Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

NBB0058

^ its ok, i did not mean to lash out at you, other people on here et under your nerves just because they can, so i thought you were one of them  ;D

PHall

NBB0058, one thing you will learn very quickly here on the Internets.
Emotions, especially sarcasm, are pretty hard to communicate.
Hence the labels some people use. [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]

HGjunkie

FL winter encampment 09-10, in my barracks tent (14-16 doolies, one staff) on new years eve, we didnt hear the retreat go off on the loudspeaker, and we stayed up till around midnight partying around. of course we didnt know we werent supposed to be doing that, but noone came in to see what was going on :-[ ::). we still had to wake up at 5AM though. :-[
same encampment, the barracks tents we were aggigned to had heating units behind them, and ours kept breaking in the midle of the night and kept blowing cold air on us. not fun in below freezing temp :-\.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

It gets below freezing in FL?!?

SarDragon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on May 10, 2010, 03:43:47 AM

It gets cold enough to be able to walk in the morning onto "crunchy grass".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

I lived in Miami until 1980..

I recall a few mornings with crunchy grass, and frosty cars, and a slab of ice on the bicycle seat before I went to school..

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6057042n - CBS News

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-380384 - Frozen oranges in St. John.

http://farmlandforecast.colvin-co.com/2010/01/22/picture-of-the-week-frozen-oranges-in-florida.aspx

These are from this last Winter, too.

SarDragon

That's Miami. I lived in Jacksonville, about 10 hours north.

I think I scraped more pre-dawn ice there, on a per year basis, than I have here in San Diego. Certainly the higher humidity was a contributing factor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spike

^ San Diego has the best weather in all of the United States, so says the "polls"!!

Plus it is a nice City. 

HGjunkie

/quote

Yeah, we had a freak cold front, and needless to say, we were pretty much freezing all day.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Grumpy

Quote from: Spike on May 12, 2010, 01:33:40 AM
^ San Diego has the best weather in all of the United States, so says the "polls"!!

Plus it is a nice City.

For a sanctuary city.  Got illegals?

SarDragon

Geez, Grump, now I've got tea in my sinuses.

Happy now???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Survivor

Heres one. At our encampment, on the day Michael Jackson died, some guys came running down the barracks screaming "Michael jackson is dead, Michael Jackson is dead!". We all got a kick out of it.

DakRadz

Okay, so my memory is from JROTC, Navy style. It's just too good to *not* post, I realize after writing  ;D

I promise to post an encampment story before school starts back up.
Here How It Works
At the camp, the returning cadets (CAP= cadet staff) are called GAs- Graduate Assistants.

Now, GAs have been through it all, cadet-wise. Basic Leadership Training (encampment as a doolie) and Leadership Academy (COS)- so they go as basic cadets to both, just to have a leadership position their last high school summer.
As you can imagine, these cadets feel they have some privileges- electronics of all sorts, contraband candy, and they don't particularly follow rules about the tidiness of rooms.

Get Ready
Our E-7 retired Chief decides that he'll mess with the cadets, and proceeds to toss any room, of any platoon (even if they weren't his, I mean), so long as the room is untidy. Chief could trash a room, trust me. Well, not me, but the ones whose rooms he did toss, I witnessed after the fact.

Get Set!
After concluding the required daily tasks per regs, we returned to our rooms to find what Chief had done. Mine was untouched, but due to a fluke I had a six person suite to myself- wasn't hard to keep it up. Cots were in showers, blankets were soaked and placed in freezers, and general mayhem with beds pulled apart and piled on the floor.

The best part? The GAs received the EXACT same treatment- Chief had gone through the upstairs and tossed bunks, piled contraband, and made the assistants realize that not everyone felt the same concerning their "privileges."

Sounds like a lesson in leadership, right?

Except... One mistake was made that day.

Oh!....
While tossing the rooms, Chief had gotten a little lost (or so I would suppose), and trashed a room which he would have done well to never look into.

An E-9. Master Chief. Who was a rival Instructor of another platoon.

Now, our Chief would NEVER do this on purpose. Through bad luck and coincidence, an instructor was roomed unusually close to cadets, and as our beloved DI was making his "rounds" he stumbled into a hornet's nest.

This spread through the ranks, of course. We would have realized anyway when Chief called "Attention on deck!" for another enlisted man. We competed hard against Bravo* and Charlie platoons, but gave every courtesy to that Master Chief- otherwise our DI would have taken care of the problem.

Fly Boy

This story isn't very funny but i think it is very interesting.

My doolie encampment (2009 FLWG Summer Encampment) I was 3rd squad leader and it just so happend that the squad leaders from Hotel flight (my flight) were all next to eachother in the barracks. So one night during "free time" i was polishing my boots to a mirror shine when one cadet said that I looked like Forrest Gump shining his boots. The name stuck. And I outshined my Flight Sgt. and Commander  ;D

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

HGjunkie

Quote from: Fly Boy on June 17, 2010, 04:49:16 PM
This story isn't very funny but i think it is very interesting.

My doolie encampment (2009 FLWG Summer Encampment) I was 3rd squad leader and it just so happend that the squad leaders from Hotel flight (my flight) were all next to eachother in the barracks. So one night during "free time" i was polishing my boots to a mirror shine when one cadet said that I looked like Forrest Gump shining his boots. The name stuck. And I outshined my Flight Sgt. and Commander  ;D
RUN FORREST RUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!11 ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

pbcheez

my best buddy was nicknamed the "Dungeon Master" for organizing a game of Dungeons and Dragons in the day room back in BMT. they quiz you regularly on the paygrades and rank isignias and they would always call him over and ask:
"Trainee, what is the paygrade of a Dungeon Master?"
"Sir, Trainee Gonzo reports as ordered. There is no paygrade for the rank of Dungeon Master, it does not exist!"
"Correct!, give me 50 pushups!"

they did this atleast once every day. they messed with him to the point where whenever they called him over he just automatically get on his face and they would just wait a bit and tell him to go away lol. this guy was a skinny nerdy type in the beginning and at the end wound up doing 80somting pushups on his PT-test. ::)

StarFirePigeon

GAWG Encampment '10  My room mates and me made grilled cheese and hot cocoa w/ irons

DakRadz

Quote from: StarFirePigeon on July 04, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
   GAWG Encampment '10  My room mates and me made grilled cheese and hot cocoa w/ irons

Oh goodness, I know your name. Well, I know the name of everyone in room 216.

GO DELTA!

Honor Cadet, GAWG Encampment 2010

HGjunkie

Quote from: StarFirePigeon on July 04, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
Oh lawdy.. I guess you have to have been there to believe it! ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF