Which kneeboard?

Started by DC, September 05, 2009, 03:21:13 AM

DC

Okay, I'm in the market for a new kneeboard, I'm sick and tired of the ol' clipboard with an elastic strap and thought I'd get myself something a little nicer.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two options, though I am open to other suggestions.

Economy Zuluboard

Flyboys Kneeboard

I've had the Zuluboard recommended to me before, but I have a couple concerns based on some other things I've heard. Can you use accessories not made by Zuluworks? I've heard that there is a post at the top of the clipboard that prevents you from sticking other pads or cards there. Also, does flipping whatever is attached to the board forward get in the way? I have short legs so I usually sit pretty close to the panel.

I've seen the Flyboys board at a few AFBs, and I like the fact that I can stick pretty much anything on it, since it uses the common 7-hole punch format. It also doesn't look as thick as the Zuluboard, and thus less likely to interfere with yoke movement. Again, I'm short, so I jack the seat up a lot, and my legs sit just under the yoke's arc of rotation.

Anyway, any recommendations or advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Flying Pig

I use the Flyboys.  Its durable.  The eyelets on the side are great for your checklists, IFR charts, etc.  Not to big.  Lots of places to jam a pen without looking.  The metal clip board fits in a pocket and also makes a nice place to put a sectional.  Its pretty tight though but I can get a chart into it along with some other POH related items.  Ive had 2 of them.  The other was lost somewhere over the Sierras ;D

Airrace

Thom

I have the Flyboys Kneeboard, and honestly, I find I can hardly live without it now.  The 7 ring setup is perfect!  And, as stated above, there are plenty of pen pockets, plus a nice covered pocket which perfectly holds my Streamlight Sidewinder (rectangular) flashlight.

The newer Flyboys Kneeboards include a flexible plastic clipboard, which I find I really like.  It is stiff enough to write on easily, but flexes to your leg and fits much more comfortably than a traditional aluminum clipboard.

I'll also add that I tried a Zuluboard once and found that, as you feared, in small cockpits the 'flip forward' design doesn't work so well.  Very nice construction, but the design I don't find particularly suitable to very small cockpits.

I'll also add that whichever Kneeboard I am using on my right leg, I ALWAYS have my Leg-Acy Chart Holder (also sold as 3rd Hand and a couple of other names...) on my left leg.  It is a simple elastic and velcro strap with a big open metal clip that allows you to just slide your sectional into it and have it held in place.  Cost me around $9 and worth every penny.

One last note that the Rings and Oversize Page Holders that Flyboys sells are very nice.  The Rings are nothing you can't get elsewhere, but the Oversize Page Holders are very hard to find, and eliminate having to trim down pages to fit the page holders.  Very convenient.

Thom Hamilton

isuhawkeye

I really like the LC flight kneeboards
http://www.lcflight.com/body_kneebrd.html

I really like the fact that they make a Left handed version

airdale

"Best" depends on what your needs are.

I generally like the Flyboys stuff, but the loose rings on their kneeboard don't work for me.  I carry approach plates, airport diagrams, CAP radio crib sheets, and other stuff that I need to remove and replace in flight.  Fiddling with those rings, even if I don't drop one on the floor, does not work for me.

I ended up making my own, very similar to this one: http://www.harper-aviation.com/fixedRing.html but a little more compact.  For example, I used 3/4" rings instead of the 1" rings he uses.  I also stole the Zuluboard idea of a cloth leg wrap with velcro holding the board, so I can reposition the kneeboard to make it easier to write on.

BTW, Franklin Covey sells what is AFIK the least expensive and best 7-hole punch.

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing