New Senior Member-----HELP!!!

Started by PWK-GT, June 15, 2005, 05:53:46 AM

PWK-GT

I suspect I am not the only one lurking out there with a lot of motivation, but no real week-to-week support. Here's my scenario: I attended weekly meetings of the local Comp Sqdn (it seems that's all there is in the Land of Lincoln ::)) for 6 weeks before joining. It was enough to make me think I have some talents to bring to the unit.......and could develop some skills in areas that I was intrigued by. Now, after being a SM for 2 months, I find it difficult to even get started. My CO wants me to become Safety Officer--no problem ;), and understandable in light of the increased attention to the topic. I have yet to get any assistance in the Spec Track arena. It was like pulling teeth to get my Level I / CPPT completed (and now my CO is having a problem using e-services to record their completion). Few SM's even show up on a REGULAR basis--again, no guidance there. I am fine with Safety Officer, and also have been acting (on my own) as PAO and Recruiting officer--my thought being if we can get more SM's to join, maybe we can start getting serious about SM Prof Dev. I have been given no guidance as to track enrollment, curiculum, AFAIDL courses, or anything that'll give me somewhere to point my focus. I read 2-3 hours a night online, and have found more 'guidance' in some of these chat forums.I unfortunately have no other options for units due to distance and work hours. I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some self-directed learning resources?? I enjoy a good challenge, but our SM's seem more interested in a coffee-klatch when the Cadets are doing their own things. I WANT TO LEARN!!!!!!!!!! Cripes, at this rate--FORGET about ES (which is what I really wanted to try on for size. Or should I put my time in till 2LT and see what the Senior personell situation is first?
Let me also say, the SM's are good people, but I fear all of the attention is going to the Cadets.....as we only have 5 REGULAR SM's attend.

In a nutshell, assuming the SM staffing situation remains unchanged, what do I need to on my own to start progressing in my chosen / assigned tracks? I have a ton of enthusiasm (even still) but no direction from the local brass. And unfortunately for them, I'm in this for the longhaul. :P
"Is it Friday yet"

arajca

Once your Level I/CPPT appears on e-Services, you can sign up for the Air Force Institute for Advanced Distance Learning (AFIADL) courses. These are correspondence courses that you study at home and test a supervised test at your unit. The two courses you need to take are AFIADL 13 - CAP Senior Officer Course and AFIADL 02017 CAP Safety Officer Course. The AFIADL 13 is required to complete Level II.

Your commander can fax the CPPT/Level I completion to National if eServices won't accept it.

For more complete information, refer to the CAP 200 series pamphlet for Safety Officers. It details what is needed to progress in that specailty track. This is available online.

I recommend contacting your group or wing Safety Officer. The should be able to help guide you and familiarize you with the local and wing safety sop's.

MurDog

I am not exactly a new member, I've been in since 96. I just turned senior member, I had my Eaker so I am a 1lt. I guess what I am looking so is what bring new senior members to join? The cadet program can hold it self in my composite squadron. The cadet commander is doing and out standing job, but we really need more seniors to support them and to make a senior program.

What brings in new Senior members to the program in your areas? How should I aim recruiting to be senior specific?

Thanks!
AJ Murray Jr., 1st Lt CAP
Emergency Services Officer
NER-VT-005

Deputy Commander
2005 VTWG Encampment

ladyreferee

I've been a member for about 6 months although I have attended meetings for a year.  We are a very small composite squadron - so small that absolutely nothing was happening whether for the cadets or the seniors - I'm going to address the self learning.  Start reading everything - not just for safety - but everything!  Get to e-services and start reading all the publications. Cadet programs, senior specialty tracks, aerospace education, organization of unit, get the Aerospace-Journey of Flight book or read it on e-services,
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Major_Chuck

GTOJim:

First, complete all the Level One requirements.  They are rather basic and a hoop you have to jump through first.

Second:  (This you don't have to wait to do).  Make contact with your group and wing safety officers.  Introduce yourself and ask them their thoughts, ideas, plans.  Tell them what you are looking to do.

Enroll in AFIADL Course 1900 (I think that is the number).  Your Wing ETA (Professional Development) staff can do that for you.  Check what their procedures are.

If you are interested in some additional information just email me.  I'll be glad to point or help you out. 

-Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: GTOJim on June 15, 2005, 05:53:46 AM
I suspect I am not the only one lurking out there with a lot of motivation, but no real week-to-week support. Here's my scenario: I attended weekly meetings of the local Comp Sqdn (it seems that's all there is in the Land of Lincoln ::)) for 6 weeks before joining. It was enough to make me think I have some talents to bring to the unit.......and could develop some skills in areas that I was intrigued by. Now, after being a SM for 2 months, I find it difficult to even get started. My CO wants me to become Safety Officer--no problem ;), and understandable in light of the increased attention to the topic. I have yet to get any assistance in the Spec Track arena. It was like pulling teeth to get my Level I / CPPT completed (and now my CO is having a problem using e-services to record their completion). Few SM's even show up on a REGULAR basis--again, no guidance there. I am fine with Safety Officer, and also have been acting (on my own) as PAO and Recruiting officer--my thought being if we can get more SM's to join, maybe we can start getting serious about SM Prof Dev. I have been given no guidance as to track enrollment, curiculum, AFAIDL courses, or anything that'll give me somewhere to point my focus. I read 2-3 hours a night online, and have found more 'guidance' in some of these chat forums.I unfortunately have no other options for units due to distance and work hours. I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some self-directed learning resources?? I enjoy a good challenge, but our SM's seem more interested in a coffee-klatch when the Cadets are doing their own things. I WANT TO LEARN!!!!!!!!!! Cripes, at this rate--FORGET about ES (which is what I really wanted to try on for size. Or should I put my time in till 2LT and see what the Senior personell situation is first?
Let me also say, the SM's are good people, but I fear all of the attention is going to the Cadets.....as we only have 5 REGULAR SM's attend.

In a nutshell, assuming the SM staffing situation remains unchanged, what do I need to on my own to start progressing in my chosen / assigned tracks? I have a ton of enthusiasm (even still) but no direction from the local brass. And unfortunately for them, I'm in this for the longhaul. :P

Jim,

Welcome to CAPTalk.  I think you'll find yourself a good deal of experienced and knowledgable CAP members here who are willing to give you as much advice as possible.

Let me say that you situation is unfortunately not unique, though very deplorable.  Senior Member professional development is lacking in many areas around the U.S.   It takes a back-seat (along with things like AE) to Cadet Programs and Operations.

It sounds like, from your post that you have your Level I and CPPT completed.  As was suggested above, either you or your unit commander can send in by Fax to National HQ the completed forms that show you passed CPPT and completed your Level I training.  By faxing it in, they should record Level I and CPPT on your record within 24 hours.

After you've gotten that out of the way, and have put in your six months of membership total, you'll be eligible for promotion to 2d Lt.  (Fill out the Form 2, have your unit commander sign it, and fax that in to NHQ also.  The promotion will usually be posted within 1 day).   Then, all you need to do is serve 18 months as a 2d Lt, and earn your specialty rating in anything (Safety, perhaps?), to earn 1st Lt.

Does your Group HQ (the next echelon up) have a Professional Development officer?   If not, your Wing HQ certainly must.  You could contact your Wing PDO and ask your questions about upcoming seminars, like SLS, or ask about paperwork submitted, etc.  Your Wing PDO can certainly give you good guidance.

I applaud your efforts to recruit more Senior Members.  That always helps out.  The more hands there are to do things, the less burden it is on everyone.  I don't know if you'll be able to specifically recruit someone to be your unit PDO, however, as it's something that is often best suited to someone very familiar with CAP and the Senior programs.  That's not to say a new member can't handle it, however it is a much more daunting task especially without any local PDOs already in place to help train them.

As far as your Specialty Tracks go, you're not required to do only one track at once.  Feel free to pursue Safety and something else you are interested in, such as PDO, or Cadet Programs, or PAO, or Recruiting and Retention, etc.

CAP is largely self-study if you plan to advance yourself rapidly.  It is the same way with the Cadet Program - it is based upon self-motivation and study to promote and advance.    You need to find out what you need for your next promotion, or what requirements there are for your next specialty track rating, or what you need to do to earn that ES rating, or to earn the Yeager award, etc.  Then, you work on checking off those requirements personally, and when you've completed them you bring your completed checklist with proof to your unit commander who signs it off and sends it in.   This is how I've done it and I've found it to be very effective.

However, self-study doesn't mean you're alone!  ;)  We're here to help you.  If you have questions on what you need to do for something, or what something means, or how to run a certain thing, just ask here!  There are always people here willing to answer your question and give you advice and guidance!

So with that, good luck!  Keep up informed on your progress, and let us know what you need to know to keep advancing yourself and improving your unit!  Best wishes!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: GTOJim on June 15, 2005, 05:53:46 AM[redacted] It was like pulling teeth to get my Level I / CPPT completed (and now my CO is having a problem using e-services to record their completion).  [further redacted]
Level I can only be documented by National. It's not an eServices function. They need the Form 11 with original signatures. They are really picky about that due to the liability considerations of the CPPT part.

BTW, Level I = Orientation Course + CPPT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BlueLakes1

Level I can only be documented by National. It's not an eServices function. They need the Form 11 with original signatures. They are really picky about that due to the liability considerations of the CPPT part.

I teach the Level One/CPPT classes for my squadron and I submit the paperwork via email. If you go to Forms - Word on the member services, there is a link to the proper email address to send them to, along with the form in .doc format to fill out and email as an attachment. This is an acceptable method under the paper reduction initiative. I've sent in at least 5 or 6, and had no problems whatsoever and they usually post the same day.

Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Pace

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on June 15, 2005, 08:47:53 PM

I teach the Level One/CPPT classes for my squadron and I submit the paperwork via email. If you go to Forms - Word on the member services, there is a link to the proper email address to send them to, along with the form in .doc format to fill out and email as an attachment. This is an acceptable method under the paper reduction initiative. I've sent in at least 5 or 6, and had no problems whatsoever and they usually post the same day.

This is probably a stupid question, but can anyone send in these forms or does it have to be the unit commander that sends the files as an attachment.  I'm asking because I'm getting ready to send in a few forms, and I'd like to do it electronically to save time.

Thanks,
Daniel
Lt Col, CAP

BlueLakes1

Which forms Daniel? I've sent in Form 11s for the Level 1/CPPT, Form 2s for 2nd and 1st Lt. promotions, and Form 24s for Professional Development awards. I'm not the Commander, I'm Operations and Personnel. If you send in a CAPF2 for promotion, the approving authority's name, grade and position need to be in the body of the email. If you'd like, I'll email you the basic letter you use for reference.

I do keep a signed original of the form in the member's personnel file, and I document that in the comments section on the form before I send it. I've not had any trouble at all with emailing forms to NHQ, but those are all I've sent.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Pace

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on June 15, 2005, 09:09:01 PM
Which forms Daniel? I've sent in Form 11s for the Level 1/CPPT, Form 2s for 2nd and 1st Lt. promotions, and Form 24s for Professional Development awards. I'm not the Commander, I'm Operations and Personnel. If you send in a CAPF2 for promotion, the approving authority's name, grade and position need to be in the body of the email. If you'd like, I'll email you the basic letter you use for reference.

I do keep a signed original of the form in the member's personnel file, and I document that in the comments section on the form before I send it. I've not had any trouble at all with emailing forms to NHQ, but those are all I've sent.

You hit the nail on the head.  Those are the three forms I was thinking about.  If you would send that letter to me, I would certainly appreciate it.  DCPacemaker@aol.com  Thank you very much for your advice.  This will speed up the process for the senior members in my squadron who have been due for a promotion for a very long time.

The main thing that's holding me up, though, is the Professional Development Report.  I need to update that report to show completion of specialty tracks, but I haven't seen one from NHQ since the beginning of the year.  Off hand, do you know what months and what time of those months the PDR is sent to squadrons?

Thanks,
Daniel
Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

Re: emailing a Level I Form 11 - I sent one in that way right after that directive came out, and got it sent back because there were no signatures, so I just snail mail them now. Apparently they aren't as picky now. I'll try it after I teach my next Level I.

Re: the PDR - do a CAPWATCH download and generate your own. Mark it up in red, get the commander to sign it, and send it to the address on the top.

Note again - Level I/CPPT is redundant. Level I = Orientation Course + CPPT. Sez so right in the 50-17.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pace

Quote from: SarDragon on June 15, 2005, 09:59:35 PM
Re: emailing a Level I Form 11 - I sent one in that way right after that directive came out, and got it sent back because there were no signatures, so I just snail mail them now. Apparently they aren't as picky now. I'll try it after I teach my next Level I.

Re: the PDR - do a CAPWATCH download and generate your own. Mark it up in red, get the commander to sign it, and send it to the address on the top.

Note again - Level I/CPPT is redundant. Level I = Orientation Course + CPPT. Sez so right in the 50-17.

Thanks for the insight.  Unfortunately, cadet e-services accounts do not have CAPWATCH privileges.  I guess I'll have to wait for my SM app and background check to clear before I can act on that.
Lt Col, CAP

arajca

Your unit's or commander WSA can grant you the privileges. Even seniors need that approval.

abysmal

Quote from: GTOJim on June 15, 2005, 05:53:46 AM

BOY does that situation sound All Too FAMILIAR!!

First, welcome to the best little gathering of CAPers I have yet to find.
You are WAY ahead of the power curve just because you landed in the right spot where there are PLENTY of people that are more than a little willing to share of both their knowlege and resources!!

As you can see from the responces already, there are plenty of options for you to follow, so long as your a self starter, and it appears you are.

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on June 15, 2005, 10:24:33 PM
Your unit's or commander WSA can grant you the privileges. Even seniors need that approval.
Senior members get basic CAPWATCH read only privileges automatically, including the ability to look at any member's data, and download the database for the unit, without any action from the unit commander. I had forgotten that cadets do not get that same privilege on the same basis.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PWK-GT

Thanks to all for the great replies! After this evening's unit meeting I completed the Level 1 forms and they will be faxed in to NHQ tomorrow. The unfortunate by-product of few SM's around here, is that my CO (we have no PDO) is not really up to speed on what to do.......and how.......very quickly. I get a lot of " I'm gonna have to check on that, and get back to you by next week's meeting" kind of answers. But, I did find some testing in e-services....and have completed the General ES part 1 & 2 since my original posting yesterday! It is nice to have a little satisfaction in a timely manner...for once!
How can I get a roster of who my Group or Wing PDO's are? I would love to use this as a crutch........It seems that I have to skip an echelon of command if I don't want to whither on the vine.

On a 'find the silver lining' note, I guess I stand to be a very big fish in a small pond after I find out how to do everything myself! :)
As to the Level1 / CPPT wording snafu.........chalk that up to late night postings-- I do know the Level 1 included CPPT + Orientation. Where can I find criteria for the Yeager Award? It seems a lot of people have recommended it.
Hit me with advice directly at griggs5113@juno.com
Thanks to all!
- Jim
"Is it Friday yet"

arajca

For the Yeager, you have to complete the Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members. It consists of a 100 question, open book test that may be taken at the unit or online. The book is Aerospace The Journey which cadet officers use and can be downloaded from eServices.

Bluelakes 13

Hi Jim,

I'd be happy to help you.  I'll send you an email also.

The IL Wing staff roster is at http://www.ilcap.org/wingstaff.htm

BlueLakes1

Daniel,

I emailed you the info you asked for, but it shows deleted. If you need it again, let me know.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC