Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on July 04, 2010, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: StarFirePigeon on July 04, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
   GAWG Encampment '10  My room mates and me made grilled cheese and hot cocoa w/ irons

Oh goodness, I know your name. Well, I know the name of everyone in room 216.

GO DELTA!

Honor Cadet, GAWG Encampment 2010
Congrats on the Honor Cadet award!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

So I promised to share a story from encampment, in return for telling one about NJROTC.

We were not given any criteria sheets on how Honor Cadet was selected, but this is my understanding- any GAWG staff who were at encampment, you may correct me. I base this on the criteria I viewed on my certificate and the individual (non team/flight) activities I remember.

Honor Cadet is really only a competition between 7 cadets- the 150 dooleys were split into seven flights (Alpha-Golf). If you didn't receive a nomination from your Flt/CC and Flt/Sgt, you couldn't run for Honor Cadet. You also had to take a PT and academics test- I believe the personal inspection counted as well (I was inspected by a SPAATZ! Pretty cool).

So of the twenty plus cadets per flight, one cadet was nominated. Seven competitors for HC based on their abilities in normal performance, plus impressing the flight staff enough to be viewed as a good candidate for the title.

I had two competitors I was worried might receive the nomination- one was an extremely motivated cadet who showed his motivation through sheer volume- it only got worse once the staff explained diaphragm use.  :o Well, he wasn't so great at drill- he admitted this himself, but they made him guidon. He really did fairly decent, but one night he forgot the guidon completely- left it in the barracks. I think that was the main reason he didn't get the Flt/CC's support.

The only other cadet would probably have Honor Cadet without any tie, period. I really believe that. She was an exceptionally smart person, JROTC, good people skills, and not one of those who try to talk- she proved it by doing.
A little info, flashback if you will
My flight was seriously the worst one at encampment- immaturity was the motto, apparently. We had to get another Flt/CC because our first was injured during Ultimate Frisbee. That created it's own problems, on top of the Flt/Sgt being a bit immature. Lots of factors which normally wouldn't occur added up- people were getting discouraged...

Enter my female competition-
She became the very opposite of what she started out as, and she started as the most motivated of all.
Disagreeing with the skit we were to perform (which had been chosen by our Flt/Staff because the cadets wouldn't), she began to cuss the C/Chief out "That stupid [name removed] wants us to do this [dumb (arsonist)] skit when-"
Chief was standing right next to her. Oops.

I stayed motivated and tried to push everyone in the right direction throughout the week. I felt like quitting (as in giving up on the cadets) but I knew I couldn't. I was happy that everyone started being friends near the end, and it was just a nice plus that I was rewarded for not being apathetic.

High Speed Low Drag

There were some cadets that were taking the sugar packets from the dining facility, melting the sugar on irons, and used Q-tip sticks to make lolipops.  Not only that - they were selling them to cadets from the other flights.  Ended up having the staff remove all the sugar packets from all of the tables every mealtime.

Needless to say that when they got caught, it wasn't pretty.

The funniest thing about it was a cadet had made the lollipops tried to iron his blues - Had a huge splotch in the back of the shirt from the burnt sugar.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

juicedude10

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 05:01:28 AM
First encampment circa winter 1998 Homestead ARB - fire drill right in the middle of shower/personal time, next year the ops order was very specific on the types of underwear permitted and required a bathrobe or "beach towel" and the fire drill was moved to a different time.
During contraband check a cadet had fireworks confiscated from him, he said they were for New Years.
I also learned at that encampment that while I was able to deal with blues shoes that were a little too small for 2 hours once a month, I was unable to deal with it at encampment. Didn't help that I had 4 ingrown toenails.

Summer 2003, Camp Blanding FL - not really funny, but over 20 cadets completely ignored the bold "drink plenty of water prior to arrival" in the ops order and passed out during in processing. Black flag conditions all 9 days of encampment.

SER winter encampment 07 - in the middle of a staff meeting the entire staff was mobilized to search for a missing flight sergeant, he was latter found in his bed, asleep "mummified" in his blankets.
This was also the encampment that I learned it can get down to single digits in FL. Nothing like running around to all the barracks at 2am with space heaters waking up and moving around cadets. I was waking this one cadet to move him from his bed to a different one so we could but a space heater there, he would not wake up for anything, including picking the bed frame an inch off the ground an dropping it, so I started snapping about 2 inches from his head. He finally woke up and went "duuuuddddeeee what the fuc... yes sir?" Another one wouldn't wake up and we still had 4 buildings to put heaters in so we got six people and picked up his entire bed and moved him, he woke up mid move, it was priceless.

You should've gone Army style.  When my dad was in Desert Storm as an officer, his sergeant picked his sleeping bag up, w/ him in it and chucked it across the room!

HGjunkie

Quote from: juicedude10 on July 05, 2010, 02:23:25 AM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 05:01:28 AM
First encampment circa winter 1998 Homestead ARB - fire drill right in the middle of shower/personal time, next year the ops order was very specific on the types of underwear permitted and required a bathrobe or "beach towel" and the fire drill was moved to a different time.
During contraband check a cadet had fireworks confiscated from him, he said they were for New Years.
I also learned at that encampment that while I was able to deal with blues shoes that were a little too small for 2 hours once a month, I was unable to deal with it at encampment. Didn't help that I had 4 ingrown toenails.

Summer 2003, Camp Blanding FL - not really funny, but over 20 cadets completely ignored the bold "drink plenty of water prior to arrival" in the ops order and passed out during in processing. Black flag conditions all 9 days of encampment.

SER winter encampment 07 - in the middle of a staff meeting the entire staff was mobilized to search for a missing flight sergeant, he was latter found in his bed, asleep "mummified" in his blankets.
This was also the encampment that I learned it can get down to single digits in FL. Nothing like running around to all the barracks at 2am with space heaters waking up and moving around cadets. I was waking this one cadet to move him from his bed to a different one so we could but a space heater there, he would not wake up for anything, including picking the bed frame an inch off the ground an dropping it, so I started snapping about 2 inches from his head. He finally woke up and went "duuuuddddeeee what the fuc... yes sir?" Another one wouldn't wake up and we still had 4 buildings to put heaters in so we got six people and picked up his entire bed and moved him, he woke up mid move, it was priceless.

You should've gone Army style.  When my dad was in Desert Storm as an officer, his sergeant picked his sleeping bag up, w/ him in it and chucked it across the room!
Not to be a joykill, but that PROBABLY would not be a good idea due to the CPPT.  :)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 04:06:30 AM

Not to be a joykill, but that PROBABLY would not be a good idea due to the CPPT.  :)

The fact that the Sgt did that to his officer....

As an officer hopeful, I'd say I'd be having a whole lot of fun seeing how many practical jokes I could get my lower enlisted to pull on their Sgt >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on July 05, 2010, 04:09:23 AM

...Is absolutely hilarious. Threw C&C right out the window! ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

juicedude10

Quote from: DakRadz on July 05, 2010, 04:09:23 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 04:06:30 AM

As an officer hopeful, I'd say I'd be having a whole lot of fun seeing how many practical jokes I could get my lower enlisted to pull on their Sgt >:D

Well, my dad woke up in mid air, and those two were good friends, so he didn't care.  And then...out in a field op, my dad was communications, and he pinned the sgt's. hand to a half stick of dynamite/grenade simulator. 

DakRadz

Quote from: DakRadz on July 04, 2010, 05:35:42 PM

I had two competitors I was worried might receive the nomination- one was an extremely motivated cadet who showed his motivation through sheer volume- it only got worse once the staff explained diaphragm use.  :o Well, he wasn't so great at drill- he admitted this himself, but they made him guidon. He really did fairly decent, but one night he forgot the guidon completely- left it in the barracks. I think that was the main reason he didn't get the Flt/CC's support.

FAIL
He was told not to bring the guidon. Now, our Flight Staff did get mad at him-  THEY TOLD HIM NOT TO BRING IT!

I still think this is why he wasn't the nominee, even though he was following orders; I thought that he had assumed not to bring it (we were at a civies dance/banquet)- the reason I thought it was his own decision is because our Flt/CC and /Sgt looked at him with dagger eyes.

Hmmm.. Mr. Guidon may have deserved to compete then. I think so.
My apologies for the misinformation.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

I wouldn't say I caught my own... He apparently has a CAPTalk. He confronted me with less anger than he was rightly entitled too; therefore I made the correction with great haste, though not enough to make another mistake.

If you see this, Mr. Guidon, I apologize. Of course, I can also say this on Facebook. But here, all the CAPTalk folks will see it too.
And I can't believe Chief and Lt gave you looks the way they did if you were just following orders... Chief looked extremely ticked at *you*- doesn't seem fair now that I know it was really their fault. Meh.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on July 06, 2010, 02:44:56 AM
I wouldn't say I caught my own... He apparently has a CAPTalk. He confronted me with less anger than he was rightly entitled too; therefore I made the correction with great haste, though not enough to make another mistake.

If you see this, Mr. Guidon, I apologize. Of course, I can also say this on Facebook. But here, all the CAPTalk folks will see it too.
And I can't believe Chief and Lt gave you looks the way they did if you were just following orders... Chief looked extremely ticked at *you*- doesn't seem fair now that I know it was really their fault. Meh.
Well, it made sense to post the win because we can't see what's going on behind the scenes... unless I missed something (probably the case).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

viperred396

One of my favorite moments from the 2010 COWG encampment was after the wing inspection my entire squadron (approx. 60 cadets) were in one dorm hallway and whenever a staff member walked by the greetings got louder and louder until as soon as a staff member walked in every one yelled in unison "GOOD AFTERNOON SIR/SERGEANT!!!"  now this in itself was amusing but what made it better was one staff member ran through the hall making a "wave" of greetings

HGjunkie

Quote from: viperred396 on July 07, 2010, 10:23:24 PM
One of my favorite moments from the 2010 COWG encampment was after the wing inspection my entire squadron (approx. 60 cadets) were in one dorm hallway and whenever a staff member walked by the greetings got louder and louder until as soon as a staff member walked in every one yelled in unison "GOOD AFTERNOON SIR/SARGENT!!!"  now this in itself was amusing but what made it better was one staff member ran through the hall making a "wave" of greetings
Dadgumit, this is the second time i've had to bust somebody for this.  ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

viperred396

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 07, 2010, 10:26:00 PM
fixed

FlyTiger77

One of my favorite moments from the 2010 COWG encampment was after the wing inspection my entire squadron (approx. 60 cadets) were in one dorm hallway and whenever a staff member walked by the greetings got louder and louder until as soon as a staff member walked in every one yelled in unison "GOOD AFTERNOON SIR/SARGENT!!!"  now this in itself was amusing but what made it better was one staff member ran through the hall making a "wave" of greetings

I believe "dadgummit" has two "M's".   ;)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 08, 2010, 02:01:37 AM

I believe "dadgummit" has two "M's".   ;)
I was trying to figure out what I did wrong. +3 to you good sir!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

HGjunkie

I just remembered an interesting story about my basic encampment... I was the flight guidon bearer for India Flight. the staff stole our guidon and put pink cloth over our "I". needless to say, it was hilarious going around an AFB all week with "Pink Eye"... we got to take it off for the "Dooley 500" (P&R). PR guys took plenty of pictures of it though... almost everyone in my group knew about it. I was practically famous.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF