What to expect as a new cadet in Civil Air Patrol.

Started by Hoorah, November 17, 2008, 11:34:08 PM

Hoorah

You have the ability to do fundraisers. In the summer you can go to a basic Encampment. Learn leadership. Learn drills and ceremonies. Learn how to salute an cadet or senior member higher than your ranking. Become a Cadet Captain.

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

MIKE

That's as far as I got... but I could've swore there were a few more achievements I didn't get to.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Hoorah

BuckeyeDEJ

I'm fairly sure there's more after the Earhart... come on, Williams, get with the program!  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

stratoflyer

It's an old thread but I thought it might deserve a good answer.

Inspired by our group cc, I think that the best word definitely is opportunity.

Show cadets that they will have many many opportunities that other people their age would never have. Even in similar cadet programs.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

And to boot, it's the only military-style youth activity with a real operational component!

Oh, and did we say, it's also the only one directly connected to the military?

DC

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 11, 2009, 04:20:13 PM
And to boot, it's the only military-style youth activity with a real operational component!

JROTC is connected to the military (probably a little more than CAP, actually...) ...

For non-school based programs though, yeah.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DC on February 12, 2009, 12:26:01 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 11, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

JROTC is connected to the military (probably a little more than CAP, actually...) ...

For non-school based programs though, yeah.
Sorry, was thinking about the Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, Young Marines, yada yada. Overlooked JROTC when I said that -- though yes, none of them have an operational component.