who can supervise a MP(T)?

Started by md, April 05, 2011, 10:19:32 PM

md

Hi all,

Does anyone know the rules about who can supervise a MP in training? I know they have to be a MP, but do they have to have a F5 in the plane they're flying? And what about someone giving a F91 checkride? I'm guessing this is determined by national procedures, not wing.

Eclipse

They must be current and qualified as a Mission Pilot Skills Evaluator, and also qualified in the aircraft they are in.

Most wings hold a select list of prequalified and approved SET / 5 / 91 check pilots.

"That Others May Zoom"

md

Ok, that's what I'd guess. Was wondering though since the MP(T) will technically be PIC, so I can see someone arguing that the other person doesn't need to be F5ed.

On the other hand, do they need to be current?

JeffDG

Additionally, an IC, OSC or AOBD can also supervise an MP(T) remotely on an actual or training mission.

md

OK, thanks for the answers, folks. In the end, I asked the powers that be and got the following answer (and this is why I don't post to captalk - usually get the answers some other way before I get around to it  :P)

As that equivalency table says, an IC, OSC, PSC, etc. can indeed supervise a MP remotely for things like recurrency, but they'd rather have an actual MP in the plane for a MP(T).

On the other hand, the MP(T) is indeed PIC, so the MP doesn't have to be F5ed in that plane (though of course must have a current F5 to be a current MP; and they DO want the supervising MP to be G1000 qualed if it's in a G1000).

Of course, a F91 check pilot must have a current F5 in the plane flown.

JeffDG

Check your chart more carefully...a PSC cannot supervise an MP, only OSC or below that, an AOBD.

DG

Quote from: md on April 05, 2011, 10:19:32 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know the rules about who can supervise a MP in training? I know they have to be a MP, but do they have to have a F5 in the plane they're flying? And what about someone giving a F91 checkride? I'm guessing this is determined by national procedures, not wing.

md,

I don't know of any written rule that the Mission Pilot Instructor must have a Form 5 in the aircraft.

If anyone says otherwise, ask for a citation of the rule in a specific regulation.

Keep in mind, that some folks who give directions on CAPTalk, like Eclipse, are not even pilots.

It is not required for the Mission Pilot Instructor to be at the dual controls, because at NESA MAS and elsewhere, they teach from the back seat.

Of course, the Mission Pilot Trainee must have a Form 5 in the aircraft to be flying it, to be releasable as a CAP Pilot if they are not receiving dual flight instruction.

bosshawk

And the Mission Check Pilot or Check Pilot does not have to have a F5 in the G1000 in order to administer a F 91.  I was a Mission Check Pilot and I gave a number of F 91s in G1000 planes before I opted out of CAP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ßτε

Quote from: bosshawk on April 06, 2011, 10:50:55 PM
And the Mission Check Pilot or Check Pilot does not have to have a F5 in the G1000 in order to administer a F 91.  I was a Mission Check Pilot and I gave a number of F 91s in G1000 planes before I opted out of CAP.
That has changed since you opted out.

bosshawk

Is the change in the new 60-1?  I gave a 91 in a glass 182 the last week in Feb.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

peter rabbit

From the current CAPR 60-1 dated 24 March 2011, para 3-7:
j. CAP Mission Check Pilot.
(1) Must be a qualified SAR/DR mission pilot.
(2) Have participated in 25 mission sorties (actual and/or training) as a SAR/DR mission pilot.
(3) Must satisfactorily complete a CAPF 91 mission check pilot check ride given by a CAP Mission Check Pilot Examiner within the preceding 24 calendar months IAW CAPR 60-3.
(4) Satisfactorily complete the online National Check Pilot Standardization Course prior to initial appointment and every 4 years thereafter.
(5) Must be designated in writing as a CAP Mission Check Pilot by the wing or region commander, Executive Director, or their designee.
(6) Must be Cessna Nav III qualified to administer a CAPF 91 to a member who is flying a Cessna Nav III G1000 aircraft for that flight evaluation.

Of course, any MP with SET can help train a MP(T), provided they have been a MP for at least one year.

SarDragon

Quoteany MP with SET can help train a MP(T)

Why is the SET needed to provide training? SET is needed to evaluate members to sign off the training on the SQTR.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

peter rabbit

QuoteWhy is the SET needed to provide training? SET is needed to evaluate members to sign off the training on the SQTR.

You are correct - that's what I meant to type.