I was thinking about asking my squatron Commander I mean can we where Berets?

Started by rick98, May 08, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

rick98

Can we were berets instead of a squadron hat because our squadron hats look weird with Bright red we kinda look like the Elmo squadron . I was thinking red Berets with our squadron patch on the front...

Please answer

Struts

Do you normally wear the BDU cap or some sort of red baseball cap? 8)

Struts

Quote from: 754837 on May 08, 2012, 12:37:32 AM
Clearly a joke or bait!
Could be a legitimate question from somebody who is very new to CAP. Benefit of the doubt. But red berets? ftp://

titanII

No, the Squadron Commander could not authorize a red beret for wear.
From CAPM 39-1, the Uniform Manual:
Quote3. BDU Cap:  Either the USAF or Army style BDU cap or camouflage BDU baseball cap may be worn
with the BDU uniform.  Senior members, cadet NCOs, and airmen do not wear any type of insignia
on the cap.  Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia centered 1/2 inch above the visor on
the BDU cap.  Cap will not be worn crushed or rolled. Marine style BDU cap is not authorized.
4. CAP Baseball Cap:  May be worn with the utility uniforms if authorized by the unit commander. 
The color, material, unit designation, or silk screen organizational emblem or badge will be
prescribed by the unit commander.  Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above
visor.
page 41
No longer active on CAP talk

tsrup

Wing commander may authorize a beret for special purpose wear, however, it must be blue.

The wing commander is also not likely to authorize it for just your squadron to wear just because you don't like your hat. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Abby.L

BDU/BBDU patrol/baseball cap, or squadron cap. If you go to NBB, wonderful. Wear it all you want after that. Why would you wear a red cap anyway if you look like "The elmo squadron"?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

FlyTiger77

Quote from: rick98 on May 08, 2012, 12:33:43 AM
Can we wear berets instead of a squadron hat...red Berets with our squadron patch on the front...

Negative, Ghostrider.

And, when they are worn, berets typically have a flash. Unless it is really tiny, a squadron patch wouldn't fit.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Nathan

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 08, 2012, 08:23:38 PM
Can we wear berets instead of a squadron hat...red Berets with our squadron patch on the front...

And, when they are worn, berets typically have a flash. Unless it is really tiny, a squadron patch wouldn't fit.

I'm not sure about that. The flash that goes on a green beret seems to be roughly the same size of the average squadron patch.

Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Nathan on May 08, 2012, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 08, 2012, 08:23:38 PM

I'm not sure about that. The flash that goes on a green beret seems to be roughly the same size of the average squadron patch.

I think most flashes are somewhat shorter than most squadron patches and are certainly not as wide. I don't have one of my berets here at the office to measure. Regardless, a red beret won't fly.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 08, 2012, 08:43:06 PMI think most flashes are somewhat shorter than most squadron patches and are certainly not as wide. I don't have one of my berets here at the office to measure.

I'd say by about 1/2 - a unit insignia should be about 3.5 to 4 inches tall.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

All berets in the Army use the same size flashes, just different colors for different units. And I can tell from my squadron patch and my black beret from the Army, they are a massive difference in size. I just wish I still had my black beret from the Army to take a picture for you.

The way berets are done in INWG for GTMs is cadet enlisted wear the cadet enlisted hat device, cadet officers wear their full size rank, and senior members wear the SM hat device. It looks good. But I really don't think it would even look good on any other color of beret.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Back WIWABS in the '70s, I wore a red beret.  It was awful, because it was so garish, and the model the BSA used didn't even have a "stiffener" in it, that I remember.

As many CT colleagues know, I do like berets and cannot understand why they're so polarising in the US services - either they're viewed as "elite only" or "they're terrible."

I do agree that blue is the only reasonably good-looking colour for us, though no doubt there are advocates for grey. ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 08, 2012, 11:35:15 PMThe way berets are done in INWG for GTMs is cadet enlisted wear the cadet enlisted hat device, cadet officers wear their full size rank, and senior members wear the SM hat device. It looks good. But I really don't think it would even look good on any other color of beret.

I've gone around with Sinn on this as well, but for the life of me I don't see the point.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2012, 11:53:35 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 08, 2012, 11:35:15 PMThe way berets are done in INWG for GTMs is cadet enlisted wear the cadet enlisted hat device, cadet officers wear their full size rank, and senior members wear the SM hat device. It looks good. But I really don't think it would even look good on any other color of beret.

I've gone around with Sinn on this as well, but for the life of me I don't see the point.
With which part?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2012, 12:34:20 AM
Berets in INWG.
So far as I understand it, it is authorizable by wing kings, and it has been around as long as I can remember.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 09, 2012, 12:52:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2012, 12:34:20 AM
Berets in INWG.
So far as I understand it, it is authorizable by wing kings, and it has been around as long as I can remember.

I understand the how, just not the why.

"That Others May Zoom"