Main Menu

2007 Wreaths Across America

Started by badger bob, March 01, 2007, 01:10:52 PM

Slim

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 18, 2007, 01:36:41 PM
Chris,

I think that what you guys did was absolutely fabulous.  Honoring American veterans - that was the purpose.  Having the cadets get out there and honor those who sacrificed themselves for this wonderful country.  Thank you for taking the time to do this - I appreciate it.

Jimmy.

-------------------------
Of course my comment was completely tounge-in-cheek because I am realistic and wouldn't expect those that were doing a work detail to wear a tuxedo regardless of whether they had one or not.

I brought this thread up to a friend of mine last night and we both strongly agreed that some of the comments here are what are disgraceful, not what the wreath layers did.  There is no disgrace in honoring veterans.

Sorry, Jimmy.  I guess I shouldn't have quoted you.  Your post wasn't the one I was taking issue with or commenting on.

I'll take BDUs and warm over Blues and freezing any day of the week, and twice on the second or third Saturday of December any time.  ;D

When we get our pictures developed and scanned, I'll snag a few to post.

I guess what really kind of disappoints me is that all of us (CAP, VFW, PGR, etc.) did all that work on Saturday, and got nine inches of snow dumped on us Saturday night.  So, now all those wreaths are buried until spring.  Oh well, we all know what we did, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Slim

RogueLeader

It turns out that our squadron made the news for Lawton.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alice

About two weeks ago, I noticed a blurb in the Washington Post asking for volunteers to help remove the "thousands of wreaths ... left in December on graves in the [Arlington] cemetery's section 33."  Wondering if CAP's Wreaths Across America program includes helping to remove the dried up wreaths.  Telephonme number given for volunteers to help at Arlington was 703-607-8574.
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

mikeylikey

^ I never even thought about the removal issue.  I remember a program on TV about 10 years ago that said the cemetery employees nearly 50-60 people just to remove articles left at gravesites everyday.  Wouldn't this be part of their duty. 

I would also like to see prisoners do this.  In PA, federal Penn prisoners are routinely found in the National Cemeteries in the State cleaning them up, cutting grass, fixing things.  This would be a perfect job for other prisoners in the DC area!
What's up monkeys?

Slim

We were asked by the cemetery director to bring a few people back in March or April to remove and dispose of them once the ground thaws. 

Slim

captrncap

My squadron is participating this year (1st time).

A member asked if the squadron gets $5 per wreath, where does the other $10 go?

Anyone know?

It would also be nice if I could respond to the person off the street

jimmydeanno

Quote from: captrncap on September 25, 2008, 07:37:21 PM
My squadron is participating this year (1st time).

A member asked if the squadron gets $5 per wreath, where does the other $10 go?

Anyone know?

It would also be nice if I could respond to the person off the street

Pretty sure it goes to the cost of wreath production and shipping.  IIRC, they produce them at cost ~$10.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill