Gray and white NB proposal.

Started by davidsinn, November 11, 2009, 03:13:38 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: Quote from: jacob on Today at 08:06:29

I'd be all for that.  I've seen similar proposals with BDUs a number of times - at least designing them.  Never seen a grassroots effort to push proposals up the chain in every wing.

Well maybe it's time to start.  They may not listen, but they will know that people support change.

If one person in each wing can agree to do this, and ask more local members to do it, at least 2-3 other people, you are already looking at 200+ proposals at wing level.

I'm going to accept that challenge. I'm going to start an adhoc single purpose CAPTalk uniform committee to send a proposal up in as many wings as possible for the winter boards.

I need four volunteers:
At least one photoshop warrior
And at least one decent writer
and two other people with a good imagination and decent Google-fu.

This committee will take the gray and whites and professionalize them. We will not be trying to bring back the CSU as I feel that is a lost cause at this point. We will maintain the basic concept of the uniform (aviator shirt and gray pants) and try and find standards to apply to it to make them the same throughout CAP. I'd also like to add missing items to it such as headgear and a real uniform jacket. This is where photoshop will come in.

The output of this committee will be a PDF file that will be distributed on this forum so that members may submit it up the chain of command for the winter boards.

Although I don't like the blazer uniform we will not recommend it's demise as it does fill a purpose. We will leave the polo uniform in the uniform closet but may tweak it to use the same pants as the aviator uniform or specify optional gray BDU pants for field use. This committee will not address any AF style uniform.

I intend to take the gray and white to the same standard of professionalism that the CSU had but not make the same mistakes that where made in it's implementation and to propose a complete uniform system that will work in nearly all climates.

Who's with me?  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Angus

While I applaud the idea of trying to make this uniform standard.  I would suggest start small with this idea.

For now just stream line the current regs so a particular shade and style of grey pant.  Adding the headgear ok.  But for now hold off on a service coat.  Maybe tackle that next time. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Angus on November 11, 2009, 04:11:42 PM
While I applaud the idea of trying to make this uniform standard.  I would suggest start small with this idea.

For now just stream line the current regs so a particular shade and style of grey pant.  Adding the headgear ok.  But for now hold off on a service coat.  Maybe tackle that next time.

When would be the next time?

The Grays aren't a uniform, just something presentable at this time.

davidsinn

If I finish the uniform out completely then it shouldn't need to be revisited for a very long time yet to come. I'm trying to calm the masses that are rightfully cranky that their professional looking uniform was killed, not torque of the AF and stay pretty close to what we have now. To do that I need to have the same things the CSU had but make it different enough that the AF shouldn't have an issue with it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on November 11, 2009, 04:31:05 PM

If I finish the uniform out completely then it shouldn't need to be revisited for a very long time yet to come. I'm trying to calm the masses that are rightfully cranky that their professional looking uniform was killed, not torque of the AF and stay pretty close to what we have now. To do that I need to have the same things the CSU had but make it different enough that the AF shouldn't have an issue with it.

And standard pants are easy enough to do. I believe Vanguard stocks the aviator shirts already, same can be done with a prescribed gray pant.

davidsinn

I've pretty much got a plan in mind. I just need people to bounce it off of and to help me polish it up so that it has a better chance of gaining traction.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jacob

Well I said I'd be all for it in the other thread, so I'm in!  :)  I'm a good writer and editor.

I concur with NOT trying to bring back the CSU - the politics attached to that uniform hamper it too much.  I also agree with adding headgear and pants to the grey and white uniform now vice later - the constant state of change is one of the complaints, so why introduce more phases of change than necessary?

Besides disregarding any AF style uniform for this proposal, I think we should also leave field uniforms alone with the exception of proposing a field variant of the polo uniform.  While I personally feel we should have one single field uniform system (BDU-equivalents and a flight suit), one single dress uniform system (which would mean no blazer combination), and the polo shirt (an inexpensive / informal / starter option), pushing for any of that right now will not help advance the purpose of this proposal - namely, to professionalize the grey and whites.

I have some good ideas for the polo combination based on the Maryland Defense Force's civilian uniform.

Kudos to you Lt Sinn for taking this on!

davidsinn

OK that's 4. I can handle the Photoshop work although it won't be as pretty as it could be. The working group is formed although if someone is good with photoshoping they're more than welcome to help on a part time basis
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

I think we tried this here once before, and I know Pylon was on the committee.  Should be a lot of ideas and reference materials around to help you not reinvent the wheel.  My only suggestion would be to switch from grey pants to khaki pants for the polo since grey can be hard to find.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 11, 2009, 05:58:41 PM
I think we tried this here once before, and I know Pylon was on the committee.  Should be a lot of ideas and reference materials around to help you not reinvent the wheel.  My only suggestion would be to switch from grey pants to khaki pants for the polo since grey can be hard to find.

Khaki would look nice if it were standard. However, with my idea you'd wear the same standard pants with both uniforms and it would match the new service jacket. I'm also thinking about optional gray BDU pants if you wish to wear the polo in an operational environment.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

I know some Photoshop, not sure if it will be enough for this, but I can help out.

AlphaSigOU

I'd be more than happy to write up the descriptions and specifications for this uniform; while I'm a drafter by trade, my Photoshop skills suck pond water.

Squiddies brought back their khaki service dress uniform after nearly 40 years of hibernation; if we have a similar-cut uniform but in medium gray with the AF blue flight cap and/or service cap it might be the best of both worlds. I'll have to do some research.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Smithsonia

The khaki (also called suntans) with the blue Air Force Caps looks good. Catch Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart on AMC or is it TCM one night and you'll see it. The uniform was beloved by the Air Corps/Air Force and chosen by Hap Arnold and John Curry as the uniform that they wanted to be buried in. And, so they were.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

davidsinn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 11, 2009, 06:34:15 PM
while I'm a drafter by trade, my Photoshop skills suck pond water.

Hi twin.  ;D I do mechanical drafting on AutoCAD what's your field and tool of choice.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn