White "Aviator" shirt.....is Army standard OK??

Started by Spike, September 16, 2009, 08:35:33 PM

Spike

I hate the "Aviator" brand shirt we wear with Gray pants, or the CSU.  The Army is now allowing Marlow White to sell a shirt similar in design, but much more professional looking than anything CAP has.  Is this OK??

http://www.marlowwhite.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=07-202

Eclipse

Army ASU:

For one thing we don't use sewn creases on any of our uniforms.  I recently saw a number of people wearing literally security guard shirts with both the Aviator combo and CSU.  Complete with embroidered badge holes.   ::)

Note also the different shape to the pockets:

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

When you see them side by side, they look completely differnet.  I cant believe the Army is going with sewn in creases???? Seriously...

arajca

Per Ms Parker, the pocket shape is not fixed. It must be flapped, but can an AF style or Aviator style pocket.

Spike

Military creases are not allowed in AF style, but corporates??  Did I miss the sentence telling us no creases in aviator corporate clothing?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on September 16, 2009, 10:15:55 PM
Military creases are not allowed in AF style, but corporates??  Did I miss the sentence telling us no creases in aviator corporate clothing?

I seriously doubt you'll find anything defined as an "aviator shirt" which has sewn-in creases.

Further, both 39-1 and the ICL's have photos of what NHQ defines as an aviator shirt.

The ASU is not an aviator shirt.

We already have enough issues without looking like these guys.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 16, 2009, 10:05:22 PM
When you see them side by side, they look completely differnet.  I cant believe the Army is going with sewn in creases???? Seriously...

They are not sewn in but rather have a bead of silicone holding the shape of the crease.

Personally I think this shirt is MUCH better as it is MUCH cheaper to purchase through AAFES and has a military cut.  Also, why not we already wear the Army jacket, sweater and overcoat.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Gunner C

Here's the question:

Since it's designed for the army, does it come in "full figure" sizes?

Also, I'm pretty sure that after a couple of times through the cleaners with starch, the military creases will be "bye-bye."

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on September 17, 2009, 12:49:18 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on September 16, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

They are not sewn in but rather have a bead of silicone holding the shape of the crease.
I won't argue that you've found them with epoxy, but most are sewn with a line of stitching on either side of the crease.

Quote from: cap235629 on September 17, 2009, 12:49:18 AM
Personally I think this shirt is MUCH better as it is MUCH cheaper to purchase through AAFES and has a military cut. 
AAFES is not likely to stock the sizes most members wearing aviator whites would need - they don't even stock  sizes, let alone "husky".  Further, tapered shirts are not going to be the friend of those wearing whites or the CSU, either.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: cap235629 on September 17, 2009, 12:56:22 AM
they are permanent press, no starch needed

Sure, if you want to look like a limp biscuit.  The only way to look sharp is starch IMO.  WIWOAD, my grey/green shirt was always starched.  So was everyone else's above the rank of private.  It prevents looking like one of the bag brothers.

cap235629

This shirt is made from a totally different material than the old Green's.

I was an MP, so I BLEED starch...... LOL
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on September 17, 2009, 03:49:35 AM

"...Herringbone cloth weave – this permanent-press 65/35 poly-cotton cloth is much heavier than the Class A green shirt cloth, providing a dressier and "classier" look..."

Just what I'd want, a heavier shirt...

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

The shirts I have for my day job have the glued in creases.  Not to bad.  I still iron in the creases to make them look sharp.  However, I wear a flight suit all day now..no ironing there.

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2009, 04:01:08 AM

"...Herringbone cloth weave – this permanent-press 65/35 poly-cotton cloth is much heavier than the Class A green shirt cloth, providing a dressier and "classier" look..."

If it's heavier, then I'll stick with the aviator shirt. (Not that I have the boyish figure for it anyway)  ;D

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2009, 04:01:08 AM

Yeah that 2.9 ounces of extra material will make a big difference in how long you can wear it before getting too tired.

It is a more professional and military looking shirt than the current aviator.

Since we wear Army junk already....how hard is it to just throw this into the mix?? 

arajca

If it weren't for the creases, no one would really know or care. However...

Prospector

Until CAP starts to issue uniform items to Seniors, there will always be people who are mismatched in some way, not in blatant disregard for the regs, but mostly because of price and what's available on the market in their area. :angel: 

Mustang

If you're looking for a higher-quality aviator shirt and don't want to look like a mall cop with the permanent creases front & back, check out the Commander style from Van Heusen.  It's a only a few more bucks than the Aviator but is of far better construction and made of 65/35 cotton/poly pinpoint oxford cloth--which will starch far better, for those of you with a starching fetish. The only design differences between the Aviator and Commander are the Commander's box pleat on the back and the open-top faux-flap pockets, which can be sewn/stitch-witched shut easily enough.

The Commander is available in all the popular donut-eating s'member sizes up to neck size 22 (which should correlate to something like 5XL or so through the midsection, judging by  the one I own in size 20) and as low as $17.50 if you scout around on the innerweb a little.

Great shirts, I highly recommend them.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: Spike on September 16, 2009, 10:15:55 PM

No, but if it isn't specifically authorized by the 39-1, it isn't authorized.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

arajca

Quote from: Mustang on September 19, 2009, 11:04:09 AM
The Commander is available in all the popular donut-eating s'member sizes up to neck size 22 (which should correlate to something like 5XL or so through the midsection, judging by  the one I own in size 20) and as low as $17.50 if you scout around on the innerweb a little.

Great shirts, I highly recommend them.
Unfortunately, like the Aviator shirt, they're not available in tall above 18 1/2. The standard body body length above that is made for the 5'8" male, not 6'.

Gunner C

I checked on that web site mentioned earlier - the army shirt only goes up to 19.

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Mustang

Quote from: arajca on September 19, 2009, 02:21:06 PM
Unfortunately, like the Aviator shirt, they're not available in tall above 18 1/2. The standard body body length above that is made for the 5'8" male, not 6'.

I'm 6'2" and while the body length isn't optimal, it's acceptable.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on September 20, 2009, 01:03:20 AM
I checked on that web site mentioned earlier - the army shirt only goes up to 19.

AAFES can custom make a shirt in any size you need.  They've done it for me, I'm sure they can do it for the Army.

"That Others May Zoom"