New Crop of Majors Coming?

Started by EMT-83, January 30, 2013, 04:08:26 AM

cap235629

I will pin on Major in June. Looking forward to it for some strange reason....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cap235629 on February 02, 2013, 05:26:44 AM
I will pin on Major in June. Looking forward to it for some strange reason....

It's an accomplishment, and one that probably only 1/3 or 1/4 of all SMs get to. If not less.

cap235629

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I want to become a Lt Col just for the honor of being called "Colonel". Service should mean more than GREAT fried chicken......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

OK, let's see if I can piece this together. Everything before 1987, except the C/WO, is a SWAG.

C/WO - 1968
WO - 1970
2nd Lt - 1971
1sLt - 1972
Inactive period - 1973-1977, record went into the black hole
2nd Lt - 1977
1st Lt - 1978
Lapsed membership - 1981-1987
2nd Lt - Apr 1987
1st Lt - Nov 1988
Capt - May 1989
Inactive period - 1989-1999
Major - Oct 2003
Lt Col - likely never
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

I should have TIG for Major by Oct 2014. Currently in CLC online with WYWG and I already have my Senior rating in Comms and one of two conferences under my belt.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

wuzafuzz

Got my oak leaves back in October. Haven't worn them yet, but I have them.  ;)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JeffDG

Quote from: cap235629 on February 02, 2013, 05:39:06 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I want to become a Lt Col just for the honor of being called "Colonel". Service should mean more than GREAT fried chicken......
See, for me, since I got Capt last month, it's so I get the funny looks at how I pronounce "leftenant" when I introduce myself.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on February 02, 2013, 01:56:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
See, for me, since I got Capt last month, it's so I get the funny looks at how I pronounce "leftenant" when I introduce myself.

I use the pronunciation sometimes too, even though I'm a Captain-in-Perpetuity :-X...too much CBC and too many viewings of The Battle of Britain. ;D

Since I speak German, I sometimes use "Herr Leutnant" or "Herr Oberleutnant." :P

If we used the RAF/Commonwealth ranking system, you and I could call ourselves "Flight Lieutenant" and still use the "lef-tenant." 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AlphaSigOU

Jawohl, Herr Hauptmann! (Oder Herr Rittmeister...)  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

caphornbuckle

For anyone going for Lieutenant Colonel:  It seems like a long way away but it comes a lot faster than you think!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

RogueLeader

I got 3 years 9 months time in grade for Lt Col left. I already have my level 4 done.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

ColonelJack

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 03, 2013, 03:29:05 AM
For anyone going for Lieutenant Colonel:  It seems like a long way away but it comes a lot faster than you think!

True that ... and may I add ... if you thought it was a long way away to get Lieutenant Colonel, imagine the endless horizons you'll face once you get it!  In other words, unless you grease for Wing King, you've gone as far as you're gonna go on the promotion trail, old timer.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on February 02, 2013, 03:59:38 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on February 02, 2013, 01:56:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use the pronunciation sometimes too, even though I'm a Captain-in-Perpetuity :-X...too much CBC and too many viewings of The Battle of Britain. ;D

Since I speak German, I sometimes use "Herr Leutnant" or "Herr Oberleutnant." :P

If we used the RAF/Commonwealth ranking system, you and I could call ourselves "Flight Lieutenant" and still use the "lef-tenant." 8)

So that makes me "Herr Oberstleutnant"!!  I like it.

As for the RAF system, I couldn't wrap my mind around "Wing Commander" since, in reality, I am not one.  (I always wondered, with the Squadron Leader and Wing Commander ranks, what do those officers do if they aren't serving as a squadron leader or wing commander?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 03, 2013, 04:21:44 AM
As for the RAF system, I couldn't wrap my mind around "Wing Commander" since, in reality, I am not one.  (I always wondered, with the Squadron Leader and Wing Commander ranks, what do those officers do if they aren't serving as a squadron leader or wing commander?)

Jack

Actually, since the end of WWII, those ranks aren't really accurate anyway.

Flying squadrons are usually commanded by Wing Commanders, and Flights are commanded by Squadron Leaders.  Virtually any officer aircrew not still undergoing training is a Flight Lieutenant or above.

Pilot Officers are usually freshly-minted officer graduates who will put on Flying Officer within a year or so, and then put on Flight Lieutenant after they're operationally-qualified.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 03, 2013, 04:19:25 AM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 03, 2013, 03:29:05 AM

True that ... and may I add ... if you thought it was a long way away to get Lieutenant Colonel, imagine the endless horizons you'll face once you get it!  In other words, unless you grease for Wing King, you've gone as far as you're gonna go on the promotion trail, old timer.

Jack

Although it doesn't make a lot of difference "pension" wise. I was thinking it might be a nice  gesture to give brevet promotions to long service members. I would suggest promoting LtCols to Col if they retire from CAP with 20 yrs TIG. IF they became active again, they would revert to LtCol.  I would also like to see active LtCols promoted to Col when they become 50 year members. There is at least one person like that here in IL who I know. I don't think we would have large numbers of non Wing CC Cols running around with those parameters,but the ones we do would IMHO really deserve it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

I always get a good laugh at people quoting they will be a Major in 2015 or Lt Col by 2020. People take for granted the rank in CAP. That is why we have incompetent officers.

Anyways a friend of mine is a 50+ year member and his TIG as Lt Col is 1968.

caphornbuckle

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 03, 2013, 05:50:23 PM
I always get a good laugh at people quoting they will be a Major in 2015 or Lt Col by 2020. People take for granted the rank in CAP. That is why we have incompetent officers.

I think it would be safe to say that these people have set a goal for themselves and if everything goes according to plan, this is the time frame that they would qualify for the promotions indicated.  It is not because of incompetence, it is because they set their standards high.

In all honesty, I blame those who promote members without digging deep into the candidate's CAP service.  I don't think anyone should be promoted who doesn't truly earn it regardless of grade.  That is TIG, PD, AND duty performance.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP