Main Menu

2008 National Conference

Started by Pylon, June 26, 2008, 03:37:25 PM

Pylon

http://cap.gov/visitors/events/2007_cap_annual_conference/
:-X

• The 2008 Conference uses 2007 in the URL
  • Was there a competition with how many different fonts, font sizes and font colors and combinations of italics, bold and underline we could use on the same webpage?  Because they won.  They also won points for the most disorganized way to display information, Best of Geocities Websites for 1997, and webpage most likely to make me close my browser and not come back.
  • Why would you put a banner ad for the National Conference on the homepage of our external recruiting site (www.GoCivilAirPatrol.com)?  It's not an event that would be of any interest to a potential recruit not yet in the organization, nor a parent of a potential cadet.  Even if it might be somehow distantly connectible to recruits - why the homepage?
  • It's on the homepage of our external recruiting website, but it's difficult to find even when you're looking for it from our cap.gov website.  ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ Seems like what has been produced these last few months by NHQ has been rather crappy.  Was there a "shake up" or a change in personnel at NHQ that led to this mess??

I think a 5th grader may be better able to prepare these sites than whomever is doing it. 
What's up monkeys?

JC004

For one, my guess is the CMS used on the NHQ web site is sucky.  Once they hire some of us CAP Talk people to fix the site, I am sure things will improve. 

I am glad that I didn't see the 2007 logo, btw.  That said, for those of you who want to treasure the experience, Vanguard sells 2007 national conference t-shirts with that logo.

We can fix this font issue with our style guide.   :)

The banner on the recruiting site is probably just for looks, since it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Cmdbuddy

Anybody going? 

I'll probably be there Friday evening and Saturday. 

I'm looking to meet a laundry list of online people  :)
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

CAP Producer

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on June 27, 2008, 01:22:14 AM
Anybody going? 

Yep will be there starting Monday Afternoon for the PAO Academy and the whole week.

Anyone else?
AL PABON, Major, CAP

FW

James Shaw

I will be there thursday thru sunday. I will be gviving a presentation on History and holding the charter meeting of the Medal of Valor Association. I will also be showing some 16MM movies from the 60's and 70's.

I would like to meet some CAPTalk folks as well.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

flyerthom

Quote from: CAP Producer on June 27, 2008, 01:37:30 AM
Quote from: Cmdbuddy on June 27, 2008, 01:22:14 AM
Anybody going? 

Yep will be there starting Monday Afternoon for the PAO Academy and the whole week.

Anyone else?

I'm also going to be at the PAO academy. Most likely arriving late Sunday. I'm staying off site though. I swapped a timeshare week so I saved a few bucks.
TC

rightstuffpilot

I'm going  ;D .  Tuesday-Saturday
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

Cecil DP

I will arrive Thursday a.m. and check out Saturday. Leave as soon as the conference closes. Too expensive to attend the Banquest.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

badger bob

Plan to be there Tuesday afternoon for the week. I want to go to the pre-confernce lab on Wednesday for the new IMS system replacing CEMS and CATS.

Hope to meet a few logistics types in Orlando.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

BuckeyeDEJ

Hey, CAP Producer: You might want to change the URL in your signature. ncrapo.org is a funny URL, but I don't think it's quite right.... ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

KyCAP

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/events/2007_cap_annual_conference/dress_code.cfm

I guess I am happy to see an attempt at being uniform at the National Board.  Yet, it's with the uniform I haven't spent any money on.. The CAP Service Uniform...

Looks like you can wear every uniform except BDU, flight suit, CAP Polo and AF Style Service dress... 

Russ
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

CASH172

Quote from: KyCAP on July 23, 2008, 05:25:47 AM
The CAP Service Uniform...

If you're wearing AF blues, then just buy a white shirt.  The CSU (TPU) jacket isn't even permitted. 

KyCAP

?

"National Board members, individuals receiving awards, and personnel seated at the head table or making presentations should wear the new corporate service coat, service dress coat, or blue blazer and tie."
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

JC004

huh?

It looks basically the same as last year.  It's just different uniforms for different events.  There are plenty of options.

Maj Ballard

My cadets (the National Champion color guard) will be there posting the Colors. Be sure to say hi to them. :)
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

LtCol Hooligan

I guess I am happy to see an attempt at being uniform at the National Board.  Yet, it's with the uniform I haven't spent any money on.. The CAP Service Uniform...

Does anyone know if Service Coats will be acceptable for the banquet vs mess dress?  I am planning on attending the banquet and wanted to verify if I need to bring a suit with me or if I can wear my service coat.  I heard in the past, people wore service coats when they did not have a mess dress.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

CAP Producer

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on July 23, 2008, 05:15:55 PM

Does anyone know if Service Coats will be acceptable for the banquet vs mess dress?  I am planning on attending the banquet and wanted to verify if I need to bring a suit with me or if I can wear my service coat.  I heard in the past, people wore service coats when they did not have a mess dress.

Erik,

They are absolutely welcome. That's what I and alot of other folks will be wearing.

Hope this helps.

Al.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAP Producer on July 23, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

Erik,

They are absolutely welcome. That's what I and alot of other folks will be wearing.

Hope this helps.

Al.

That's not what the dress code says...

Mess dress, semi formal corporate service coat combination, or CAP blazer combination with plain white shirt and black bow tie by senior members, semiformal uniform by cadets, or appropriate civilian attire.

Mess Dress is the option for the AF style uniforms.
Corporate Semi-formal (TPU version of mess dress)
Blazer with bow tie
Appropriate civilian attire.

Sounds to me like they are making this a black tie affair. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Maj Ballard

That's what they said at FLWG conference too, and lots of folks wore service dress to the banquet.

One issue they haven't addressed is that there is no "corporate semi-formal" for ladies. We can't just wear a bow tie. LOL
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

AlphaSigOU

True, though the ladies do have the advantage of wearing formal silly-vilian evening dresses...  ;D

Again, this is where things aren't thought through by the powers-that-be at CAP NHQ. Not sure if a black inverted V-tab (Army?) is available for wear.

Kinda wacky that the new AF-style semi-formal doesn't use a bow tie; just change the shirt to white.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CAP Producer

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 23, 2008, 06:41:45 PM
Quote from: CAP Producer on July 23, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

I know what you are saying but I have been to the last 4 boards and Service dress was worn by many people at the banquet.

Erik,

Hope this helps.

Al.

That's not what the dress code says...

Mess dress, semi formal corporate service coat combination, or CAP blazer combination with plain white shirt and black bow tie by senior members, semiformal uniform by cadets, or appropriate civilian attire.

Mess Dress is the option for the AF style uniforms.
Corporate Semi-formal (TPU version of mess dress)
Blazer with bow tie
Appropriate civilian attire.

Sounds to me like they are making this a black tie affair. 
AL PABON, Major, CAP

James Shaw

I look forward to this one. I am glad they have done a few in this area and now they will be on the west coast for a few years. traveling to one that far is to expensive. I will be doing a History Seminar and holding the Charter meeting of the Medal of Valor Association.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Pylon

Quote from: Captain B on July 25, 2008, 11:09:15 AMOne issue they haven't addressed is that there is no "corporate semi-formal" for ladies. We can't just wear a bow tie. LOL

If it's being billed as a black-tie affair, I'd assume women not wearing the AF-style mess dress would wear civilian attire commensurate with what they'd wear to a civilian black tie affair.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

Quote from: Pylon on July 28, 2008, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: Captain B on July 25, 2008, 11:09:15 AMOne issue they haven't addressed is that there is no "corporate semi-formal" for ladies. We can't just wear a bow tie. LOL

If it's being billed as a black-tie affair, I'd assume women not wearing the AF-style mess dress would wear civilian attire commensurate with what they'd wear to a civilian black tie affair.

I know. That's what I wore to the FLWG banquet (evening gown). However, it still remains that nobody thought about a "corporate semi-formal" uniform for ladies, this banquet notwithstanding.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP