How often does CAP repaint the fleet?

Started by jfkspotting, September 19, 2017, 11:30:30 PM

jfkspotting

We currently  have a C172P that looks incredibly faded when compared to our 206 and 182.

Does cap repaint the fleet on a regular basis? Have the handful of ex-iraqi cessnas been repainted from gray yet?

Live2Learn

Quote from: jfkspotting on September 19, 2017, 11:30:30 PM
We currently  have a C172P that looks incredibly faded when compared to our 206 and 182.

Does cap repaint the fleet on a regular basis? Have the handful of ex-iraqi cessnas been repainted from gray yet?

Good question.  If your aircraft IS repainted be sure it is reweighed before it is returned to service.  Six or seven ago the C182 assigned to my then squadron was repainted and looked GREAT!  Unfortunately when it was reweighed 3 or four years later the squadron learned the calculated W&B (which was unchanged because the plane was "stripped...") was way off.  A new maintenance depot insisted on putting it on the calibrated scales.  The plane's true weight came in 110 lbs over it's pre-paint job weight.

jeders

Does cap repaint the fleet on a regular basis?

No, in fact there are still quite a few planes floating around that don't even have the current CAP paint scheme, despite how long it has been.

Have the handful of ex-iraqi cessnas been repainted from gray yet?

Afghani actually, and no; or at least the El Paso one is still grey sans all CAP exterior markings. Personally, I think it would look kind of cool with the CAP seal and roundel in subdued grey.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

arajca

CAP repaints aircraft as needed, not merely to match the current paint scheme. Repainting aircraft is not cheap, so repainting the entire fleet just to have a uniform appearance is not in the budget.

FTFY.

PHall

Aircraft are painted to prevent corrosion. A side benefit is that it makes them look "better". But corrosion control is the primary reason.

FW

The oldest "new" aircraft in the fleet are now 20 years old.  Unless there was major damage, I think none have been repainted yet.  That said, until recently, aircraft were repainted when the went thru the "refurb" process. I understand this program is no longer in effect.  Routine repainting may no longer be authorized....

etodd

Leading me to ask .... how many CAP aircraft have to sit outside?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

stillamarine

I'm sure quite a few. I know Bessemer's was always outside and I believe still is. Shelby County's used to be but I think its in a covered spot now. I know a couple in FLWG were as well.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

etodd

Quote from: stillamarine on September 20, 2017, 03:00:40 AM
I'm sure quite a few. I know Bessemer's was always outside and I believe still is. Shelby County's used to be but I think its in a covered spot now. I know a couple in FLWG were as well.

Is it a requirement that all new G1000 planes must be hangared? I heard someone say that but not sure if its official. Should be, if you ask me.

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on September 20, 2017, 03:36:46 AM
Is it a requirement that all new G1000 planes must be hangared? I heard someone say that but not sure if its official. Should be, if you ask me.

I know of no such CAP-wide requirement. Much of CAWG's fleet is unhangared, and quite a few of those are G1000s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

There is no requirement to hanger any of our fleet from NHQ. 

TheSkyHornet

CAPR 66-1 says aircraft should be hangared. It is not required, as mentioned previously.

Your Wing can mandate it, though, for the entire Wing or an individual unit depending on the location of that aircraft if conditions or environment might be too harsh at that location which can contribute to damage.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 20, 2017, 06:48:03 PM
CAPR 66-1 says aircraft should be hangared. It is not required, as mentioned previously.

Your Wing can mandate it, though, for the entire Wing or an individual unit depending on the location of that aircraft if conditions or environment might be too harsh at that location which can contribute to damage.

Sure, your wing can mandate it, as long as they include a check to pay the hanger rent. Unfunded mandates are not cool.

Fubar

Quote from: PHall on September 21, 2017, 12:30:29 AMSure, your wing can mandate it, as long as they include a check to pay the hanger rent. Unfunded mandates are not cool.

I have seen it go towards aircraft assignments though. You don't have a hangar? Here's the old rust bucket that we'll be selling soon. Squadron X with the hangar gets the shiney G1000 plane for now.

So it's not a requirement per se, but the point gets made.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on September 21, 2017, 05:35:59 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 21, 2017, 12:30:29 AMSure, your wing can mandate it, as long as they include a check to pay the hanger rent. Unfunded mandates are not cool.

I have seen it go towards aircraft assignments though. You don't have a hangar? Here's the old rust bucket that we'll be selling soon. Squadron X with the hangar gets the shiney G1000 plane for now.

So it's not a requirement per se, but the point gets made.

Right. The old loophole.

"Oh, you want a shiny new penny? Well all I have here is this crusty old one."

But can you blame them? Sure, there is a point of mission effectiveness. But mission effectiveness comes with the cost of resources, to include logistical needs (i.e., maintenance). If that cost is going to start outweighing the benefit of a new bird, why have a new one being treated in a way that's going to contribute to that?

Not to digress from the lad's OP

A.Member

Quote from: PHall on September 21, 2017, 12:30:29 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 20, 2017, 06:48:03 PM

Sure, your wing can mandate it, as long as they include a check to pay the hanger rent. Unfunded mandates are not cool.
Not exactly.   The Wing may require a hangar and it does not need to pay for it.  As an example, MNWG will not assign a squadron an aircraft unless they can provide a hangar.  A number of other Wings have a similar requirement.  The individual squadrons make arrangements for hangar space.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

NIN

In my wing, the local FBOs are willing to put our plane in the hangar in certain circumstances (ie. "mission tomorrow morning, need the plane un-snowy") but of the 5 "flying" squadrons, only one has really a "regular hangar."   

In the example of my unit, on our airfield there is the FBO's (small) hangar, another (small) hangar, the state police hangar, and then the pretty expensive T-hangars on the other side of the field, and the National Guard Aviation Support Facility.

So unless we're willing to build a hangar or rent a T-hangar, our plane sits on the tiedowns 99% of the time.  Or, as is the case at the moment, both planes.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on September 21, 2017, 06:14:28 PM

.... the pretty expensive T-hangars on the other side of the field ....

And thats where smoozing at the local Chamber of Commerce can possibly get you a corporate sponsorship, or two.

NIN

Quote from: etodd on September 21, 2017, 06:55:40 PM
Quote from: NIN on September 21, 2017, 06:14:28 PM

.... the pretty expensive T-hangars on the other side of the field ....

And thats where smoozing at the local Chamber of Commerce can possibly get you a corporate sponsorship, or two.

Perhaps.  Then again, we've been trying to build a Wing HQ on the field for the entire time I've been in the wing.. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Al Sayre

The simple answer is talk to your Squadron/Group/Wing Aircraft Maintenance Officer.  If the aircraft needs to be painted, he/she can contact NHQ and they will get it done.  It's not an involved process, two or three phone calls and email some pictures and then your airplane disappears for a couple of months and re-appears all shiny and new looking.  Here in the south, the sun is tough on paint and we've had to have a couple of our wing aircraft repainted as the original paint was starting to degrade to the point of peeling.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787