Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

PHall

Quote from: Spam on September 30, 2015, 03:35:09 AM
,,, into oncoming traffic?  Why, the blood splash would be bigger than the puke splash!

Cheers,
Spam

Uh, we're talking about the US, not the UK here...

Spam

I always run against traffic, so no, I AM talking about the US, and I hadn't noticed any mention of form runs yet.  However, I hadn't considered that at encampment, many folks would be using a base track, so puking outboard would be a RH turn, after all.

Only we Captalk types would get legalistic about a barf joke, right! (grin)

Cheers,
Spam

PHall

Quote from: Spam on September 30, 2015, 03:12:09 PM
I always run against traffic, so no, I AM talking about the US, and I hadn't noticed any mention of form runs yet.  However, I hadn't considered that at encampment, many folks would be using a base track, so puking outboard would be a RH turn, after all.

Only we Captalk types would get legalistic about a barf joke, right! (grin)

Cheers,
Spam

A real live track, at an Army Guard Base? Really? Please send pictures! >:D

Spam

Your wish is my command, Sahib.  One track, on an Army Guard Base, straight up.

V/R
Spam

PHall

Quote from: Spam on October 01, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Your wish is my command, Sahib.  One track, on an Army Guard Base, straight up.

V/R
Spam

Okay funny man, now run a lap on that track! >:D

abdsp51

Dealt with a bat infestation during AZ wings encampent last year. 

Got dive bombed a few times by them too. 

PHall

We have our yearly encounter with the Swallows at Camp San Luis Obispo. They're VERY GOOD at defending their nests.
Especially when they build one on the Dining Facility....

Luis R. Ramos

Okay funny man, now run a lap on that track!

Don't ask him that as he may end driving one. And squashing the runners!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 02, 2015, 01:16:15 PM
Okay funny man, now run a lap on that track!

Don't ask him that as he may end driving one. And squashing the runners!

And improve the run times. I have no problems with that! >:D

Spam

Natural selection is an observable proven mechanism which drives changes in populations... so yeah, the average run times and the outlier data would certainly change. (bet y'all didn't expect that out of a Southerner... that natural selection is a testable process?)

I do remember PFT runs at one of my bases (Navy) where the skinny fast sailors were all out front, challenging for the lead, followed by the vast herd of the unwashed masses, followed by the panting sweating fat trays who were on the verge of failing out, followed by a group of aging senior NCOs (Navy Chiefs), easily jogging with their bellies jiggling left and right and packs of cigs in their rolled up T shirt sleeves, occasionally calling out "better run now, boy, or you'll lose liberty!", followed by the corpsman driving the van with the flashers on for drops.  Ah, those were sights to see.  No tanks, though. I think the Marines used them perhaps.

V/R,
Spam

C/CMSgt Allen

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 28, 2015, 08:10:12 PM
Quote from: C/MSgt Allen on September 28, 2015, 07:48:18 PM
We were running the mile one morning and the guy in front of me decided he was going to puke and continue running while puking. Let's just say my clothes smelled like puke the rest of encampment.

Ah, yes, running and puking. That feeling you get after like "Ah, finally....power burst!"

Once watched a girl throw up running a two-mile and a dozen other people step in it as they ran. In the end, hey, at least you didn't quit, and, literally, kept chugging along...upchugging at that.  :P

Any chance you know what squadron the person was from?
Unfortunately no. It was 2 years ago.

FlyBoy01

I remember this summer's encampment.  I was the Mess OIC, and a few others from Support Staff were off duty, and relaxing in HQ.  There were snacks.  To name one, swedish fish.  Someone was eating out of the bag, and another staff member wanted one.  She gave one to him, and he put it in his mouth.  IT WAS WET!!! EWW!  He spat it out, rolled on the floor for a bit, then climbed out the window. 

That was a funny day!

conca27

So, I was a flight sergeant at the 2014 New York Wing Encampment. The inflights there sleep 10 to a cabin with one cadet staff member and one senior member in the cabin as well. I was the staff member in my cabin and one morning when I woke up, my senior member told me that I had been calling drill commands in my sleep. He also said that my flight was in step during my sleepwalking, so I know it must have been a weird dream. Because only in dreams do cadets stay in step.
New York Wing Encampment 2013 - Echo Inflight
New York Wing Encampment 2014 - Foxtrot Flight Sergeant
Air Force Civil Engineering Academy 2015 - Graduate
Rochester Composite Squadron - Alpha Flight Commander; Operations Officer
Billy Mitchell Award #66326

Raikkonen

Quote from: Spam on October 03, 2015, 11:38:46 PM
Natural selection is an observable proven mechanism which drives changes in populations... so yeah, the average run times and the outlier data would certainly change. (bet y'all didn't expect that out of a Southerner... that natural selection is a testable process?)

I do remember PFT runs at one of my bases (Navy) where the skinny fast sailors were all out front, challenging for the lead, followed by the vast herd of the unwashed masses, followed by the panting sweating fat trays who were on the verge of failing out, followed by a group of aging senior NCOs (Navy Chiefs), easily jogging with their bellies jiggling left and right and packs of cigs in their rolled up T shirt sleeves, occasionally calling out "better run now, boy, or you'll lose liberty!", followed by the corpsman driving the van with the flashers on for drops.  Ah, those were sights to see.  No tanks, though. I think the Marines used them perhaps.

V/R,
Spam

Ahhhh, that takes me back!!!  4th Brigade, 10th Mountain Division in Fort Polk, LA.  A hot, sweaty mess of 900 people with all of us Seniors yelling at the fat bellies and fall outs for 4 miles.  Good times.  Good times.  Thank you for that brother.

C/CMSGTfordayz

2015 NYWg Encampment.  The cadets sleep in "bungalow's" and not in any particular order-the flights are completely split up.  Somehow, probably 7 of the 12 cadets in my bungalow were all from Golf, my flight.  The Flight Sergeant and Flight Commander also happened to be with us in that bungalow.  Anyways, on the 2nd or 3rd night someone said "Goodnight mom" to the Sergeant as he left for a staff gathering.  This continued to the point where we were writing notes for him and leaving them on his pillow.  Finally someone called him "mom" in a formal setting.  Needless to say, there was no more of that.  One of the cadets in our sister flight, Hotel, was a guy I knew from my home squadron.  He was showing a few guys in his flight his boot buffing skills (he was actually really good), and it snowballed.  By the time his flight moved on to a class he must've buffed 50-60 cadets boots because more and more just kept lining up.  On the fourth or fifth day when we went on a C-130 ride, the pilots bet on how many cadets they could get to throw up.

C/Loya

Quote from: nesagsar on March 30, 2008, 02:27:03 AM
How about stealing a belt of ammunition off of an Air Force firing range and showing it off at the squadron office when you get home.

Or how about a senior member droping a loaded and ready M9 during a live fire demonstration in front of cadets.

Someone decided to try and steal one bullet, use one fake dummy bullet. And we got the "friendly" treatment from one of the Marines that was there at the shooting range with us. The Marine started to say that he was going to call MP's and have them interrogate every cadet in the squadron. Luckily we found the round and after getting chewed out by command staff, headed back to the barracks. It wasn't even a real bullet, just a fake one in a magazine.  :clap:

Garibaldi

Ugh....WIWAC, these may have been funny, but I'm sensing some Core Value violations here...theft of anything from a rock to a rocket is pretty serious to the military. They have to account for EVERYTHING, including expended ammo.

Sorry, kids...don't try this at home.  From what I've heard MCLB Albany is being very gracious in allowing us to hold encampment there. Don't do anything to jeopardize it for the future.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Loya

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 15, 2016, 11:53:03 AM
Ugh....WIWAC, these may have been funny, but I'm sensing some Core Value violations here...theft of anything from a rock to a rocket is pretty serious to the military. They have to account for EVERYTHING, including expended ammo.

Sorry, kids...don't try this at home.  From what I've heard MCLB Albany is being very gracious in allowing us to hold encampment there. Don't do anything to jeopardize it for the future.

Agreed, we are very lucky to be there.

Spam

From a financial standpoint, certainly.

V/R
Spam

PReeves