Panel Quiz Scoring - Excel/Template?

Started by a2capt, October 28, 2011, 09:35:41 PM

a2capt

Before I start .. I thought I'd ask, has anyone done an Excel setup for Panel Quiz scoring?

I'm thinking of one page per round, and a final page that takes the numbers from each, and print them off right after the round completes.

Ned

I would love to see someone write an iPad / iPhone app for this. 

It would be great for NCC if we could have the scoring done wirelessly.

We could gently tread toward the 21st Century!

NCRblues

Quote from: Ned on October 28, 2011, 10:35:19 PM

Whoa, easy Ned. Don't want to seem to much for change  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

Heh.. thats where I'm headed, is something that I can use on the iPad, actually. :) Excel is the first step, to get the framework mathwise done.

davidsinn

Quote from: Ned on October 28, 2011, 10:35:19 PM

Google docs on Android. Just write the spreadsheet and share. I'd be willing to try but I not sure what you all need.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

coudano

you could even do google forms
and share the form

and have it write its results onto a google sheet

a2capt

... cloud is partially a goal, but in order to reduce complaints about possible tampering, something has to be local.

Ideally, work off of something local, and it can share the results in read only form. But to enter raw into a cloud document, I'd probably never hear the end of it. As it is, the competition is rife with politics :)

A Filemaker runtime is another option I thought about. I want to spit out a report that looks just like the score sheets, where applicable, so that when original sheets come to CAP for computation from the judges, the numbers can be entered just as they are, computed and compiled. A report would produce score sheets that are filled out with the team name, judge # and score, that look like the ones from the regulation, as well as a ranking report of all competitions thus far can be produced.

Platform independent is better, but I have to start with something.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on October 29, 2011, 12:04:39 AM
... cloud is partially a goal, but in order to reduce complaints about possible tampering, something has to be local.

Ideally, work off of something local, and it can share the results in read only form. But to enter raw into a cloud document, I'd probably never hear the end of it. As it is, the competition is rife with politics :)

See that's the nice thing about Google docs. You can set permissions to read only for all but a select few. You could have each judge input scores on to separate sheets that only they have access to and then have that data pulled forward to a read only display sheet. Only authorized people can chamber data. If you can post the score methods I can try and knock something up on Sunday night.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Ron1319

The math is really simple.  The flow chart for the application is slightly more complicated.  The math is only ever +10/-10, +15/-15 or no change.  The app needs to keep track of which round it is and keep track of regular/bonus rounds.  In other words, it's the intelligence that makes the application useful.  Anyone should be able to do the arithmetic in their heads.  How about this psuedocode?

1) If question = correct and question number =< 5, then add 10 points, if question number => 5, add 15 points, else subtract 10 points or 15 points with same conditions
2) If question = incorrect, allow other team opportunity/time to answer question and award points using the same system.
3) If both teams have had opportunity to answer question and one team got answer correct, proceed to bonus question.
4) If bonus question correct, add 10 or 15 points depending on question number.
5) Question number ++, goto 1

Did I miss anything?
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Ozzy

yeah. #1, you included 5 for 10 points and `5 points. Should read:
1) If question = correct and question number =< 5, then add 10 points, if question number => 6, add 15 points, else subtract 10 points or 15 points with same conditions

changes bold/ital
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Ron1319

Oh right, I should have just said question number >5.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319