New Education and Training (Professional Development) Presentation Video

Started by JC004, May 12, 2020, 07:56:54 PM

JC004

The video covering the new SM Education and Training (Professional Development) program, from the SDWG Conference, has been posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNoCDQngQo

(Cliff Notes are below this post)

JC004

The program, in summary, is:

Legacy Program:

New Program:

Eclipse

Is the plan still to press forward on the changes with the current date(s) considering 'Ronaworld?

Will existing Light Kernals be able to knock out the PME to complete LV?

What makes up for the loss of CAP-specific curriculum that was included in SLS/CLC/RSC/NSC?
PME is many things, but applicable to CAP, in anything but the abstract, it's not.

#IHAVENOIDEAWHYINEEDEDTOKNOWABOUTLINEBACKER

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Yes.  August 4, then phasing in some things later like specialty track updates and SQTR-like Specialty Track worksheets in e-Services (projected 2021 for that).

They could go do the training modules that are equivalent to the retiring NSC program. 

The notations about how many module credits are in PME are a LIMIT to their credits.  The CAP-specific is all the OTHER modules one must complete on top of PME.

JC004

Imouttahere

Very useful!  Thanks a ton for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2020, 08:12:54 PMIs the plan still to press forward on the changes with the current date(s) considering 'Ronaworld?

What makes up for the loss of CAP-specific curriculum that was included in SLS/CLC/RSC/NSC?
PME is many things, but applicable to CAP, in anything but the abstract, it's not.

#BECAUSELEARNINGALITTLEAIRFORCEHISTORYWILLNOTKILLYOU

#

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on May 13, 2020, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2020, 08:12:54 PMIs the plan still to press forward on the changes with the current date(s) considering 'Ronaworld?

#BECAUSELEARNINGALITTLEAIRFORCEHISTORYWILLNOTKILLYOU

#

Not only that, but with the inconsistent quality of the CAP PD courses, do they really provide any value to the member? Sure, you get to check the box, but even with a standard curriculum, the delivery is spotty at best. Learning about LINEBACKER isn't just learning about LINEBACKER. It's learning about planning. It's changing the way you view the weaknesses in your planning and how your activity is impacting other activities. You know, stuff that is applicable to CAP, ES (inside and outside of CAP), business, bar trivia nights, your next chessboxing match, etc....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Ok, seriously, it has no relevance to CAP and the time could have been
better spent on something relevant to Unit management.

CAP doesn't need to be providing members with gen ed level intro to
history or romance languages. How to process a 120 or the stages of the CP would be time much better spent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on May 13, 2020, 02:41:14 PMOk, seriously, it has no relevance to CAP and the time could have been
better spent on something relevant to Unit management.

CAP doesn't need to be providing members with gen ed level intro to
history or romance languages. How to process a 120 or the stages of the CP would be time much better spent.

As every Second lieutenant and Ensign in the Military today has completed at least a Bachelor's Degree in some field prior to being Commissioned and as a general prerequisite most likely did have an introduction to history and one Romance language as well as their specific Service's history in their Officer Basic Course, CAP is just following suit.

Since CAP Officers are holding a para-military Rank that could (should) be seen as the equivalent to a Military Rank, you should be expected to have the general military knowledge, CAP specific knowledge and the general education level commiserate to the grade you hold.

It is for general level of professionalism that this system is now being put in place.

In your case, I'm sure doing a few more modules to complete your Level Five won't hurt you.   
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

^I'm sure this was the reasoning, it just doesn't hold up in the reality of CAP, nor in
the effective use of a volunteer's limited available time.

If members want to pursue the History track and educate themselves about what McPeak
had for breakfast each day in ROTC, good on 'em.

CAP training, especially anything required for progression or Professional Development,
should be focused squarely on ground-level wrench turning needs of a unit
or staff role.

This through-line of random inconsistent affectation of military models is what confuses
and frustrates members, most of whom are just trying to keep the doors open and
occasionally get some recognition for there effort.

Now, if every member was required to complete the same level of PD and salutin' school
in order to instill a baseline of understanding and core knowledge, you'd have a leg to stand on,
but in CAP's world, where CFI's walk in the door, get handed Tracks and never show up again,
while 10-year veterans with demonstrable success have to slog though 1-inch think tests
for the same grade, the math simply doesn't work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Maybe, maybe not. I would remind you CAP is the USAF Auxiliary, the Military Model, uniforms, Customs and Courtesies are going to remain in place as long as that connection remains.

In the Military, if you transfer between Services, your rank normally comes with you. If you have a certain skill set (medical and lawyers) you normally come in at a higher grade (O-3 vs O-1).

I've even seen it on the Enlisted side where the Army had a shortage of Truck Drivers and was giving licensed CDL Drivers an advanced promotion to Sergeant (E-5) after completing Basic Combat Training and testing out of 88M School.

Perhaps this would be a good time revisit the Coast Guard Auxiliary model where rank is temporary and is only held when you are holding a position that requires it?

Again, my idea of everyone being a Warrant/Flight Officer with a WO-1 through CWO-5 grade being awarded for Professional Development Level Completed would be better. No NCO ranks, no Prior Military Rank, no Prior Cadet Rank... just PD Level.

If you are in a Job/position that requires Rank, such as a Commander or Staff Officer, you only wear the Rank when in the Job and once you're not, take it off and put your Warrant/Flight Officer Insignia back on.

Keep your ribbons, keep your badges (including Commanders' Badges) and do your job.

Cadets would still have to respond to a Warrant/Flight Officer so no issues there either. it would be much fairer... don't you agree?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

I'm a patron Member and a "Friend of CAP". I have a CAPID and my check gets cashed every year.

;)

Sorry you don't like my outside the box thinking.
Joseph J. Clune

jeders

Quote from: shuman14 on May 13, 2020, 09:53:42 PMI'm a patron Member and a "Friend of CAP". I have a CAPID and my check gets cashed every year.

;)

Sorry you don't like my outside the box thinking.

I think the point that he was trying to make was that if your job REQUIRES rank, you are not in CAP because no job in CAP requires rank.

And with that said, thank you Colgan for posting this information. As for the rest of you, unless there is a reason to continue, we're done here.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse