Senior Member job performance evaluations

Started by LtCol057, October 08, 2009, 06:07:09 AM

LtCol057

How many of you that are commanders do a job performance evaluation on your senior members that hold staff positions?  We're supposed to do them on cadets, but what about the seniors?

I have a senior member that I'm consistently having to contact about the monthly reports that he's supposed to do.  When he doesn't do them, I get an email (or call) from the group commander wanting to know why the reports weren't turned in on time.  This SM is an officer, and already hinting around that his TIG for promotion to Capt is coming up.  At this time, I'm really leaning towards telling him that I will not be promoting him because of this problem, but I want a way of documenting his slack job performance.

I know there used to be a version of a military OER on the NHQ website in the best practices, but can't find it now.  Any of you have something like this?

Dutchboy

Sir, Keep in mind, that the Group commander would be the approval authority for the Promotion to Captain, if I remember correctly, Majot is Wing, LtCol is Region?

Dutchboy

But I would make sure to tell the group commander your concerns.

bosshawk

You are asking about a form: there is one.  CAP Form 40, currently in use in the Organizational Effectiveness track.  Closest thing that I have seen to an OER form.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Nick

Quote from: messofficer on October 08, 2009, 06:20:37 AM
Sir, Keep in mind, that the Group commander would be the approval authority for the Promotion to Captain, if I remember correctly, Majot is Wing, LtCol is Region?

Keep in mind, that if the squadron commander doesn't sign the Form 2 in the first place, it won't even make it to the group commander for approval.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Nick

Quote from: bosshawk on October 08, 2009, 06:34:49 AM
You are asking about a form: there is one.  CAP Form 40, currently in use in the Organizational Effectiveness track.  Closest thing that I have seen to an OER form.

I didn't even know that came out -- that practically IS an OPR.  I'm impressed.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

LtCol057

Thanks for the responses.  The F 40 is the form I was looking for.  I had seen a different version of it several years ago. It wasn't a CAP Form then.  Now I need to start doing them for my senior members.

And messofficer, yes, I am aware of who the promoting authority is.  However, I also know that as the squadron commander, if I don't approve the promotion, it doesn't make it to the group commander for his approval.  As the group personnel officer, and a former Wing personnel officer, I am a stickler about promotion paperwork.

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 08, 2009, 06:07:09 AMThis SM is an officer, and already hinting around that his TIG for promotion to Capt is coming up.  At this time, I'm really leaning towards telling him that I will not be promoting him because of this problem, but I want a way of documenting his slack job performance.

Ignore the hints completely. Document in some manner that you've been receiving phone calls, and if there are emails concerning it, then print them out and hold onto them.

If the member demands the rank, let him know why he might be delayed. Document what needs to be done for improvement so there is a clear outline of what is expected. If the outlined criteria are not met, tell him there will be further delay.

I'd let the next levels up know what the issue is, especially those that are in the promoting authority chain. If they're aware of issues, they may hold off on passing up the promotions til after they check with you on it.

Quote from: messofficer on October 08, 2009, 06:20:37 AMSir, Keep in mind, that the Group commander would be the approval authority for the Promotion to Captain, if I remember correctly, Majot is Wing, LtCol is Region?

They're the approval authority, but those levels don't generate the paperwork for the promotion. A group or wing CC isn't going to initiate the form in the first place, that's the unit's job.

FW

I just love when members "tell" commanders they have the TIG for promotion and have met the requirements so..... "where's my promotion?".

I personally don't care about a member who just sticks around and fills in the blanks for promotion.  Completion of the PD componant for a grade level just makes us ELIGABLE for a promotion.  There are a few intangables giving a commander discretion on a promotion.  Job performance is one.

I would definetly reccomend a job performance eval every year (or more if necessary) to back up any possible IG issues.

Cecil DP

In an ideal world, the Commander, DC, or in a higher HQ, the CofS would be sitting down with each SM on a regular basis to discuss their job performance. If you decide to hold off on a promotion, you should be going over what's wrong and corrective measures that would have to be done before he/she would be considered for promotion. If you don't promote him and haven't told him what needs to be done to get promoted, it could lead to an IG complaint which he will win without the documentation.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

LtCol057

I've decided that effective today, I'll be sitting down with each senior member and going over their job performance.  I've been negligent in this, as this was one item I wanted to do when I took over as commander.  In January, I've been a senior member for 20 years, and in all the time I've been in, I've never had anyone sit down with me and go over my records or job performance. and I meant to correct that.

RiverAux

Sad to say that I never did that while a squadron commander.  However, the only person I probably would have had a problem promoting due to poor staff job performance had other issues that kept him from even becoming eligible, so it wasn't a factor. 

Fifinella

^^ wasn't a factor for poor performers.  But some SMs need a nudge, or just guidance, to continue to progress.  And some volunteers are motivated by the knowledge that someone is paying attention to what they are doing and how they are doing it.  Feedback might make the difference in retaining a good volunteer or having him/her slip away because they don't feel valued.  Lot more to the equation than just CYA.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Gunner C

Honestly, the only folks I had a performance problem with were the Lt Cols.  Everyone else (excepting one major who'd been in for 30 years and showed up to sell patches, etc to the cadets) did a pretty exceptional job. 

flyguy06

Interesting comments. I like this thread. i have a sort of related question.

First of all, if I didnt promote every non performing sm inmy unit Only two members would get promoted.

But with that said what if a sm doesnt care about getting promoted. We have many members in my unit that dont give a hill of beans about the next promotion. So how do you get them to perform better?

LtCol057

Flyguy, I'll be interested in any suggestions you get myself.  Heck, at this point, I'd be happy to just to get some of the senior members to show up for a meeting.

flyguy06

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 13, 2009, 12:03:25 PM
Flyguy, I'll be interested in any suggestions you get myself.  Heck, at this point, I'd be happy to just to get some of the senior members to show up for a meeting.

Are we in the same Squadron?  ;D

My issue is like he said. Out of 16 SM's on the roster we usually get 5 that show up regularly. Of that 5, three participate in activities outside of weekly meetings. 

Rank just doesnt mean anything to them. One SM told me "I am not concerned about my rank, I jjst want to help and make a difference" What do you say to that?

Our pevious commander for some reason gave a lot of folks the senior rating intheir perspective specialty tracks so they are putting on MAJ ( I actually went through the steps to earn mine) and that bothers me.

jimmydeanno

I think there is a huge difference between someone who doesn't care about promotions and a member that doesn't show up.

In my unit, there is a senior in his 70s.  He joined about three years ago and is still a 2d Lt.  He hasn't completed anything else past level 1, because he says, "I'm not going to be around much longer, so I'd rather just focus on getting the mission done."

He enjoys doing CAP stuff.  He's active and participates.  He just has no interest in sitting through a weekend of powerpoints and lectures.

On the other hand, members who aren't showing up, I find frequently don't have any reason to do so.  The squadron doesn't have a real program to show up to.  Seniors don't do training or any other kind of preplanned activities, end up just sitting around and shootin' the excrement.

It takes a bit more focus and such to keep adults engaged, because they actually see their time as valuable, and it isn't like the cadets where you can lump them all into the same thing - because they have different things to accomplish.

One unit I was in, the senior numbers were high on the roster and we only had 2-3 showing up.  I called a senior meeting w/ snacks and beverages, had most of them show up. (free donuts always seem to do the trick...go figure)  From there I was pretty blunt about the purpose of the meeting and said, "Most of you aren't coming regularly.  What can I do to fix that?" (I was new to the unit)

1) Some said they like coming but can only make time here and there.
2) Others said the unit didn't do anything.
3) Others said the unit neglected them, never assigned them a position - even after asking.
4) Some said the unit's leadership was unresponsive so they just "gave up."

We spent probably 4 hours hashing out our units senior program issues and resolved to make them better.

The result was a new core of motivated seniors who all had positions at the end and had ownership of those areas.  Yeah, some didn't really come back, but the 15-20 we had re-engage were worth it.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

After going thru the CERT TTT through the State EMA

jimmydeano hits it on the head. 

Some of the membership will leave due to poor leadership and CAP really HAS to get over the PowerPoint way of doing all.

If the Sqdn or the Wing for that fact.... has no real program or even cares about the volunteers...... why stick around.

Further, the rank and grade in CAP, may or may not appeal to everyone.  Certainly, it does not to me after my 22 in RM and pretty much the folks I run with, in and out of the RM, see CAP rank and grade as pretty hokey, anyhow.  Might make  a few people feeeeeeel good, but in reality...if the people are personable and knowledgeable in an organization and don't flaunt CAP rank and grade, AND can show a true interest in delivering the CAP mission to adult learners, then the Sqdn can be on to something...........

Yeah CAPTalkers can yip about self starters and all that....but go through a real education program and see what is taught.   The older the member, the more engagement is needed to either keep that person interested or active, or they will simply leave.

Can not CAP understand that SIMPLE premise of of a better program that just sitting through PowerPoint presentations.... you can get them anywhere..... Business and government would be nowhere without PowerPoint nowadays.

CAP simply HAS to change it ways after 68 years and Death by PowerPoint,online testing, etc,  like the CAP safety program, has swung the pendulum so far that it is really hard for CAP to even identify the simplest in ideas in how to keep the people it has and stop worrying on how they recruit.

Have a program that is interesting and not just a bunch of reg rehash every week and just MAYBE folks will stick around and talk up the CAP program.  Otherwise, here is one for CAP to learn, they will just go away without having anything positive about CAP.  Most of the SM's in my Sqdn have a love/hate about CAP which is pretty much culture in CAP and agree CAP needs some massive changes.

Fifinella

Yes, there are SM's who aren't motivated by rank.  Most *are* interested by a program with a lot going on. 

In my cadet squadron, I encouraged all seniors to progress as an example to the cadets.  Even the ones who didn't care about their rank could appreciate the value of being a role model for the cadets.  And the cadets *do* notice if their SM's are progressing, esp. when *all* accomplishments are recognized in front of the squadron.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Airrace

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 08, 2009, 06:07:09 AM
How many of you that are commanders do a job performance evaluation on your senior members that hold staff positions?  We're supposed to do them on cadets, but what about the seniors?

I have a senior member that I'm consistently having to contact about the monthly reports that he's supposed to do.  When he doesn't do them, I get an email (or call) from the group commander wanting to know why the reports weren't turned in on time.  This SM is an officer, and already hinting around that his TIG for promotion to Capt is coming up.  At this time, I'm really leaning towards telling him that I will not be promoting him because of this problem, but I want a way of documenting his slack job performance.

I know there used to be a version of a military OER on the NHQ website in the best practices, but can't find it now.  Any of you have something like this?

Try and take the time a week or so before the reports are due to remind him and then one to two days before the deadline make sure that he has done it. Give him three months to get it done on time and then start to look for someone else to do it. I also would remind him that no promotions will be granted if he can't get his tasks done in a timely manner.  I know it's hand holding and we should all be adults but remember this is an organization that doesn't pay it members. 

LtCol057

For the last 3 or 4 months, I've sent out an email about 10 days before reports are due reminding them.  I also verbally remind those that I see at the last meeting before reports are due. 

It's extremely hard to hold a senior meeting when only 1 shows up.  The previous commander quit with no notice saying the CAP is using computers too much and he's not computer literate.  He and all the other flying group got po'd when Wg took the aircraft.  He had been told for several months that we were going to lose the plane if they didn't put some time on it.  They would put maybe 2-3 hours a month on it.  I don't blame Wg for taking it back.  Every one of the pilots let their quals expire.  3 of them wouldn't drive 25 miles to get a Form 5 checkflight, but they'll drive 125 miles 2-3 times a month for a weekend at the beach.

When I took the job as commander, I didn't make any changes right off. I wanted to observe first.  I scheduled a staff meeting after I'd been commander 3 months.  I drove 60 miles for the meeting.  Not the first person showed up other than 2 members that weren't on staff. 
At this point, I'm about a hair away from requesting a change from a composite to a cadet squadron.

PHall

LtCol057, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but document everything.

So when you have your little sit down with your problem child you have stuff to back you up when they decide to complain to the group commander about you not promoting them.

You also need this stuff to write the OPR anyway. Unless you're into writing "fiction"...

LtCol057

That was something I learned in the army as well as in EMS. To CYA, as well as CYOA. 

flyguy06

Quote from: heliodoc on October 13, 2009, 01:47:04 PM
After going thru the CERT TTT through the State EMA

jimmydeano hits it on the head. 

Some of the membership will leave due to poor leadership and CAP really HAS to get over the PowerPoint way of doing all.

If the Sqdn or the Wing for that fact.... has no real program or even cares about the volunteers...... why stick around.

Further, the rank and grade in CAP, may or may not appeal to everyone.  Certainly, it does not to me after my 22 in RM and pretty much the folks I run with, in and out of the RM, see CAP rank and grade as pretty hokey, anyhow.  Might make  a few people feeeeeeel good, but in reality...if the people are personable and knowledgeable in an organization and don't flaunt CAP rank and grade, AND can show a true interest in delivering the CAP mission to adult learners, then the Sqdn can be on to something...........

Yeah CAPTalkers can yip about self starters and all that....but go through a real education program and see what is taught.   The older the member, the more engagement is needed to either keep that person interested or active, or they will simply leave.

Can not CAP understand that SIMPLE premise of of a better program that just sitting through PowerPoint presentations.... you can get them anywhere..... Business and government would be nowhere without PowerPoint nowadays.

CAP simply HAS to change it ways after 68 years and Death by PowerPoint,online testing, etc,  like the CAP safety program, has swung the pendulum so far that it is really hard for CAP to even identify the simplest in ideas in how to keep the people it has and stop worrying on how they recruit.

Have a program that is interesting and not just a bunch of reg rehash every week and just MAYBE folks will stick around and talk up the CAP program.  Otherwise, here is one for CAP to learn, they will just go away without having anything positive about CAP.  Most of the SM's in my Sqdn have a love/hate about CAP which is pretty much culture in CAP and agree CAP needs some massive changes.

I totally agree which is why I continue to preach that CAP needs something other than an online Level I program. CAP needs a hands on basic training program for new members (something similar to RSC)

SarDragon

We used to have one. I used to teach the classes in my group. They took it away. What can I say?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Why cant you keep doing it at your Squadron?

SarDragon

It isn't really productive to teach one or two people at a time. Part of the benefit of the olde course was the student interaction, as has been discussed regarding SLS and CLC. I used to teach 15-20 student classes.

In addition, our commander has pretty much taken control of Level I training.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

I'm not neccessarily saying level one should be changed.i am saying we need to revamp the whole indoc process. In the SDF ( a volunteer organization) new members from throughout the state gather at one central place for a weekend of "basic training" Of course not like the real military basic but darn close. The have formations, inspections. learn how to wear the uniform, learn military customs and curteousies )not just read about it on the internet, but are physically shown and demonstrated by instructors).

Just like cadet encampments have sm TAC Officers, we could have SM TAC's for new senior members for one lousy weekend. Whats wrong with that idea?

Gunner C

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 14, 2009, 11:52:47 AM
I'm not neccessarily saying level one should be changed.i am saying we need to revamp the whole indoc process. In the SDF ( a volunteer organization) new members from throughout the state gather at one central place for a weekend of "basic training" Of course not like the real military basic but darn close. The have formations, inspections. learn how to wear the uniform, learn military customs and curteousies )not just read about it on the internet, but are physically shown and demonstrated by instructors).

Just like cadet encampments have sm TAC Officers, we could have SM TAC's for new senior members for one lousy weekend. Whats wrong with that idea?

Nothing. That's about what the olde Level I classes were like, except just one day. Didn't you ever attend one?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2009, 05:36:25 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 14, 2009, 11:52:47 AM

Nothing. That's about what the olde Level I classes were like, except just one day. Didn't you ever attend one?

I am a former cadet. but I remeber Level one being a video or something like that.  I dont remember having formations  or anything like that

SarDragon

It's hard to pack how to do a formation in with the other stuff when there's only one day to teach the material. There was a video, divided into five lessons. Each segment had accompanying lecture material, to which I added some practical material, like saluting, and some discussion on uniform wear. The instructor team wore different uniforms, so the students could see what they were supposed to look like, beyond the marginal pictures in the 39-1.

Certainly not all Level I classes in my wing were that thorough, but my group figured that a little extra effort up front would cut down on problems later.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 15, 2009, 07:49:13 AM
It's hard to pack how to do a formation in with the other stuff when there's only one day to teach the material. There was a video, divided into five lessons. Each segment had accompanying lecture material, to which I added some practical material, like saluting, and some discussion on uniform wear. The instructor team wore different uniforms, so the students could see what they were supposed to look like, beyond the marginal pictures in the 39-1.

Certainly not all Level I classes in my wing were that thorough, but my group figured that a little extra effort up front would cut down on problems later.

Thats my point. Your program sounds like a good one. But it does no good if only one squadron does that and the rest of CAP is doing something totally differnt. We need standardization. We all need to be on the same sheet of music.

Camas

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 15, 2009, 05:34:24 AM
I am a former cadet. but I remeber Level one being a video or something like that.  I don't remember having formations  or anything like that
The formations, as you probably know, aren't really a part of the senior member initial training program - no secret here. And yes, the old course was pretty much a "death by powerpoint" course conducted over a 6 or 8 hour period depending on how much time was taken with questions and/or discussion. Many course directors and instructors take it upon themselves to ensure that participants can, at least, stand at attending, salute and report to senior officers. That's not really asking much of anyone. Perhaps a few basic moves such as facing movements certainly wouldn't hurt. Time can be well spent on going over proper uniformity as well.

flyguy06

They need to get the new snior mwmbers out of the clasrooms and onto the dril field. They should practice formations. I would hope that most squadrons (even senior squadrons) have opening formations and ward formations, so that is something practical you could use in CAP.

Definantly not only show how to wear the uniform, bu twhats  wrong with having"OMG"and actual uniform inspection (again, you could practice your formations in conjunction)?

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 15, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
They need to get the new snior mwmbers out of the clasrooms and onto the dril field. They should practice formations. I would hope that most squadrons (even senior squadrons) have opening formations and ward formations, so that is something practical you could use in CAP.

Definantly not only show how to wear the uniform, bu twhats  wrong with having"OMG"and actual uniform inspection (again, you could practice your formations in conjunction)?

Flyguy, I sure hope you drill better then you type. Do you even look at what you type before you hit the Post button?

If one of your enlisted guys turned out work like this the First Sergeant would be in his face Big Time!

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 16, 2009, 01:31:56 AM

You know how it is Dave, you kinda expect officers to have a passing knowledge of writing in English.
Bachelors Degree and all that.

flyguy06

Quote from: PHall on October 15, 2009, 08:29:36 PM

Flyguy, I sure hope you drill better then you type. Do you even look at what you type before you hit the Post button?

If one of your enlisted guys turned out work like this the First Sergeant would be in his face Big Time!

PHall,

When I am typing a formal report, obviously Itreat it differently than when I am having fun on a social message board. Its interesting how people critisize peoples speling yet when people text me I get messages like this "pls cll tomrow and lets gt some pizza" I know what they are saying without them having to spell it out. Whats the difference?

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 16, 2009, 03:38:25 AM

PHall,

When I am typing a formal report, obviously Itreat it differently than when I am having fun on a social message board. Its interesting how people critisize peoples speling yet when people text me I get messages like this "pls cll tomrow and lets gt some pizza" I know what they are saying without them having to spell it out. Whats the difference?

This isn't Twitter. There is no 140 character limit. And since you are an Officer in the United States Army, I know you know how to spell.

SarDragon

PHall,

I recommend that you read (or reread, as the case may be) the last two sentences in the next-to-last paragraph of my post on this thread: Proffesionalisim on captalk . The part about examples. If we are writing poorly, the cadets are going to think it's equally OK for them to write the same way. It seems counterproductive to maintain two distinctly different writing styles, one for here and one for school,  unnecessarily.

Again, YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: PHall on October 16, 2009, 04:47:53 AM

PHall,

This isn't Twitter. There is no 140 character limit. And since you are an Officer in the United States Army, I know you know how to spell.

I'm a grunt officer  ;D

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on October 16, 2009, 05:42:53 AM

PHall,

I recommend that you read (or reread, as the case may be) the last two sentences in the next-to-last paragraph of my post on this thread: Proffesionalisim on captalk . The part about examples. If we are writing poorly, the cadets are going to think it's equally OK for them to write the same way. It seems counterproductive to maintain two distinctly different writing styles, one for here and one for school,  unnecessarily.

Again, YMMV.

What does YMMV mean? Was that correct english?

SarDragon

As has been explained before, it means Your Mileage May Vary.

Quote from: Online Urban DictionaryLiterally, "Your Mileage May Vary," coming from the small print in (American?) automobile commercials in the 70's and 80's. It has come to mean an acknowledgement that the opinion of the poster may not be shared by everyone.

A search for YMMV on Yahoo! yields 3.750,000 hits, the first of which is quoted, in part, above.

Now, instead of engaging in schoolboy playground tactics, how about addressing the real issue here.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Michael M

The forms you probably saw are now located here:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/best_practices_pd.cfm                   

They are located under CAP UNIVERSITY > Best Practices: PD.  The OER/NCOER forms are from a wing and not CAP/HQ.

lordmonar

Too busy doing work to waste time standing in formation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Short Field

I would rather spend the time training them in ES functions.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Short Field on November 11, 2009, 06:50:26 AM
I would rather spend the time training them in ES functions.

Agreed, but I would also prefer their uniforms look decent if they decide to wear the AF Uniform.

They don't need a class on uniforms weekly or even monthly. An introductory class for new members, and on the spot fixes, with the expectation of corrections (what we demand of the cadets) should be enough.