Main Menu

Hey CFI's

Started by Flying Pig, May 13, 2008, 01:17:53 AM

Flying Pig

Scenario....

A guy ONLY has his private in helicopters and is working on his Commercial helicopter rating.  To meet his Commercial helo requirements, an applicant needs 10 hours of Instrument instruction.

Question...Can that 10 hours be in an airplane, even though the helo pilot has never flown an airplane?

I know its not practical, but legal?

ray

Yes, per 61.129(c) it's '10 hours of instrument training in an aircraft'.  You could get it all in an airship if you wanted.

SJFedor

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 13, 2008, 01:17:53 AM
Scenario....

A guy ONLY has his private in helicopters and is working on his Commercial helicopter rating.  To meet his Commercial helo requirements, an applicant needs 10 hours of Instrument instruction.

Question...Can that 10 hours be in an airplane, even though the helo pilot has never flown an airplane?

I know its not practical, but legal?

It can. It also makes sense for the applicant to get an instrument rating, which will above and beyond satisfy that requirement. Without it, you are limited to flights with passengers within 50 miles, and prohibited from flying with passengers at night. FAR 61.133

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DNall

This article isn't about exactly what you're asking, but I think it answers the question very well. Good read for your pilot & CFIs in general in case you come across similar situations.

http://www.jetcareers.com/content/view/112/220/