D

Eclipse

Nice install on the van - have you had any issues with the computer?  We have one member who has had issue with his airbag and service soon light when you key up the radio.

You have no idea how ridiculous that traffic cone looks on a POV.  Our will be going in the MCP trailer.

"That Others May Zoom"

kd8gua

I'm curious as to whether I can set up a 102" stainless whip tuned for 10 meters as an NVIS setup. DX propagation during the winter months is terrible on 10, so maybe I can instead try local stuff.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

N Harmon

You're not going to find a lot of days where the critical frequency is up in 10 meter country, which is why you're not getting good DX. Unfortunately NVIS works on the same principle as DX, just with a steeper angle.

Your best bet is to stick to 60-80 meter frequencies.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

kd8gua

Guess that means it's time to upgrade my ham ticket. There's only so much a tech can do on HF.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CommGeek

Im having serious issues with the computer!   Had to re-route the coax cable, wrap the computer in aluminum foil, and it still gives me issues!  Im going to try to wrap the coax.  Any ideas?   Probably going to get Wing to get the noise suppression kit from Mobat too...

CommGeek

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 05, 2010, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: CommGeek on March 05, 2010, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 04, 2010, 10:45:59 PM

FL Wing - Cargo / Comm

Joe, you should see what Doug and Bob did with the trailer!  NICE!!!  Ill post pics monday when I'm back in town!

So when do you come home?
Then that's the van I am commandeering when I get back and need to tow the Wing Comm Trailer around.  :D

kd8gua

I don't have much experience with HF, so take this FWIW. I think the location of your antenna is causing the most problems with your computer. Understandably so, when running a 130" whip NVIS style over the length of the vehicle with a tie down, there are few locations to mount the antenna base. I personally think if the base were mounted on the rear bumper, you'd have less RFI interference.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

Eclipse

Quote from: kd8gua on March 07, 2010, 04:34:45 AM
I don't have much experience with HF, so take this FWIW. I think the location of your antenna is causing the most problems with your computer. Understandably so, when running a 130" whip NVIS style over the length of the vehicle with a tie down, there are few locations to mount the antenna base. I personally think if the base were mounted on the rear bumper, you'd have less RFI interference.

In this case, that's where the traffic cone is mounted.  Removing one section of the whip, and having the antenna off to the side of the vehicle relieved the issue somewhat.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CommGeek on March 07, 2010, 01:06:04 AM
Im having serious issues with the computer!   Had to re-route the coax cable, wrap the computer in aluminum foil, and it still gives me issues!  Im going to try to wrap the coax.  Any ideas?   Probably going to get Wing to get the noise suppression kit from Mobat too...

If you're running in an NVIS configuration (antenna horizontal over the top of the van), you'll have to consider the 100 watts blasting it from the antenna as well.   Not a lot of shielding possibilities there that I can think of.   You'd likely only want to run it while not driving.   

I'd love to see pics of the trailer.    I'm here indefinitely - until I quit or get let go, basically - thanks to our lovely economy.

N7MOG

I did the install on the van that is in the pictures.  (South Dakota Wing DC)  Actually still trying to get the darn thing to work well, even tho it looks great!

Bill Collister
SDWG    DC
N7MOG
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

jks19714

I believe that you would be much better served for in-state/regional coverage by connecting a horizontal wire (20-100 ft) in place of the whip along with a couple of radial wires to the "ground" connection of the coupler.  NVIS is your friend.  Vertical whips radiate equally poorly in all directions (look up "radiation efficiency" of an HF whip and you'll see what I mean).

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

N Harmon

My unit's Dodge Caravan was recently outfitted with a mobile HF ALE capability. Here are some photos of the results.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron