Main Menu

Tips for Inverting a C-182?

Started by DakRadz, May 26, 2016, 07:08:01 PM

DakRadz

I'm about to do an Observer training with a local squadron, and wanted to see if I could get tips on inverting the plane. Always wanted to do it, and figured since the pilot has been flying for 25 years this is the best guy to ask- I'm sure he's done it before.

Anyway, is there a particular maneuver or style you are fond of or have heard about? Thanks.

MacGruff

THRAWN

Try it in your mom's car first. Use the Vin Diesel "handbrake turn"...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NC Hokie

1) Land the C-182 and taxi towards a large group of cadets. Encampments work best for this.
2) Explain what you want to the highest ranking cadet.
3) Watch as the cadets pick up the C-182, rotate it around an axis, and then put it back down upside down.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JeffDG

X-Plane is the only place I would consider such a maneuver.

Mitchell 1969

I thought it said "Inventing a C-182." Got interested for a minute, thinking it was a time traveler from Wichita looking for advice.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

calebtornado12

I can only foresee turning on the news and seeing the headline be "Man Crashes Plane After Trying to Go Inverted"
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

A.Member

The maneuver is very challenging for the body and you must train for it.

Best training is to find an oversized tire and large hill.  You'll need no fewer than 50 rotations per attempt in order to get acclimated, so make sure the hill is large and steep.   You'll probably need to complete this 10x daily for a minimum 3 week lead up time. 

Also, make sure you wear googles; ski googles work great.  And practice in full uniform, sleeves down.  This offers great crash simulation should the tire become unbalanced.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

FW

To invert a C-182, attach wire cable to crane and tie-down grommet of the aircraft tail.  Have crane pull up until aircraft is in a nose down attitude.  attach wire cables to wing tie-down grommets and a second crane.  Have 2nd crane pull up on aircraft until inverted; easy as pie.... >:D

(in the air, the maneuver is impossible; something about not having the correct oil system...) :o

BTW; make sure your personal insurance covers the attempt.  Gross negligence has its price...  ;D

A.Member

Quote from: FW on May 26, 2016, 09:42:55 PM
(in the air, the maneuver is impossible; something about not having the correct oil system...) :o
It's not impossible.  The NTSB has all kinds of documented cases to prove it...
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

FW

Quote from: A.Member on May 26, 2016, 09:48:42 PM
Quote from: FW on May 26, 2016, 09:42:55 PM
It's not impossible.  The NTSB has all kinds of documented cases to prove it...

I stand corrected! ;D

SarDragon

It is possible, but very strongly discouraged. VERY. Getting it on its back is easy. Maintaining flight, not so much. The oil system is not designed for inverted flight.

I was in a 182 with a friend, and we got into a wing tip vortex from a heavy we thought was far enough ahead of us. We did a quick barrel roll, and flew to our destination. It was over almost before we knew it was happening.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

Here are a couple videos showing how to invert a 172. A 182 probably wouldn't react much differently.

https://youtu.be/aFi0pLpq2OQ?t=2m6s

https://youtu.be/FsRwlr7RDkk?t=3m52s

And a non-flip.

https://youtu.be/Kx5YeqTBcDI?t=1m31s

Mike

PHall

If you do attempt to fly a C-182 inverted make sure you are within gliding distance of a runway.
Because you WILL be getting some practice in performing a "dead stick" landing.
C-182 engines do not like zero oil pressure...

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on May 27, 2016, 12:43:26 AM
If you do attempt to fly a C-182 inverted make sure you are within gliding distance of a runway.
You can invert an aircraft and maintain positive G loading throughout the maneuver.  Can you accomplish this in a 182?  I'm not sure.

However, I stand by my prior advice of only doing this in X-Plane or other suitable sim.

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on May 27, 2016, 01:19:26 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 27, 2016, 12:43:26 AM
You can invert an aircraft and maintain positive G loading throughout the maneuver.  Can you accomplish this in a 182?  I'm not sure.

However, I stand by my prior advice of only doing this in X-Plane or other suitable sim.

Yes, you can, but the POH prohibits aerobatic maneuvers. However, a barrel roll, properly executed, is a 1G maneuver, and won't kill the plane. The fly upside-down stuff like Mav and Goose did with the MiG is totally out of the question.

As an afterthought, fuel delivery isn't set up for inverted flight, either, and is more of a consideration than the oil pressure.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

! No longer available

I have a difficult time believing this was a serious inquiry, however anyone in my AOR who did something like
this on purpose, especially in a mission environment, would be an x-CAP pilot, and possibly an x-member before they closed their sortie.

CAPR 60-1, Page 6 ยง2-1b:
"b. Smoking, aerobatic flight, spins (except instruction for a flight instructor certificate),
parachuting and dropping of objects (except to save a life) from CAP aircraft are prohibited.
"

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 27, 2016, 05:27:04 AM
That was a spin, not a roll.

Never said the video was a roll, though the poster of the video indicates the aircraft was inverted.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2016, 05:37:49 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 27, 2016, 05:27:04 AM
That was a spin, not a roll.

Never said the video was a roll, though the poster of the video indicates the aircraft was inverted.

What was shown on the posted video was NOT inverted. Nose low and maybe 1 turn of a spin, but all right side up.

Brad

"You're about to write a check your butt can't cash!"

:P

Also, if you hypothetically were to do this, I would say said aircraft then deserves the honor of having this placarded on it for the rest of its service life:

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

DakRadz

Well, this has been quite entertaining. I have to wonder how many noted this was in Tall Tales (I, of course, don't try to be banned or locked, heh).

Good discussion though- thanks for the chuckle.