Wonder how this is gonna work out for NESA?

Started by Johnny Yuma, November 20, 2016, 04:06:28 AM

Johnny Yuma

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/11/16/nra-moving-national-high-power-rifle-championships-from-camp-perry/#.WCzgqIg9D0Y.facebook

The National Rifle Association has decided to move the 3 week long rifle matches held that have been held at Camp Perry, Ohio for the past 100 some odd years and relocate to Atterbury right at the same time as NESA. IIRC the Nationals draw  somewhere around 1500-2000 shooters and probably that many family/spectators.

This should make for an interesting year...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Live2Learn

Maybe some NESA attendees could participate in both.  Otherwise, what's he problem?

Johnny Yuma

Competition for facilites, for one. IIRC NESA's facilities are the ones closest to the range and airfield, which will be the ones NRA will want.

Second, the safety fan for the small arms range will probably be about a 45degree angle of real estate from each end of the KD ranges going back 4 miles. That 's a large area I believe ground teams played in and drove through that will be off limits.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on November 20, 2016, 06:43:22 PM
Competition for facilites, for one. IIRC NESA's facilities are the ones closest to the range and airfield, which will be the ones NRA will want.

Second, the safety fan for the small arms range will probably be about a 45degree angle of real estate from each end of the KD ranges going back 4 miles. That 's a large area I believe ground teams played in and drove through that will be off limits.

NESAs facilities are not the closest to either. Additionally, the small arms ranges are hot all the time, and we never have any issues.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 20, 2016, 06:48:55 PM

NESAs facilities are not the closest to either. Additionally, the small arms ranges are hot all the time, and we never have any issues.

I swear the buildings they used were the ones closest toward the air field in 2005.

Should be interesting to see the interaction...

" Skip a bit, brother."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on November 21, 2016, 11:38:40 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 20, 2016, 06:48:55 PM

I swear the buildings they used were the ones closest toward the air field in 2005.

Should be interesting to see the interaction...

We've bounced around a couple of times in the intervening years. A couple of years a go we were in barracks and classrooms much closer to Range Rd/the airfield but last year we thankfully went back to our old block.

Like I said, the small arms ranges are pretty much always hot and while we do have a training area somewhat catty-corner to them, it doesn't cause issues as we are farther west and uprange. Most everyone shooting things shoot into a special area. If you're not in that area (which is off-limits anyways), you're cool. We did have a conflict a couple of years ago with artillery using the sniper range adjacent to our block (which I could see again with this event) but that didn't, and won't cause issues if it does become a conflict this year. Just means more people in the area - we've co-existed with a lot bigger and cooler things than a few NRA members before with no issues.

Every year brings its own unique set of challenges and 2017 will be no exception, but I'm sure that any conflicts (if there are any) have already been coordinated between the base and the NESA head honchos. We'll just do what we do every year - do our best to plan, then show up and solve the problems in front of us (because of course no good plan survives first contact with the enemy).

By the way, if you're looking to return, we're always in need of good members to serve on staff, especially seniors.

THRAWN

How is this going to be any different than our activities on any other base? During the surge there were a lot of space constraints and a bit of extra coordination needed, but everyone involved accomplished their assigned missions.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023