Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 26, 2012, 01:48:37 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 26, 2012, 01:47:31 AM
Beats the time I got the fire department out to our building at work because I burned a bagel.

Entire dorms have been evacuated for burnt popcorn before ;).

My year at COS, I set my microwave a-smokin with popcorm or something like that and set the alarm off in my room...really interesting for me to get that conveyed to the people coming to check it out. I was on the 3rd or 4th floor so I had opened my window to clear out the smoke and the people down on the ground were yelling at me.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

C/2d Lt

I cant forget the terrible storm and all of us including staff having to sleep in the mess hall
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: C/MSgt on September 17, 2012, 01:05:55 AM
I cant forget the terrible storm and all of us including staff having to sleep in the mess hall
That's nothing; at my encampment we had a terrible storm and they thought the barracks might fall over. So they evacuated into a nearby theater which has a stage in it. Then to make us forget about the storm the staff got up on the stage and started doing a bunch of skits. It was "hilarious"!!!!
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

That Anonymous Guy

Well staff were in tents usually, but I remember I guess it was an hour after lights out? Anyway my buddy wakes me up and this one kid cadet is sitting in his cot, eyes wide open like a deer in headlights and people had to run back into the bungalow to get him. And 3 hours later after we were all sleeping my battle buddy woke me up TWICE to use the restrooms

Jon Knapp

Quote from: CadetColonelToBe on September 23, 2012, 03:15:08 AM
That's nothing; at my encampment we had a terrible storm and they thought the barracks might fall over. So they evacuated into a nearby theater which has a stage in it. Then to make us forget about the storm the staff got up on the stage and started doing a bunch of skits. It was "hilarious"!!!!

Was your encampment at Fort Pickett...I have stayed many a nights at Fort Pickett and thought the same thing about the barracks falling over...lol.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Garibaldi

At my first and second encampments at Fort Benning, if you sneezed wrong, the barracks would shudder. One cadet got it in his head that swinging from the rafters was a good idea and stopped only when it gave under his hand. The time-honored way of melting shoe polish into a boot with a lighter was forbidden because it was felt that even a small spark would send the barracks up in flames in about 20 seconds.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Jon Knapp

That's funny...hope there wasn't a safety report...lol.  My last encampment was like that...except I was a flight commander trying to keep the basic cadets from doing that...lol.

SARMan

I was on staff, and got bored so I started a staff MRE/ candy black market. Surpisingly ( or probably not so much ), candy was in high demand with the staff towards the middle of the week. They were willing to pay a ton for like five skittles lol. I didnt do too bad as far as profit goes. I walked out of encampment with more money than i had when i went in.
Ranger 1st Class, GTM1, all that stuff....

Jon Knapp

Yeah...I think I did too...

ol'fido

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 24, 2012, 11:15:35 PM
At my first and second encampments at Fort Benning, if you sneezed wrong, the barracks would shudder. One cadet got it in his head that swinging from the rafters was a good idea and stopped only when it gave under his hand. The time-honored way of melting shoe polish into a boot with a lighter was forbidden because it was felt that even a small spark would send the barracks up in flames in about 20 seconds.
Sounds like Harmony Church.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on October 01, 2012, 12:09:46 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on September 24, 2012, 11:15:35 PM
Sounds like Harmony Church.

I think that's what it was called. The barracks had a nice view of the airfield.

GunnersMate99

My first encampment was at the Great Lakes Naval Base in Illinois. I was in Delta flight and we were probably made up of the scraps of the worst cadets in CAP. The worst part of it was out Flight seargent was a short fat ginger who was really hard to take seriously.

Well by the end of encampment my flight's staff was completely different. Our flight commander changed the second weekend because the original was late and was taken off of command. The last day of encampment our flight seargent (The one who EVERYONE hated, even the other flights) left before our graduation so we got a new flight seargent.

Garibaldi

Quote from: GunnersMate99 on November 04, 2012, 06:32:52 PM
My first encampment was at the Great Lakes Naval Base in Illinois. I was in Delta flight and we were probably made up of the scraps of the worst cadets in CAP. The worst part of it was out Flight seargent was a short fat ginger who was really hard to take seriously.

Well by the end of encampment my flight's staff was completely different. Our flight commander changed the second weekend because the original was late and was taken off of command. The last day of encampment our flight seargent (The one who EVERYONE hated, even the other flights) left before our graduation so we got a new flight seargent.

So...they aren't using Volk Field anymore?

docbiochem33

My encampment when I was a cadet was at Phelps Collins ANGB (now Alpena CRTC).  A cadet officer from my unit was on staff and made a few mistakes while there.  He fell asleep during a class and we all saw him.  We reported it and he got stuck with the rock people that who screwed up had to carry for a day.

Another cadet officer was walking backwards and ran into a telephone pole.  Although this would have been funny in and of itself, but he had to take it one step further.  He instantly turned around and saluted the telephone pole thinking it was an officer.  It got a good laugh out of a lot of people.

The best "accident" I saw was not at an encampment it was when I was a medic at OCS for the army national guard.  The junior class was practicing for retreat and the candidate who was to pull the tail on the cannon did so while practicing setting it off.  Because there was not enough time to reload it, they had him yell "BOOM" at retreat.  The entire place lost it.  The Deputy Commander for the facility kept yelling for us to stop laughing and we did about 5 minutes later.  That candidate was not on that detail again.

Cadets, don't worry, even the professionals make mistakes.

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 04, 2012, 07:00:00 PM

This was the Illinois Wing Spring Encampment he went to.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 04, 2012, 07:25:21 PM

Slightly curious as to when this was, since this does not sync with my recollection.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Spring was never at Volk. Summer has not been at Volk since 2004 I believe. Let me think...'05, '06, and '07 were at Marseilles Training Center and '08-'12 have been at Camp Lincoln in Springfield, IL.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2012, 07:26:55 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 04, 2012, 07:25:21 PM

Slightly curious as to when this was, since this does not sync with my recollection.

I've heard of a similar event, but not quite how it is presented here...

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on November 05, 2012, 03:47:29 AM

Spring was never at Volk. Summer has not been at Volk since 2004 I believe. Let me think...'05, '06, and '07 were at Marseilles Training Center and '08-'12 have been at Camp Lincoln in Springfield, IL.

They didn't have those things when I was in WIWG, hence my confusion. The last time I went to Volk for summer encampment was in 94 I think.

ol'fido

Confused here. "Things"? Do you mean summer encampments? ???