letter of non endorsement for New FL Wing Commander

Started by SARJunkie, February 14, 2011, 05:36:50 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 17, 2011, 02:49:31 AM
During the so-called "Pineda Affair," the only member of my unit who knew anything of what was going on was me, via CAPTALK and CAPBLOG.  No one else in my unit knew anything about it, nor cared.  Simply put, only the CAP "busy-bodies" (myself included) were in the know. 

Ditto.

Sadly the same can be said for our elected civil officials, with the electorate being so ill-informed that the order of names on the ballot can sometimes influence the outcome.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2011, 03:40:42 AM
During the so-called "Pineda Affair," the only member of my unit who knew anything of what was going on was me, via CAPTALK and CAPBLOG.  No one else in my unit knew anything about it, nor cared.  Simply put, only the CAP "busy-bodies" (myself included) were in the know. 

Ditto.

Sadly the same can be said for our elected civil officials, with the electorate being so ill-informed that the order of names on the ballot can sometimes influence the outcome.

Then you understand that what I am trying to say is that the ordinary CAP officer, those that go to meetings to take squadron staff positions, operate the aircraft, monitor/mentor the cadets and are there for the mission; cares little nor even knows about intrigues that go on at National...even those "big things" like changing out a National Commander.

Honestly, we just changed the photo on the wall and went on preparing for the next SARex.  Most people didn't even know, more precise to say didn't care, who the National Commander was other than a photo on the all an signature on documents. 

If most of us stayed dedicated to our jobs in our unit and stayed away from the political infighting that emerges from time to time (a main reason why I do not support these elections process, recalls, no confidence votes and other such that will turn CAP into a chaotic mess) we could, instead, further the missions we ACTUALLY DO HAVE.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2011, 03:40:42 AM

Ditto.

I agree. For the most part, politics at the national level belong to those most effected.  However, no matter how dedicated the general membership is to our missions, they must have some connection with more than "just the job". We all know most members stay in CAP when they feel their time is spent productively.  They also say they want to know their opinions are heard.  Almost all tell me, they are most satisfied when they feel accepted and a total part of the team.  This is true at all levels of CAP and, these "needs" should be addressed.

That being said, our governance model is most probably going to change in the not so distant future.  I think, no matter how we end up choosing our leadership, the general membership will need or, at least offered, to be part of the process. 

MSG Mac

So who are the applicants for the Florida Wing Command? Don't answer if the only name you know is the one you're protesting.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BillB

There is no confirmation on ANY candidates names. Wing has made no accouncements. All we hear are rumors. The entire procedure is closed to members view
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SARJunkie

Mike Cook
Brent Cox
Scott Martin
Art Giles

There are a few more.  but i know these are confirmed...
Ex CAP Guy!

Ned

One of the reasons supporting non-publicizing of applicants is that it may encourage more applicants; and a wider variety of applicants at that.

Sometimes a "long-shot" group commander applicant may not want her/his boss to know that they are applying, in case it doesn't work out.  Sometimes an "heir apparent" applicant may improperly apply pressure to other applicants to drop out of the process.  Sometimes applicants improperly spin and selectively release information about other applicants.  Sometimes applicants deliberately start rumor and whispering campaigns against other applicants.  They might even use places like CAPTalk to do such things in an effort to influence the selection process improperly. 

There are counter-arguments as well, of course.  But there are at least some good reasons to have a low profile application process.

Ned Lee

SARJunkie

what are they going to do?  2B me?

The application period is closed anyway...
Ex CAP Guy!

Thom

Sometimes I wonder what life is like in these other Wings...

The last time we had a vacancy we had exactly two applicants...and one withdrew immediately upon finding out that the other candidate, who no one believed wanted the hassle of the job, had relented and applied. So, we had one person who succumbed to pressure from his peers and applied (and eventually got the job), and another who had only applied because he believed the desired candidate wouldn't take the job, and then stepped back once that happened. That 2nd candidate didn't really want the job either, but believed it would be bad form for the Wing to not send a single nomination to NHQ.

No fuss, no drama, the Wing staff and Group and Squadron Commanders would have been thrilled with either candidate, frankly. Oh, and the new CC didn't make any changes to the existing Wing Staff, except to fill his own vacated position.

How do the rest of you manage to get any work done with all this politicking?

Thom

SARJunkie

Most of the Wing Staff has quit or gone quiet.  Hopefully the 'good guys' will win the Wing Commander battle, and bring the Wing back to were it should be.
Ex CAP Guy!

Capination

For what i've read this is common on most wings. No matter who is selected for the position, there will always be a group that disagree with the selectee's leadership style. I've been up in the Wing Staff, worked a lot, and helped a lot. I've been down at operations level, worked a lot and helped a lot. After all these years, my experience tells me that there is nothing better than working in a SAR or CD mission and do it professionaly, put in your grain of sand and return home without playing the politics game.