When it rains it pours!

Started by Flying Pig, May 22, 2012, 02:44:22 AM

Flying Pig

So although I fly the helicopter at work off and on, on a rather infrequent basis, after 5 yrs of flying our plane full time I am finally leaving the plane behind and moving full time to the helicopter, but will stay the back up airplane pilot.
With that, I start my Multi-Engine and my CFII-SEL training because I will stay the unit airplane CFI. Im starting to prep one of my work partners for his initial CFI-H, and I start my 5 weeks of intensive mountain and long line training, followed by a separate week long mountain and full-touchdown auto rotation course in the helo.  We do our in-house mountain course that is about 50hrs, then go to another separate school for a week where they give us a second opinion on our skill level and the official thumbs up to the Dept that I am mountain qual'd. 
By the time I finally get released in the helicopter full time, I will be a CFI-H, with about 500hrs total helicopter with about 350hrs of that being dual with a 25,000hr instructor pilot whos been flying helos full time since 1967.    And I will still need about 500 more hrs (about 2 yrs) of flying before Im finally signed off with "No Restrictions".  Meaning performing all types of rescues at all altitudes, seal level to 12,000ft day and night over land or water. 

I need a nap just typing it.  Pacing myself, and being honest with my fatigue level and personal limits is my new mindset. 

NIN

mmmmm, touchdown autos.. Fun!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

What Flying Pig didn't say is that he flight instructs in helos and fixed wing on the weekends for two civilian flight schools.  Not that he is busy or anything like that.  I occasionally try to sandwich lunch into one of those days and they are few and far between.

It is often easier to PM him on CT than to talk to him on the phone.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 22, 2012, 02:44:22 AMBy the time I finally get released in the helicopter full time, I will be a CFI-H, with about 500hrs total helicopter with about 350hrs of that being dual with a 25,000hr instructor pilot whos been flying helos full time since 1967.    And I will still need about 500 more hrs (about 2 yrs) of flying before Im finally signed off with "No Restrictions".  Meaning performing all types of rescues at all altitudes, seal level to 12,000ft day and night over land or water. 

Sheesh...

...a law enforcement SAR pilot CFI helo driver...

If I started selling dart boards with your photo I could retire.

Good on ye!

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

You should see him charging around Fresno International on his golf cart.  I've ridden with him: get in, sit down, shut up, hang on.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bosshawk on May 22, 2012, 05:32:32 PM
You should see him charging around Fresno International on his golf cart.  I've ridden with him: get in, sit down, shut up, hang on.

That's how they teach them to drive at the academy >:D.

Flying Pig

Remaining upredictable is the key to hardening yourself against a terrorist attack >:D

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 22, 2012, 05:55:55 PM
Remaining upredictable is the key to hardening yourself against a terrorist attack >:D

CIA abduction too.

SARDOC

Quote from: NIN on May 22, 2012, 05:30:15 AM

Make sure your wearing a helmet.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 22, 2012, 06:09:51 PM

CIA abduction too.

Watch out for the black van.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Struts

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 22, 2012, 06:39:47 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 22, 2012, 06:09:51 PM

CIA abduction too.

Watch out for the black van.
Not the black van!

gw263

I did 5 touchdown autos today, they are alot of fun, if done correctly.  If not, not much fun.  We also do low level autos to the ground (90 knots, 50 feet, lower collective, maintain altitude with cyclic until 60 knots, then it is a regular auto.  Also autos with turn, 180 degree turn and auto to the ground.  Lots of fun, do not overspeed rotor in the turn.
Greg, IP, IERW, Fort Rucker.

PHall

Quote from: SARDOC on May 22, 2012, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: NIN on May 22, 2012, 05:30:15 AM

Make sure your wearing a helmet.

A whoopie cushion can be a good thing too! >:D

Flying Pig

Quote from: gw263 on May 22, 2012, 10:03:50 PM
I did 5 touchdown autos today, they are alot of fun, if done correctly.  If not, not much fun.  We also do low level autos to the ground (90 knots, 50 feet, lower collective, maintain altitude with cyclic until 60 knots, then it is a regular auto.  Also autos with turn, 180 degree turn and auto to the ground.  Lots of fun, do not overspeed rotor in the turn.
Greg, IP, IERW, Fort Rucker.

We actually do 0 airspeed auto's from 500ft.  Those are fun:)  Fortunately we get to go to full touchdown course for two hours every 3 months. But while at work we can do power recoveries all day if you felt like it.  We do ours in a 500D.  Good times.  I personally feel touch downs are easier that power recoveries any day.  I hate teaching the FAA version of autos, because we arent trained to do them that way at all.  Air speed pretty much isnt even looked at until about the last 100ft.

Have you had the chance to do any backwards?  Basically, at the power cut, pull it into a hard flare and hold it and youll actually start traveling backwards.  Its a neat trick if your spot is behind you.  Once you get abeam your spot, then side slip to it and at the last moment point the nose at the target, get some airspeed and flare for the touchdown.  Fortunately my instructor for my last couple hundred hours is a 25,000hr pilot with 9 real autos under his belt.  A couple in Bell 47s in the late 60s, 300C's and 2 in 500D's.  He has a lot of things that work that youll never find in any book, and they all seem to work.
We practice to be able to hit a cul-de-sac from any position within gliding distance, even if its right below you.   Because thats pretty much all we've got is a street :o  Out in the county.....I could auto all day long into the wheat fields ;D  Are you in the 58?

This is all why I take particular interest when the posts come up occasionally wanting to know why CAP doesnt have helicopters ;D

gw263

Nope, we fly the TH-67, basically a 206BIII.  We don't do zero ground run autos in practice, as it increases the chance of spike knock.  Everything we teach and demonstrate is in the Army Flight Training Guide.  I also have about 1000 hours in the 500 (retired LEO), and enjoy flying it more than the 206, but the 206 autos better (more inertia in the blades).  Everything else, the 500 does better.

Flying Pig