12 Winter National Board Actions

Started by badger bob, March 03, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

badger bob

Is there anyone that attended the Nationa Board meeting that can give a update on any action on Agenda items? Without a live stream we dont have a blow by blow recap?
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

spacecommand

I was there on day one (Friday).  Nothing major here's a quick run down based on my bad memory based on the OPEN SESSION:

-A safety briefing on where the exits of the room were and said since we're on the second floor we can just use the chairs and tables to bust the windows open and jump (jokingly). 

-The National Chaplain told a great story about how he grew up in Philadelphia as a youth and how he got into CAP. 
Badges handed out to new members of the National Board. 

-ICUT course material is developed (with finished videos etc), just waiting online deployment.

-A bunch of pie charts. 

-Someone lost a recruiter ribbon, turned out to be new Wing Commander of Puerto Rico Wing, so he had to sing two songs in front of everyone (just joking about the singing part).

-Also there was a detailed analysis of the Zapruder film and about funding the CAP squadron at Area 51.  (ok I made the last two up ;P)

During the open session on Friday there were no actions that I saw on policy changes etc, just reports being told. 
Not sure what happened today.

MSG Mac

I was there for the afternoon session today. BG Anderson gave a report on the Governance question. Basically the work is about 1/2 done and need to be briefed to the Air Staff and SECAF when it is finally completed. They finished at about 2 p.m
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 03, 2012, 10:58:22 PM
I was there for the afternoon session today. BG Anderson gave a report on the Governance question. Basically the work is about 1/2 done and need to be briefed to the Air Staff and SECAF when it is finally completed. They finished at about 2 p.m

So no word on when we get to see the report or the survey results?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JeffDG

Quote from: davidsinn on March 03, 2012, 11:18:38 PM

Yep...when it's a fait acompli.

If it's being briefed to SecAF, then it's pretty much done.

NIN

Did Chaplain Ellis tell the "you white devils" version of that story? I love that one. Chaplain Ellis is a scream.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on March 04, 2012, 12:35:08 AM

Did you actually think that the general membership would get any say in this matter other then participate in the survey?

arajca

Quote from: JeffDG on March 04, 2012, 12:35:08 AM

It's not being briefed to SecAF yet. The work hasn't been completed. When it is, it'll be briefed to SecAF. Which should be no surprise to anyone here. As for member input, we'll have to see what the next half of the process brings.

NCRblues

So, what happened to the agenda items? Anyone know?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Ned

Watch for an announcement tomorrow or Tuesday on eServices that will describe the process and status of the governance study.  It will summarize and expand on the remarks of Generals Anderson and Spiegel.

Also, they tell me they intend to post both the slides as well as the video of the meeting.  That will be a first for us, so I'm sure they will be looking for some constructive feedback as to the format and usefullness of the information.  I expect the slides and video will take a few days or weeks to prepare.

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

spacecommand

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2012, 02:00:09 AM
Did Chaplain Ellis tell the "you white devils" version of that story? I love that one. Chaplain Ellis is a scream.

ha no.  The story I heard was one day the police got him and handcuffed him at the station, at the end of the day the sergeant took him to the local CAP unit and signed him up and paid two years of membership dues and paid for his uniform items, Chaplain Ellis said that he was thinking these folks were rich and if he should rob them or not haha.  He tells the story really good, so I hope it's uploaded as a video shortly.

Ned

CAP has released a description on the status of the governance review on VolunteerNow, Twitter, and Facebook.

For our purposes here on CAPTalk, it is important to note that nothing is a "done deal", the SECAF is not being briefed on any tentative plan (since there isn't any such thing), and CAP remains committed to an open and transparent process to effect any changes the BoG may choose to make.

The other key take-away from Gen Anderson's remarks is that nothing being considered is likely to significantly affect the way we do business on Tuesday nights.  For our volunteer cadet and senior members, it will be "business as usual" on squadron meeting nights after all is said and done.

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

NCRblues

Quote from: Ned on March 05, 2012, 07:27:54 PM
CAP has released a description on the status of the governance review on VolunteerNow, Twitter, and Facebook.

For our purposes here on CAPTalk, it is important to note that nothing is a "done deal", the SECAF is not being briefed on any tentative plan (since there isn't any such thing), and CAP remains committed to an open and transparent process to effect any changes the BoG may choose to make.

The other key take-away from Gen Anderson's remarks is that nothing being considered is likely to significantly affect the way we do business on Tuesday nights.  For our volunteer cadet and senior members, it will be "business as usual" on squadron meeting nights after all is said and done.

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

Ned, has there been any discussion on when we (the average member) will get to read the report?

I'm not asking to see the proposed changes the BOG is thinking, just the boardsource report.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Ned

Quote from: NCRblues on March 05, 2012, 08:07:02 PM
Ned, has there been any discussion on when we (the average member) will get to read the report?

I'm not asking to see the proposed changes the BOG is thinking, just the boardsource report.

Fair question.

The BoG Governance Subcommittee, chaired by Maj Gen (ret) Spiegel, is meeting next week at NHQ.  They have a lot on their plate, but among other things they will be discussing when the BoardSource report may be released.

I suspect we will hear more after that.

NIN

Quote from: spacecommand on March 05, 2012, 05:47:49 AM
Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2012, 02:00:09 AM

ha no.  The story I heard was one day the police got him and handcuffed him at the station, at the end of the day the sergeant took him to the local CAP unit and signed him up and paid two years of membership dues and paid for his uniform items, Chaplain Ellis said that he was thinking these folks were rich and if he should rob them or not haha.  He tells the story really good, so I hope it's uploaded as a video shortly.

Well,  he's also told the earlier part of the story (in public, so I'm not telling anything he hasn't) about his father, who as I recall, was involved with the Nation of Islam and taught his son not to trust those "white devils."   Suffice to say, when Chaplain Ellis tells the story, in his manner of speaking, it is absolutely funny and entrancing at the same time.  He is an excellent story teller (what chaplain isn't, really), and his journey didn't quite start where you'd expect, nor follow the path you'd think.   

I enjoy every minute I spend around Chaplain Ellis. He's a complete crackup in unguarded moments, too. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Ned on March 05, 2012, 07:27:54 PM

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

But we meet on Monday nights. Does that mean we are in danger?  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

arajca

a2capt

Hah! The 2 Year Moratorium should have been up a long time ago, for the amount of time they have been citing it!
This will never end.

The CD officer agenda is good that it was sent back, "respected community member" seems like an awfully loose description, and could vary immensely. I understand that it's probably not as hard, but darn close to as hard of a problem that the Catholic Church has in finding new priests, but .. loosening up the qualifiers isn't necessarily the way to go.  Let that Diversity Officer identify that channel ;)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: a2capt on March 10, 2012, 03:27:53 PM
Hah! The 2 Year Moratorium should have been up a long time ago, for the amount of time they have been citing it!
This will never end.

The CD officer agenda is good that it was sent back, "respected community member" seems like an awfully loose description, and could vary immensely. I understand that it's probably not as hard, but darn close to as hard of a problem that the Catholic Church has in finding new priests, but .. loosening up the qualifiers isn't necessarily the way to go.  Let that Diversity Officer identify that channel ;)

For lessons that have predefined lesson plans, why do we need our CD officers to have religious background, certification from clergy members, etc?  Just as good leadership isn't limited to military personnel, ethical people are not limited to those deemed "ok" by a religious institution.  I'd love to have an ethics professor as a CDO.  How about a high school.guidance counselor?  Are they not qualified?  The list of those who would be qualified to teach a CD lesson is far longer than our current rules permit. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill