Senior Member job performance evaluations

Started by LtCol057, October 08, 2009, 06:07:09 AM

Airrace

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 08, 2009, 06:07:09 AM
How many of you that are commanders do a job performance evaluation on your senior members that hold staff positions?  We're supposed to do them on cadets, but what about the seniors?

I have a senior member that I'm consistently having to contact about the monthly reports that he's supposed to do.  When he doesn't do them, I get an email (or call) from the group commander wanting to know why the reports weren't turned in on time.  This SM is an officer, and already hinting around that his TIG for promotion to Capt is coming up.  At this time, I'm really leaning towards telling him that I will not be promoting him because of this problem, but I want a way of documenting his slack job performance.

I know there used to be a version of a military OER on the NHQ website in the best practices, but can't find it now.  Any of you have something like this?

Try and take the time a week or so before the reports are due to remind him and then one to two days before the deadline make sure that he has done it. Give him three months to get it done on time and then start to look for someone else to do it. I also would remind him that no promotions will be granted if he can't get his tasks done in a timely manner.  I know it's hand holding and we should all be adults but remember this is an organization that doesn't pay it members. 

LtCol057

For the last 3 or 4 months, I've sent out an email about 10 days before reports are due reminding them.  I also verbally remind those that I see at the last meeting before reports are due. 

It's extremely hard to hold a senior meeting when only 1 shows up.  The previous commander quit with no notice saying the CAP is using computers too much and he's not computer literate.  He and all the other flying group got po'd when Wg took the aircraft.  He had been told for several months that we were going to lose the plane if they didn't put some time on it.  They would put maybe 2-3 hours a month on it.  I don't blame Wg for taking it back.  Every one of the pilots let their quals expire.  3 of them wouldn't drive 25 miles to get a Form 5 checkflight, but they'll drive 125 miles 2-3 times a month for a weekend at the beach.

When I took the job as commander, I didn't make any changes right off. I wanted to observe first.  I scheduled a staff meeting after I'd been commander 3 months.  I drove 60 miles for the meeting.  Not the first person showed up other than 2 members that weren't on staff. 
At this point, I'm about a hair away from requesting a change from a composite to a cadet squadron.

PHall

LtCol057, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but document everything.

So when you have your little sit down with your problem child you have stuff to back you up when they decide to complain to the group commander about you not promoting them.

You also need this stuff to write the OPR anyway. Unless you're into writing "fiction"...

LtCol057

That was something I learned in the army as well as in EMS. To CYA, as well as CYOA. 

flyguy06

Quote from: heliodoc on October 13, 2009, 01:47:04 PM
After going thru the CERT TTT through the State EMA

jimmydeano hits it on the head. 

Some of the membership will leave due to poor leadership and CAP really HAS to get over the PowerPoint way of doing all.

If the Sqdn or the Wing for that fact.... has no real program or even cares about the volunteers...... why stick around.

Further, the rank and grade in CAP, may or may not appeal to everyone.  Certainly, it does not to me after my 22 in RM and pretty much the folks I run with, in and out of the RM, see CAP rank and grade as pretty hokey, anyhow.  Might make  a few people feeeeeeel good, but in reality...if the people are personable and knowledgeable in an organization and don't flaunt CAP rank and grade, AND can show a true interest in delivering the CAP mission to adult learners, then the Sqdn can be on to something...........

Yeah CAPTalkers can yip about self starters and all that....but go through a real education program and see what is taught.   The older the member, the more engagement is needed to either keep that person interested or active, or they will simply leave.

Can not CAP understand that SIMPLE premise of of a better program that just sitting through PowerPoint presentations.... you can get them anywhere..... Business and government would be nowhere without PowerPoint nowadays.

CAP simply HAS to change it ways after 68 years and Death by PowerPoint,online testing, etc,  like the CAP safety program, has swung the pendulum so far that it is really hard for CAP to even identify the simplest in ideas in how to keep the people it has and stop worrying on how they recruit.

Have a program that is interesting and not just a bunch of reg rehash every week and just MAYBE folks will stick around and talk up the CAP program.  Otherwise, here is one for CAP to learn, they will just go away without having anything positive about CAP.  Most of the SM's in my Sqdn have a love/hate about CAP which is pretty much culture in CAP and agree CAP needs some massive changes.

I totally agree which is why I continue to preach that CAP needs something other than an online Level I program. CAP needs a hands on basic training program for new members (something similar to RSC)

SarDragon

We used to have one. I used to teach the classes in my group. They took it away. What can I say?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Why cant you keep doing it at your Squadron?

SarDragon

It isn't really productive to teach one or two people at a time. Part of the benefit of the olde course was the student interaction, as has been discussed regarding SLS and CLC. I used to teach 15-20 student classes.

In addition, our commander has pretty much taken control of Level I training.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

I'm not neccessarily saying level one should be changed.i am saying we need to revamp the whole indoc process. In the SDF ( a volunteer organization) new members from throughout the state gather at one central place for a weekend of "basic training" Of course not like the real military basic but darn close. The have formations, inspections. learn how to wear the uniform, learn military customs and curteousies )not just read about it on the internet, but are physically shown and demonstrated by instructors).

Just like cadet encampments have sm TAC Officers, we could have SM TAC's for new senior members for one lousy weekend. Whats wrong with that idea?

Gunner C

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 14, 2009, 11:52:47 AM
I'm not neccessarily saying level one should be changed.i am saying we need to revamp the whole indoc process. In the SDF ( a volunteer organization) new members from throughout the state gather at one central place for a weekend of "basic training" Of course not like the real military basic but darn close. The have formations, inspections. learn how to wear the uniform, learn military customs and curteousies )not just read about it on the internet, but are physically shown and demonstrated by instructors).

Just like cadet encampments have sm TAC Officers, we could have SM TAC's for new senior members for one lousy weekend. Whats wrong with that idea?

Nothing. That's about what the olde Level I classes were like, except just one day. Didn't you ever attend one?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2009, 05:36:25 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 14, 2009, 11:52:47 AM

Nothing. That's about what the olde Level I classes were like, except just one day. Didn't you ever attend one?

I am a former cadet. but I remeber Level one being a video or something like that.  I dont remember having formations  or anything like that

SarDragon

It's hard to pack how to do a formation in with the other stuff when there's only one day to teach the material. There was a video, divided into five lessons. Each segment had accompanying lecture material, to which I added some practical material, like saluting, and some discussion on uniform wear. The instructor team wore different uniforms, so the students could see what they were supposed to look like, beyond the marginal pictures in the 39-1.

Certainly not all Level I classes in my wing were that thorough, but my group figured that a little extra effort up front would cut down on problems later.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 15, 2009, 07:49:13 AM
It's hard to pack how to do a formation in with the other stuff when there's only one day to teach the material. There was a video, divided into five lessons. Each segment had accompanying lecture material, to which I added some practical material, like saluting, and some discussion on uniform wear. The instructor team wore different uniforms, so the students could see what they were supposed to look like, beyond the marginal pictures in the 39-1.

Certainly not all Level I classes in my wing were that thorough, but my group figured that a little extra effort up front would cut down on problems later.

Thats my point. Your program sounds like a good one. But it does no good if only one squadron does that and the rest of CAP is doing something totally differnt. We need standardization. We all need to be on the same sheet of music.

Camas

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 15, 2009, 05:34:24 AM
I am a former cadet. but I remeber Level one being a video or something like that.  I don't remember having formations  or anything like that
The formations, as you probably know, aren't really a part of the senior member initial training program - no secret here. And yes, the old course was pretty much a "death by powerpoint" course conducted over a 6 or 8 hour period depending on how much time was taken with questions and/or discussion. Many course directors and instructors take it upon themselves to ensure that participants can, at least, stand at attending, salute and report to senior officers. That's not really asking much of anyone. Perhaps a few basic moves such as facing movements certainly wouldn't hurt. Time can be well spent on going over proper uniformity as well.

flyguy06

They need to get the new snior mwmbers out of the clasrooms and onto the dril field. They should practice formations. I would hope that most squadrons (even senior squadrons) have opening formations and ward formations, so that is something practical you could use in CAP.

Definantly not only show how to wear the uniform, bu twhats  wrong with having"OMG"and actual uniform inspection (again, you could practice your formations in conjunction)?

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 15, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
They need to get the new snior mwmbers out of the clasrooms and onto the dril field. They should practice formations. I would hope that most squadrons (even senior squadrons) have opening formations and ward formations, so that is something practical you could use in CAP.

Definantly not only show how to wear the uniform, bu twhats  wrong with having"OMG"and actual uniform inspection (again, you could practice your formations in conjunction)?

Flyguy, I sure hope you drill better then you type. Do you even look at what you type before you hit the Post button?

If one of your enlisted guys turned out work like this the First Sergeant would be in his face Big Time!

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 16, 2009, 01:31:56 AM

You know how it is Dave, you kinda expect officers to have a passing knowledge of writing in English.
Bachelors Degree and all that.