Main Menu

Level V

Started by RiverAux, April 24, 2008, 12:17:30 AM

Duke Dillio

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2008, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: FW on April 24, 2008, 01:03:23 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 24, 2008, 03:21:35 AM
I would leave it in for this reason:  senior, most trained officers should be the ones to mentor the nubes.  If we don't do it, then who will?  The drill here is obviously not to show that you can give a class, or for that matter conduct a course (that's covered elsewhere). Give something back. If anything, I'd require an officer to complete 2 or 3 of them.

Maybe we should change the requirement to serve as a mentor for 6 months (to include giving level 1 courses).?

Sure...but maybe add that as a requirement for Level III instead of Level V.....It is kind of a skills miss match.

I'd go with Level III as well.  I really don't understand the requirement for two wing/region/national conferences.  I would think that that would be better suited for Level IV but then again I am just a simple peon.

davedove

Quote from: sargrunt on April 24, 2008, 04:30:17 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2008, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: FW on April 24, 2008, 01:03:23 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 24, 2008, 03:21:35 AM
I would leave it in for this reason:  senior, most trained officers should be the ones to mentor the nubes.  If we don't do it, then who will?  The drill here is obviously not to show that you can give a class, or for that matter conduct a course (that's covered elsewhere). Give something back. If anything, I'd require an officer to complete 2 or 3 of them.

Maybe we should change the requirement to serve as a mentor for 6 months (to include giving level 1 courses).?

Sure...but maybe add that as a requirement for Level III instead of Level V.....It is kind of a skills miss match.

I'd go with Level III as well.  I really don't understand the requirement for two wing/region/national conferences.  I would think that that would be better suited for Level IV but then again I am just a simple peon.

At Level III you are supposed to be learning how the Wing does things.  Since I would bet that most members satisfy the conference requirement with Wing conferences, that would be where you have the opportunity to network with others of your Wing.

The new Level I is probably better suited to about Level III.  I'm sure that the original thought was to have someone direct a Level I course who had already gone through most of the PD program.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

lordmonar

Dave....I understand why the original intent was...but I am talking right now....we currently have commanders and PDO's doing level I training no matter what their PD Level.  Bringing in a Level IV to conduct the Level I course is like bringing in a Math PhD to teach High School Algabra. 

A Skills Mismatch.

But at the Level II-III range you are still new enough to relate to the new guys but have been around the block enough to know how things work. 

Sargrunt.

I agree with you on that one.  It is the one thing holding me up from Level III.  The last Wing Conference was nice....but I did not really learn anything....I did meet some of the people from other part of the state....that was about the most gratifying/educational part of the whole thing.

I also have a question about the "attendance" standard.  If the conference is say a week long do you have to be there all 7 days or just one day...or just one hour?  "Attend two conferences" is a bit vague.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2008, 03:55:41 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 24, 2008, 03:27:15 PM
Now that Level I has shifted from a classroom environment to a mostly home self-study,

I'm going to take exception to that statement, again.  Its not supposed to be.

The online portion is prep for the real discussions with the commander or his designate.  The new level one is more effective because members come in with some general ideas and real questions.

I don't think you're saying this, but I hear all to often how L1 is "online now", and I personally know of commanders who do it that way.

I agree, and that's not what I meant.  In other words, you don't necessarily have a typical classroom instruction anymore.  It's not a handful of new SM's sitting in a classroom while somebody goes over the powerpoint slides.  New members now view the powerpoint slides on their own (what I meant by mostly home-based self-study), print and answer the quizzes on their own, and then bring in their quizzes for review and participate in discussionin more of a one-on-one fashion with somebody at the unit.

So, it is still a fair amount of self-study if the member is doing it correctly, with their mentor simply providing guidance, answers to questions, review of what they missed/got wrong, and the summary discussion.  OPSEC is completely on their own, and CPPT is also a half-and-half (again, with materials and quizzes designed for self/home study to bring in to the unit).

Either way, a lot of the classroom stuff has been done away with and the format has completely changed.  It's no longer "sit in a classroom for 4 hours, hear me read a powerpoint to you, watch these videos and take these quizzes" to complete Level I.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Short Field

Hey - don't change anything until I get done!    :o

I am closely tracking our next potential member so I can do the Commander's Conversations with them.  I hope they come out of the discussion motivated and with a clear idea on what they need to do to have fun, advance, and be a productive member of CAP.     And not be one of the new members who fail to renew after a year or so because we fail to push help them along.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

FW

I'm certainly no educator.  However, I do agree that the most senior/experienced members (level 4-5) should be the ones we go to for advice and help. To tell you the truth, I haven't looked at a level 1 since... oh, the CRS just kicked in ;)

However, I do know some things about CAP and I know there are many more out there willing to give something back; as well as progress thru the PD program.

Maybe we can add a requirement to contribute to CAPTALK?  :angel: ;D

flyerthom

Quote from: FW on April 24, 2008, 11:09:52 PM
I'm certainly no educator.  However, I do agree that the most senior/experienced members (level 4-5) should be the ones we go to for advice and help. To tell you the truth, I haven't looked at a level 1 since... oh, the CRS just kicked in ;)

However, I do know some things about CAP and I know there are many more out there willing to give something back; as well as progress thru the PD program.

New requirement for Level V - 1000 posts on captalk!
TC

lordmonar

Quote from: flyerthom on April 24, 2008, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: FW on April 24, 2008, 11:09:52 PM

New requirement for Level V - 1000 posts on captalk!

Well you got about 600 more to go....so lets see those posts!

Look Ma....I'm mentoring!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

QuoteI don't think you're saying this, but I hear all to often how L1 is "online now", and I personally know of commanders who do it that way.

Not all of Level I is online.  If you have commanders that are using the online method then you have members not getting all the information.

From www.cap.gov/one

Notes for Commanders

There is no pass or fail in this course. However, you are responsible for reviewing your new members' efforts, make any corrections and provide your new members with the guidance needed to succeed.

Use the "Summary Conversation" guide to help you to accomplish this task. The correct answers to the quizzes are noted in this guide. You can download the latest "Summary Conversation" Guide through e-Services. Look in your "Commander's Corner" link. Since this guide contains the quiz answers, please treat the guide in accordance with CAPR 50-4 rules.

This "Summary Conversation" guide will help you know that your new member has put the topics they read into proper perspective. In the process, your new member has an opportunity to ask questions in an informal, no-pressure setting. The training ends with a casual discussion between you and your new member.

Emphasis by myself.

arajca

When I've done the summary conversations, it usually takes one to two hours, not including CPPT. Although I have had one cover two meetings due to member questions and my feeling comfortable they understand the material. I have no problem (and have commander support) to spend as long as it takes. Letting the member know this at the beginning is helpful since it shows that you really care about them getting off to a good start.

On my Level V, I just need to direct a SLS/CLC/etc and complete NSC (or equivalent).

CadetProgramGuy

All I need for My level 4:

RSC or SOS
Master Rating.

Edited and punished myself

arajca

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 25, 2008, 04:44:04 AM
All I need for My level 4:

NSC or SOS
Master Rating.
Actually, RSC is for Level IV. NSC is for Level V.

CadetProgramGuy

You're right, thought RSC, said NSC.....

Did that is EMT Class tonight.  CPR Station, Unresponsive, no pulse, no breathing, I said GCS of 15.....

Gunner C

I can tell you that Level 5 is worth it.  I didn't complete my Spaatz and always regretted it.  Getting my GRW (age 50) really made up for it.  AAMOF, at the awards ceremony, the person who preceded me was getting his Spaatz.  The same Maj Gen (NG type - State AG) awarded it to me.  I got a standing O from the wing conference.  It was one of those moments that you never forget.  It was nice being recognized at the same level as the award that had slipped through my fingers 32 years earlier.

GC

Cecil DP

Quote from: Gunner C on April 25, 2008, 08:50:28 AM
I can tell you that Level 5 is worth it.  I didn't complete my Spaatz and always regretted it.  Getting my GRW (age 50) really made up for it.  AAMOF, at the awards ceremony, the person who preceded me was getting his Spaatz.  The same Maj Gen (NG type - State AG) awarded it to me.  I got a standing O from the wing conference.  It was one of those moments that you never forget.  It was nice being recognized at the same level as the award that had slipped through my fingers 32 years earlier.

GC

I got mine in 1985, and as you said it was a great feeling to reeive the award. Mine was presented by the NAT/CC BG Cass during the MAWG Conference at theage of 36. l
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ColonelJack

The only problem I had with getting my Level V as quickly as I did (less than a dozen years from joining) was ... where do I go from here?  I received my GRW in 1993 -- and all I had was my Wing King at the time to present it to me.  No applause, no nothing.  (Sheesh.)  'S okay, though ... I knew it was a major achievement.  I did get a "form" letter from Brig. Gen. Anderson congratulating me on making it, and a handwritten note offering me his personal congratulations, which I thought was pretty neat.

But the question nagged me ... once you hit the Gill Robb Wilson award, what's next?  There should always be one more mountain to climb.  (Not for bling, of course, but to stay active and involved and all that.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

dwb

Serve on the staff, and maybe rise to the director position, for a Region Staff College or the National Staff College.  That would be a logical next step for a Wilson recipient looking to do more work in CAP PD.

There's always SOS, ACSC, and AWC if you don't have those already.

As for myself, I should have a Garber before too long.  Just have to wait for my SOS diploma to arrive in the mail, then submit the CAPF 24.

Pylon

Quote from: dwb on April 25, 2008, 12:28:56 PM
As for myself, I should have a Garber before too long.  Just have to wait for my SOS diploma to arrive in the mail, then submit the CAPF 24.

:clap:
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Duke Dillio

How was SOS?  I just completed Level III.  I was thinking about doing SOS in place of RSC.

dwb

I thought it was great.

My biggest caveat is that it takes a lot of time.  I got it done in five months, which is pretty quick.  However, there were times when I would work on it 7 days a week.  Some days, I would do a unit at lunch, then another unit in the evening.  On weekends, I'd do a unit or two while my son napped, then another in the evening.

So many people ask about SOS on here and otherwise, I actually started writing an SOS primer for CAP senior members.  I haven't gotten very far yet, but before I started typing, I scribbled this outline on a scrap of paper:

Introduction
SOS Overview
Benefits/Drawbacks
- This section will answer the question "Is SOS right for me?"
Enrollment Info
Studying/Testing Tips
Conclusion

I need to flesh that out a little more before I get typing too much.