Main Menu

12-21-2012

Started by BillB, January 01, 2012, 12:51:31 PM

BillB

With the Mayan Calendar predicting major changes on December 21st which might include the reversal of the magnetic poles is CAP prepared? Think of the effect on ground teams looking for an ELT in the north portion of grid 214, only to find out the north part is the new south part. Or a flight crew landing on runway 35 now finding its runway 17. Would this produce anothe ICL?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

a2capt

Magnetic orientation change doesn't just happen over night. 

Though it would have been interesting for mankind to have been dependent on it in a way we are how, and have that change happen within the average lifespan of a generation. I seem to recall when reading about that, it was about a 13,000 year span of shift.

OTOH- "north" pointing towards Oahu .. would be interesting, too.

If the magnetic poles shifted that fast, I think we'd be worrying about *a lot more* than where the ELT is. 

A lot more.

As for the ICL - no, it would produce at least 4 more and then a moratorium. Then you'd be stuck with them.

RiverAux

Mayan calendar doesn't predict a pole reversal, though I think that is more likely than the world coming to an end on that date.  But, a2 is right that it seems that pole reversals take quite a while -- heck the pole is always moving around. 

Eclipse

Meh - upgrade the firmware on your GPS and move on, most people don't know which way North is, anyway, and zombies don't really seem interested in detailed navigation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I think the calendar writer guy just got bored making calendars and was looking to get out of the office.  He applied to be the virgin executer and just never got back to finishing the calendar.  End of story.

rustyjeeper

The CyBorg is destroyed

ICL's trump EVERYTHING. >:D

That includes NASA and the Mayan Calendar!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

Apparently the Mayans move at about the same pace in updating our calendars as NHQ does in updating our ICLs to regulations....they've had 1000 years to get the new version out...

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 01, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
I think the calendar writer guy just got bored making calendars and was looking to get out of the office.  He applied to be the virgin executer and just never got back to finishing the calendar.  End of story.
I am concerned that we are worried about what some Mayan said about the calandar!  I mean these guys were eliminated by the spanish!  Who were defeated by the French, who could not win agains anyone!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

titanII

Quote from: RiverAux on January 01, 2012, 08:05:48 PM
Apparently the Mayans move at about the same pace in updating our calendars as NHQ does in updating our ICLs to regulations....they've had 1000 years to get the new version out...
Ba Dum Tss

(drum noise)
;D
No longer active on CAP talk

lordmonar

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 01, 2012, 05:18:17 PM
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

the world is not ending, according to NASA that is....
>:D
Well of course NASA would be saying it's not true!  NASA is in on the "conspiracy"!
>:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

rustyjeeper

IMHO the world may end before National HQ ever gets around to approving the ABU's---could not resist the opportunity to bring that thread into yet another forum >:D so they Mayans may be right and NHQ is a likely part of the conspiracy with NASA....

titanII

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 01, 2012, 09:26:18 PM
so they Mayans may be right and NHQ is a likely part of the conspiracy with NASA....
So... the Mayans... NHQ... NASA... (and of course Vanguard) are all in on the conspiracy!

rustyjeeper

Why not? We can think of a way to tie it all into Major Nelson and Jeanie if we try hard enough! >:D

JeffDG

Quote from: titanII on January 01, 2012, 10:47:01 PM
Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 01, 2012, 09:26:18 PM
so they Mayans may be right and NHQ is a likely part of the conspiracy with NASA....
So... the Mayans... NHQ... NASA... (and of course Vanguard) are all in on the conspiracy!
Ahem. OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Vanguard Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people NASA -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires NHQ -- are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass, here, people...

titanII

Quote from: JeffDG on January 01, 2012, 11:20:31 PM
the Rand Vanguard Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people NASA -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires NHQ -- are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner.
Those fiends!

HGjunkie

Timecube.com

I don't know guys, if you wanna talk about conspiracy...  >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 02, 2012, 12:22:31 AM
^^ Friend of yours?

You should be a Comedian sir. :P

No, this guy is just plain nuts, you can find him on Youtube being... well, crazy.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF