Would this be a "nuclear-power nap"?

Started by Panache, October 23, 2013, 01:06:55 PM

Panache

Not CAP-related per se (unless we have a Nuclear Missile Specialty Track I'm unaware of) but news about our parent service....

Nuclear missile officers twice caught napping with blast door left open to underground bunker

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Private Investigator

He should be doing about 1,000,000 push ups after I take my foot out of his ---!   8)

Brad

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 23, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
Steely-eyed CAP missileer!  ;D

A former Cadet from my Wing is now a 2dLt missileer. I hope this wasn't him!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

raivo

People did things they weren't supposed to, people were caught and disciplined. The system works.

The media is making this out to be much worse than it is, thanks to somebody who's decided the AP needs to know about everything happening in the nuclear world.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

jimmydeanno

Isn't one of our CT members a Space and Missiles Officer there?  LGM30GMCC?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: Panache on October 23, 2013, 01:06:55 PM
Not CAP-related per se (unless we have a Nuclear Missile Specialty Track I'm unaware of) but news about our parent service....

Nuclear missile officers twice caught napping with blast door left open to underground bunker

Blast door was left open. Big whoop. It only opens to the elevator. That has an armed guard at the other end...

Mountain out of a molehole if you ask me. ::)

NCRblues

Quote from: PHall on October 26, 2013, 12:39:10 AM

Blast door was left open. Big whoop. It only opens to the elevator. That has an armed guard at the other end...

Actually it could turn into a big deal.

A person not authorized could enter into the no lone zone. A distracted missle commander could allow any number of possibilities to occur that could result in the exposure of UCNI or CCNI or damage to one of the triad legs.

Very serious stuff...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PHall

Quote from: NCRblues on October 26, 2013, 01:27:49 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 26, 2013, 12:39:10 AM

Actually it could turn into a big deal.

A person not authorized could enter into the no lone zone. A distracted missle commander could allow any number of possibilities to occur that could result in the exposure of UCNI or CCNI or damage to one of the triad legs.

Very serious stuff...

I flew on Looking Glass for six years, I think I know way more about this then you do.

Like I said, the door opens to the elevator to the top side. Top of the elevator is "guarded" by the facility manager.
Nobody gets into the elevator unless the crew in the capsule clears them. The elevator is considered a "no lone zone".

Like I said, mountain from a molehill.

Did they violate procedures, yes. And the crew was decertified and had to go through recertification before they could resume crew duties.
They also got to explain to the Wing Commander why it was a "good" idea to nap with the door open.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on October 26, 2013, 02:37:14 AM
Did they violate procedures, yes. And the crew was decertified and had to go through recertification before they could resume crew duties.
They also got to explain to the Wing Commander why it was a "good" idea to nap with the door open.

It definitely was a one-way conversation standing tall in front of the Old Man...
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 26, 2013, 05:56:21 PM

It definitely was a one-way conversation standing tall in front of the Old Man...

Exactly and the answer is "YES SIR!"   8)

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 26, 2013, 06:35:44 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 26, 2013, 05:56:21 PM

Exactly and the answer is "YES SIR!"   8)

No, they would have to explain their actions since HE was the one certifying them to perform nuclear weapon duties.

We're talking Personnel Reliability Program stuff here.

He probably still ripped them a new one and that's after the Squadron Commander and Ops Officer got their pieces already.

Let's just say their next OPR won't be their best.

TexasCadet

The newspaper in my area, in their report, had the number of Minuteman missles, their location, and some of the security forces guarding the missles. Real smart.

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on October 27, 2013, 10:09:22 PM
The newspaper in my area, in their report, had the number of Minuteman missles, their location, and some of the security forces guarding the missles. Real smart.

They've been there for 40 years now. Not exactly a secret any more. Especially sine we had to disclose the location of all of the missile silos as part of the START treaty. (And the Soviets had to disclose the location of all of theirs to us.)

TexasCadet

I never knew that. I guess you learn something new everyday. By the way, where are the Russian missles? ::)

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on October 27, 2013, 11:01:02 PM
I never knew that. I guess you learn something new everyday. By the way, where are the Russian missles? ::)

In Russia, mostly... :o

RogueLeader

They tried putting a few in Cuba, but that didn't work too well for the Ruskies. Of course that led to the Cuban Missile Crisis.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

..and with events since about 1991 or so, they might be missing a few small ones. But what's a few, when they have many more, right? ;)

Slim

Quote from: PHall on October 27, 2013, 10:45:18 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on October 27, 2013, 10:09:22 PM

They've been there for 40 years now. Not exactly a secret any more. Especially sine we had to disclose the location of all of the missile silos as part of the START treaty. (And the Soviets had to disclose the location of all of theirs to us.)

For that matter, anyone with Google Maps (in satellite view) and a good idea of that to look for can find every one of the MAFs/LFs.  A little google-fu will turn up a couple of websites that list all of the sites by lat/long.

Slim

SarDragon

Don't even need to do that. Go to Google Community, and there are at least 2 KMZ files with everything already loaded in. Just d/l, and open.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on October 27, 2013, 11:30:47 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on October 27, 2013, 11:01:02 PM

In Russia, mostly... :o

ROFL   :clap:

raivo

The likelihood that something could have gone wrong - even if it didn't - isn't usually taken into consideration in these situations. There are differing "levels" of errors that missileers can get dinged for - violating Weapon System Safety Rules (which is what happened in this case) is about as severe as you can realistically get, even more so if the violation was intentional.

As has been pointed out, the odds of something actually happening due to someone breaking those rules are extremely low, due to the numerous safeguards built into the system. There's a thread elsewhere on this forum about the B-52 crash at Fairchild back in the '90s, as a result of the aircraft commander routinely ignoring the rules - not to downplay airplane crashes, but Col. Holland "only" destroyed a multi-million-dollar aircraft and killed four people. The worst-case consequence for someone violating rules regarding nuclear weapons is much, much, much, MUCH worse than that - and that's why those crewmembers are getting punished, regardless of how unlikely the consequences for their actions were.

That said, whoever decided that in-house disciplinary actions would be good gossip for the Associated Press to run with, needs some gentle wall-to-wall mentoring.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SarDragon

This is about the forty-'leventh time this as been posted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

I thought I'd save some newer members the effort to search for it.

PHall

a2capt

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

AlphaSigOU

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040