Conference Highlights / Suggestions

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, November 07, 2007, 07:21:22 PM

Capt M. Sherrod

I have recently taken on the task of Chairing the Conference Committee for our upcoming conference, and I was wondering what some of you on here had for ideas that worked well and also those that did not work well for your conferences.

Specifically, I am looking for ideas on seminars / discussions to hold / or not hold based on the experience of those that have been attended.

For example, if you think that a particular seminar (i.e. Professional Development) was helpful.  Please let me know that, but more so, why was it helpful and what material was covered.

Thank you for all of the responses, I appreciate the feedback.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

jimmydeanno

One of the most successful seminars I've ever been to was a seminar on Myers-Briggs personality type.  It was taught by Johnny Cain from Oregon(I think).  It takes about 2 hours, but is fantastic!

One of the things that drives me crazy about most conferences is that the person teaching usually doesn't really know what they're doing or they divert to trying to teach people regulation stuff. ie: "You must submit the AE report quarterly..."

Whatever you schedule, try to come up with something inventive and interesting, something that pertains to what we do, but is off the beaten path.

Try a "branding" seminar that has some interesting activities to help people realize the importance of branding...that might be fun.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I assume you're talking about a Wing/Region conference.  Here's my take:

Know your audience when planning topics.  A conference is not an augment to SLS or CLC or some other basic learning course and the majority of your conference attendees tend to be more seasoned CAP members.

I went to a PD session at a Wing Conference within the last year and it was terrible.  The speaker was mostly unprepared, and it was about the process of taking new members through Levels I and II.  Looking around the room, everybody at least had the Loening and most were squadron or group PD officers.  They wanted something interesting... a discussion, or maybe info on stuff they didn't know yet, or fresh ideas.  I pretended my phone was vibrating and left the session. 

I've been to some really great sessions.  What made them great?  The speaker was dynamic, the topic was actually informative to me (and I consider myself a fairly well informed CAP member), and the session was timed appropriately (didn't drag on, but allowed time for discussion, questions, and the topic to be covered sufficiently).   Some more memorable ones included a session on creative ways of funding the squadron (grant seeking, fundraising ideas, and local partnerships) and a "how to handle the cadet to senior transition" seminar, complete with a guide the presenter had written and distributed to all present on CD.

Other topics ideas I'd love to see covered:
"How to maximize SIMS in streamlining your Personnel management"
"Pipeline Recruiting, Induction and Orientation of Members"
"Mission Observer and Scanner Skills Workshop"
"Scoring the Coveted '(E)' on your SUI" by the IG
"Grant Seeking as it applies to Squadrons: sources, proposals, the regulations, ideas"
"Efficient Finance practices and ideas for the Unit under Wing Banker"
"DRMO - What's Available & How to Request"

I'd also like to see "galleries" featuring:

The Best of Squadron Newsletters & Publications
The Best of Squadron Press Releases
Squadron and Group Patches from Around the Wing/Region
The Best Cadet Programs Activities Ideas
The Best Unit Recruiting/Retention Practices

(Units below wing would submit their practices or examples, and creative displays with narrative summaries of each would be laid out on display tables for static display throughout the conference.  Awards could even be given in each category if you wanted to encourage more submissions)

The banquet is the highlight of all the conferences I have attended.  Encourage members to really dress it up and enjoy themselves.  The more entertaining the banquet is, the better experience for the conference attendees.

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I just got the email... My condolences.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Mike, your suggestions are great.  I know a certain Wing Chief of Staff that would love to have some help with the conference next year...  ;)

Pylon

Quote from: justin_bailey on November 07, 2007, 07:55:10 PM
Mike, your suggestions are great.  I know a certain Wing Chief of Staff that would love to have some help with the conference next year...  ;)

>:(
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on November 07, 2007, 07:57:36 PM
Quote from: justin_bailey on November 07, 2007, 07:55:10 PM

>:(

HA!  You're screwed.

Slim

Probably the biggest hit at our last wing conference was a "Learning Center" set up in an alcove off the lobby of the hotel's conference center.

Each wing staff section set up and manned a table where members could approach them for some one-on-one time to handle business and get more specific information, without having to try and do it during the actual seminars.

Internet access (wireless if you have a choice) was a plus for us.  For instance, my unit was issued three radios during that conference.  The comm guys just logged into CEAR, did the serial number transfers from their S-8 to ours, printed the form 37, and it was done.  No mailing/emailing back and forth, with the inherent dangers of paperwork getting lost.

Slim

Capt M. Sherrod

Does anyone else have any suggestions and / or thoughts on this for me?
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

pixelwonk

Encourage wing personnel and all-around "CAP gurus" throughout your wing to be breakout session presenters by offering a discount for their participation. If you can afford it, make their conference free.  If not, at least take off the price of the banquet.

Have a Web savant present to be an in-person helpdesk.  Whether it's E-Services, WMU or both, many people in CAP need help with these things and a Wing Conference is the only time they'll ask for it.

Don't discount the time you have at lunch for networking.  People will be eating lunch anyway, why not keep them around instead of going out to Mac's Steakhouse, etc...  Really terrific ideas are to be had during lunch.  It's just that way.

flyerthom

Quote from: 2d Lt M. Sherrod on November 08, 2007, 06:02:34 PM
Does anyone else have any suggestions and / or thoughts on this for me?

How about a guest speaker? Someone from the Fire service on how they do an Incident Command and how CAP might fit into that?
TC

jimmydeanno

I was just thinking about CAP conferences and I can't really think of any that have truly been worth the time and money I spent to go to them.  The only thing that I enjoy about them is seeing people I don't normally see too often and the banquet at the end (even sometimes that iffy)

Now I'm not complaining or just ranting, but I think that the point of conferences is somehow missed when we organize them.  They lectures are usually lacking.

For example, (no offense if I offend anyone here),  lectures usually include things like uniform wear, CPPT, OPSEC, etc - all stuff that people get during Level 1 or SLS, etc.  I always make suggestions and give ideas - even offer to teach one, but none seem to stick - I don't know if it's because no one wants to/can teach them or what.

When I go to a conference I would hope that there would be seminars that included things not involved in everyday CAP stuff.

For example, instead of the Public Affairs seminar telling me how to advance in a specialty track rating - have it be "Creating a successful squadron newsletter" or "Establishing Media Contacts in your area" or "Creating a brand image for your squadron," etc.

ES related things could include "Establishing connections with local SAR agencies," or "The advantages of ARCHER over FLIR."

They usually forget about cadets too.  BTW, Kudos to CAWG for their Cadet Conference, I hear it was a HUGE success.

The best seminar I've attended in the last 15 conferences I've been to was on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator.  It gave me insight on how to work with people who have different personality types than my own.  That was useful.

Does anyone else have this problem or see this in their areas?  Suggestions on how to fix it?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

I've never been especially big on our wing conferences, and the region conference that I attended wasn't that great, but I have always mostly liked the national conferences that I have attended.  WIWAC, we had a wing conference with a cadet element, which was nice and everything, but we weren't allowed to attend any of the real seminars, like ES and stuff.  I would rather have been doing that than playing with paper airplanes.   :(

pixelwonk

Short Field

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 07, 2007, 07:35:19 PM
One of the most successful seminars I've ever been to was a seminar on Myers-Briggs personality type. 

If you have not taken the Myers-Briggs personality type test, you REALLY need to.  It is a great eye opener for people when they identify their type - and read the expanded description of how that "type" thinks.  Most of the comments are along the "its like they followed me around and wrote down stuff about me!" lines.

MB is focused on how different types process information - it is neither good nor bad, just how it is processed.  That includes how each type learns differently, how to praise the different types (honestly - what really gets some types motivated just demotivates other types).

If you work with groups of people, it really pays to know how they process information - and how you process informatoin.  Well worth any time spent on it and most people find it enjoyable as well.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

bosshawk

I wholeheartedly agree with the words on Meyers-Briggs.  Have taken it several times and learned more about myself than in any other type of test or training.  Absolutely a huge help if you deal with people on a regular basis: which most of us do.  Too bad that CAP can't mandate it for folks in Group, Wing and Region positions: might scare the pants off some of them.  Or, heaven forbid, you might cause them to deal with members differently.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Maj Ballard

One suggestion... Keep "pilot/ops [censored] sessions" to themselves. At the recent FLWG conference, the last day's "awards ceremony" turned into one, and it was a complete waste of time.

As far as cadet conferences go, FLWG's has always been great. This year they had a session called "DDR vs. DDR" where cadets could play Dance Dance Revolution while wearing the Fatal Vision goggles. Good stuff.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

rebowman

Would the Meyers-Briggs personality test also be good for cadets?

How would we go about finding an "instructor"?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 24, 2008, 04:03:24 PM
Would the Meyers-Briggs personality test also be good for cadets?

How would we go about finding an "instructor"?

Last MBTI seminar that I went to said that it isn't accurate for people under 18 (maybe it was 16...) because their personalities haven't "developed."  Also, I would tend to think that most cadets wouldn't be able to apply and utilize the information that they gain in it until they are a little older anyway.  Personally, I wouldn't have it as a cadet seminar. 

If you are looking for an instructor, you could contact Lt Col Jonnie Cain from Oregon Wing.  He does a great job and does many of them every year for CAP - just be sure to treat him well :)