White aviator shirt

Started by vento, November 03, 2008, 08:31:47 PM

vento

39-1 is not very clear with the wear of the white aviator shirt by senior members. Is a senior member without grade allowed to wear the white aviator shirt? If so, since the grey epaulet for SM without grade doesn't exist, what insigna should be worn with the white shirt?

Thanks!

Eclipse

Yes, SMWOG are authorized to wear it - until you make 2d Lt. you only wear the gray name tag, and any badges and ribbons
you may have earned.

No epaulet sleeves.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: vento on November 03, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
39-1 is not very clear with the wear of the white aviator shirt by senior members. Is a senior member without grade allowed to wear the white aviator shirt? If so, since the grey epaulet for SM without grade doesn't exist, what insigna should be worn with the white shirt?

Thanks!

Yes, the white aviator shirt can be worn by senior members.  In place of the grey epaulet sleeve you would wear two "CAP" cutouts on your collar to represent your grade.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

SMWOG usually wear the CAP cutouts on the collar of the aviator shirt.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 03, 2008, 08:43:24 PM
In place of the grey epaulet sleeve you would wear two "CAP" cutouts on your collar to represent your grade.

Quote from: NCO forever on November 03, 2008, 08:48:03 PM
SMWOG usually wear the CAP cutouts on the collar of the aviator shirt.

Where is the basis for that in CAPM 39-1?  I agree with Eclipse; SMWOG merely wears no grade insignia.

LtCol057

SMWOG wears the CAP cutouts on both sides of the collar for the USAF lt blue shirt. Doesn't say anything about wearing the cutouts on the white aviator shirt.

Rob Sherlin

On the CSU, the cut outs are worn on the jacket lapel if you opt to wear it, but I haven't seen anything about having them on the white aviator shirt.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

notaNCO forever

I just looked it doesn't seem to specify either way for SMWOG. In my opinion it would make sense to wear them if they are worn on the blues, but since the regs don't say either way I would say I was wrong and you don't wear them. Must of been an oversight when they published the 39-1.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 03, 2008, 09:08:32 PM
SMWOG wears the CAP cutouts on both sides of the collar for the USAF lt blue shirt. Doesn't say anything about wearing the cutouts on the white aviator shirt.

Well, I guess that would imply that they would wear the grey blank epaulets then, wouldn't it.  It says "grey epaulets with embroidered grade insignia."  Since the insignia for SMWOG is the "CAP" device...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

I think the grey slides are meant for CAP NCOs not for SMWOG.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NCO forever on November 03, 2008, 09:30:13 PM

Presumably; at Vanguard they are listed specifically as "ENLISTED".

LtCol057

It's not like you're gonna be mistaken for RM wearing the white & gray without grade insignia.  The gray nameplate says you're in CAP.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 03, 2008, 09:37:49 PM
It's not like you're gonna be mistaken for RM wearing the white & gray without grade insignia.  The gray nameplate says you're in CAP.

The same argument could be made about the blues, so you would think they would choose to do the same thing for both uniforms.

Rob Sherlin

By the way, in case anyones interested, I found these shirts for around $16 at www.garffshirts.com. I thought it was a pretty good deal compaired to the $22 some others are charging, and they're the same brand and everything.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

DNall

FYI, if you can wait for the Army white shirt that's supposed to be coming out within the next couple months, you should go with that. It's the same as the blues shirt, but white (obviously). I believe that's been recommended as part of the ongoing update. If you can't wait, go with something cheap & be prepared to buy the Army one when you need to get a new one in a year or two.

Rob Sherlin

They're coming out with a new shirt and changing it again? I wonder how clear they're going to be on the wear of this one. I think they should have been a little more thorough on the explaination of what to where on the one that is current. It took me a while to find out about the whole epaulet thing (for both the grey and the blue) from postings here.
  I was confused because I was looking at the uniform package deals at the Hock, and in the spot for you to choose epaulets, it gives you the choice (no grade). So, I thought it would be the same for wear with the blue pants, only blue instead of grey, but I was only able to find the blue ones for 2d.Lt. and up. Then someone pointed me to look under regular AF at Vanguard. They had lower ranks, but it seemed only for SGT levels.
  Anyway, after a lot of confusion, I was told that they originaly made the plain greys for members below Officer rank to pin the metal ranks on, but no one wears them.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 03, 2008, 09:35:58 PM

Sent the Q into the Knowledgebase, they replied (essentially) that this epaulet is worn by a SMWOG. 

vento

Thanks to all for the help with clarifications.  :)
I guess the best bet is no epaulet sleeves for SMWOG.

DNall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 05, 2008, 06:25:35 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 03, 2008, 09:35:58 PM

Sent the Q into the Knowledgebase, they replied (essentially) that this epaulet is worn by a SMWOG. 

That would be wrong. Though I like that answer, it is not what it specified in regs.

Everyone else, I sympathize with your pain on the poor nature of our current reg and the way that's translated by our couple retailers. I've been assured those issues are being addressed by our uniform cmte & you should see some progress at the next NB meeting. I'm sorry CAP has been screwed up in the past. We can't change that. We can only work to make it right in the future.

O-Rex

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 03, 2008, 09:37:49 PM

Given the reactions to the new Army uniform, I thin the RM is more concerned with being mistaken for a CAP member....

I'd love to get the Army white shirts when they come out: the USAF epaulets don't quite fit on the standard Aviator Shirt.

I just hope the permanent "fore & aft" military creases they are talking about can be ironed out.

I'm looking to uniform dealers like Marlow White or Supertrooper to be the first to offer them.