New Crop of Majors Coming?

Started by EMT-83, January 30, 2013, 04:08:26 AM

SARDOC

I recently made my Captain but I've already completed Level IV so I'm just waiting for TIG for Lieutenant Colonel.  The OBC program has definitely opened up the bottle neck that previously existed under the ECI 13 program.

As far as incompetent officers, they exist in every organization, CAP is no exception.  As most know the Rank Process had nothing to do with promoting competent people it's just a mere measure of your participation in the CAP Professional Development Program.  Rank doesn't have Authority although when it comes to Customs and Courtesies we treat those with a Senior Grade as though they did have that authority.

I'd be completing my level V this year if the National Staff College didn't have the Arbitrary requirement of being a Major or CMSgt to attend.

I would also like to see changes to the Colonel Promotion Policy.  If you are Lieutenant Colonel and have position of significant authority in our organization other than Wing Commander such as region or National Staff with a significant contribution to Civil Air Patrol or with 30 Plus years of service...a Special Appointment should be entertained for appropriate recognition.

We as a volunteer organization don't pay our people so the only way to recognize the contributions of our members is through promotions and awards, but it doesn't seem like we do a good job of recognizing our members.

Private Investigator

Goals is one thing. But the 1st Lt who wants to go to RSC since he finished CLC last month and SLS six months ago but still has no clue on what he suppose to do as the Unit Communications Officer.

GOBN is partly to blame. You have somebody who attends meetings every week, brings donuts and helps out. So as a GOB you promote them.

Duty performance should be #1, then if they got TIG and PD they promote. But lots of people see a checklist and they just want to "X" the box and move on. Just because they "X" the boxes, does not make them qualified.

Private Investigator

Quote from: SARDOC on February 03, 2013, 06:16:38 PM

As far as incompetent officers, they exist in every organization, CAP is no exception. 

Lets not get started on little league or the boy scouts. But for a safety brief I do have to mention, four scoutmasters dead and two others injured putting up a tent? ORM lesson. In L.L. three years in a row on opening day we had a serious injury requiring paramedics. When I was on the board and safety was #1 we had zero incidents. My first year off the board back to opening day paramedic response.

But in CAP a senior member, who has rank, should be able to mentor a new member to get to the spot they are at. Now if you want to hang out with pilots just be a SMWOG. I think that is where the USCG Aux is one up on us. In CAP the majority, not everyone, wants rank bling bling, JMHO ... 

Майор Хаткевич

I plan on making Major and yes LtCol one day if I stick with the program. Don't really care much in terms of "I'm top dog" or similar, but it is the program. Part of it is probably having been a cadet, but the other part is the fact that the courses leading to that are beneficial, so why not?

FARRIER

My understanding, in the USAF Reserves, on the flight crew side, navigators can be slotted up to LTC? You can be promoted to MAJ before even being made a Flight Commander. This is apples and oranges in regards to requirements between CAP and the USAF, but there is a weak correlation between the two. This can fit with the other thread too.  :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

PHall

Quote from: FARRIER on February 03, 2013, 11:13:54 PM
My understanding, in the USAF Reserves, on the flight crew side, navigators can be slotted up to LTC? You can be promoted to MAJ before even being made a Flight Commander. This is apples and oranges in regards to requirements between CAP and the USAF, but there is a weak correlation between the two. This can fit with the other thread too.  :)

Navigators are in the same boat as pilots.  If you just want to fly, you'll top out at Major.
If you take one of the leadership positions, you can make Lt Col, if that position is a Lt Col position. Flight Commanders are usually Majors.
The Lt Col positions in most flying squadrons are Squadron Commander, Operations Officer, Chief of Stan-Eval, Chief Pilot and Chief Navigator.

Maj Alfred

I get my Golden Oaks November 18, 2014... or atleast I will have the TIG for it :D they get faded in 2018
Ronnel Alfred, Capt, C.A.P.
Wright Brothers      4849           30 Sep 2005
Billy Mitchell           55282         20 Nov 2006
Amelia Earhart       13826          20 Apr 2007

Eeyore

Quote from: SARDOC on February 03, 2013, 06:16:38 PM
I'd be completing my level V this year if the National Staff College didn't have the Arbitrary requirement of being a Major or CMSgt to attend.

I'm in the same boat, a Capt with Level IV, just waiting for my TIG for LtCol. IMHO, the requirement of being a Major should be waiverable. If you have a Capt that has completed Level IV, they are obviously competent enough to play with the Majors at NSC.