Creased Wing Patches?

Started by Xeno, February 13, 2006, 04:09:46 PM

Xeno

I know we've discussed this on here before but I can't seem to dig up the thread for the life of me. The AF style Blues button-up shirt is to be creased centered on the epaulet, but is the Wing Patch itself supposed to be creased. I'm pretty sure it is not but I need be positive, my cadets are going to Wing Competition next week.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

capchiro

That sleeve crease sounds about 90 degrees off to me.  I have never heard of a shirt sleeve being pressed up the side.  I may be wrong, but I never wore a military shirt that had the shoulder patch creased when ironed and starched. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

As far as I can tell, there is no national standard with regard to creasing the shoulder patches.  Just looked at the Looking Sharp in CAP Uniforms powerpoint... And it just says "To crease or not to crease".

NCC ROE 5.4 appears silent on the matter also.

Check your wing supplement(s) to CAPM 39-1... Just make sure everyone on the team is uniform with patches creased or not creased.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: capchiro on February 13, 2006, 05:09:49 PM
That sleeve crease sounds about 90 degrees off to me.  I have never heard of a shirt sleeve being pressed up the side.  I may be wrong, but I never wore a military shirt that had the shoulder patch creased when ironed and starched. 

CAPM 39-1 Table 2-1. and 2-2. specify that the "Sleeve crease is centered on epaulet."

This is forward of the normal crease line which falls just aft of the epualet... And how the shirts come pressed when new... but thats the new CAPM 39-1 for ya.  >:( ::)
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

I don't crease. Wrecks the patch. Sewing a CAWG patch is not a trivial task.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chris Jacobs

I know that my Oregon wing patch is firmly creased.  Although i may be wrong.  If you aren't able to find it before the competition just make sure that every one on the team is uniform.  Uniformity is what killed my team two years ago, but then again the coordinator told us the wrong uniform.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: SarDragon on February 13, 2006, 08:00:06 PM
I don't crease. Wrecks the patch. Sewing a CAWG patch is not a trivial task.

Yeah, we're told (at least in my squadron) that it's required of all CAWG to crease the patch on blues.  We're even required to crease them on the BDU's, too, which IMO is a waste of time.  If I recall correctly, Military working uniforms don't have any creases in them.

shorning

Quote from: CALcadet144 on February 14, 2006, 03:39:04 AM
If I recall correctly, Military working uniforms don't have any creases in them.

Really?  I seem to recall a rather nice crease in my BDU sleeves.  Some of the Army dudes I work with also have creases in their BDU sleeves.  And there there are the Navy guys I work with.  They have military creases in their utilities.  Not quite sure I understand why, but they are there. 

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-12-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance. Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned.
Shoes are to be shined and in good repair. ...

Emphasis added.

Normally when a garment is pressed there will be creases in the shirt sleeves and the trousers.
Mike Johnston

Xeno

According the CAP Honor Guard Manual the shoulder patches are supposed to be creased. So we decided to take that and run with it. However, competition was potponed due to harsh weather... :-\
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

HGjunkie

Quote from: Xeno on February 20, 2006, 08:57:47 PM
According the CAP Honor Guard Manual the shoulder patches are supposed to be creased. So we decided to take that and run with it.
tsk tsk tsk... you're not an honor guard. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

This thread is 4 years old and we don't wear those patches anymore...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2010, 03:14:14 AM
This thread is 4 years old
True dat. 1593 days. Almost a new record. The current record appears to be 1785 days.

Quoteand we don't wear those patches anymore...
Maybe your "we" doesn't. My "we" does, although on uniforms that do not require sleeve creases..
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

No one's "we" wears them on blues anymore, which was the point of the OP in regards to HG.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

OK, didn't go back and reread the whole thread.

Now back to sleep.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Quote from: Xeno on February 13, 2006, 04:09:46 PM
I know we've discussed this on here before but I can't seem to dig up the thread for the life of me. The AF style Blues button-up shirt is to be creased centered on the epaulet, but is the Wing Patch itself supposed to be creased. I'm pretty sure it is not but I need be positive, my cadets are going to Wing Competition next week.

It can be creased....but what are you doing wearing a wing patch on an AF-Style blue uniform...that was axed a while ago.

HGjunkie

Quote from: flyboy1 on July 04, 2010, 12:12:31 PM
Quote from: Xeno on February 13, 2006, 04:09:46 PM

It can be creased....but what are you doing wearing a wing patch on an AF-Style blue uniform...that was axed a while ago.
You know how old this thread is, right?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2010, 03:52:23 AM

Now back to sleep.

Gotta keep an eye on you all the time Dave,  ;D

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2010, 05:24:27 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 04, 2010, 01:42:45 PM

You resurrected it!

Eclipse, I believe he was referring to flyboy1- who questioned the reason the OP was still wearing wing patches on blues. I do not believe HGjunkie was chewing anyone out for zombie-threading.

Of course, you may have been using invisible sarcasm bars while taking all of the above into account. ;D Just thought I'd make it clear anywho.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on July 04, 2010, 05:38:16 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2010, 05:24:27 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 04, 2010, 01:42:45 PM

You resurrected it!

Eclipse, I believe he was referring to flyboy1- who questioned the reason the OP was still wearing wing patches on blues. I do not believe HGjunkie was chewing anyone out for zombie-threading.

Of course, you may have been using invisible sarcasm bars while taking all of the above into account. ;D Just thought I'd make it clear anywho.
+2
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on July 04, 2010, 05:31:55 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2010, 03:52:23 AM

Now back to sleep.

Gotta keep an eye on you all the time Dave,  ;D

Go home and take some olde fart pills!  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret