Would this be a "nuclear-power nap"?

Started by Panache, October 23, 2013, 01:06:55 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on October 27, 2013, 11:30:47 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on October 27, 2013, 11:01:02 PM
I never knew that. I guess you learn something new everyday. By the way, where are the Russian missles? ::)

In Russia, mostly... :o

ROFL   :clap:

raivo

The likelihood that something could have gone wrong - even if it didn't - isn't usually taken into consideration in these situations. There are differing "levels" of errors that missileers can get dinged for - violating Weapon System Safety Rules (which is what happened in this case) is about as severe as you can realistically get, even more so if the violation was intentional.

As has been pointed out, the odds of something actually happening due to someone breaking those rules are extremely low, due to the numerous safeguards built into the system. There's a thread elsewhere on this forum about the B-52 crash at Fairchild back in the '90s, as a result of the aircraft commander routinely ignoring the rules - not to downplay airplane crashes, but Col. Holland "only" destroyed a multi-million-dollar aircraft and killed four people. The worst-case consequence for someone violating rules regarding nuclear weapons is much, much, much, MUCH worse than that - and that's why those crewmembers are getting punished, regardless of how unlikely the consequences for their actions were.

That said, whoever decided that in-house disciplinary actions would be good gossip for the Associated Press to run with, needs some gentle wall-to-wall mentoring.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SarDragon

This is about the forty-'leventh time this as been posted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

I thought I'd save some newer members the effort to search for it.

PHall

a2capt

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040