WW2 CAP Service Ribbons

Started by wrpawson, November 18, 2007, 02:45:55 AM

wrpawson

I am still working on an article about Wynant C. Farr, the CAP officer who dropped the depth charge on the first German sub sunk by the Coastal Patrol in WW2.

I have located his unifrom, which is in custody of the NJ CAP historian. He informs me that the jacket has no ribbon rack attached.

I am trying to reconstruct Farr's ribbon entitlement for the article I am writing.

Can anyone provide (e-mail address below) nice clear pictures in 300 dpi resolution for inclusion in the artilce of:

WW2 Service Ribbon

War Service Ribbon (I am not certain this is redundant of one earned the ribbon above -- can anyone enlighten me?)

Coastal Patrol Ribbon

Tow-Target Ribbon

1000 Hour Service Ribbon

Duck Club badge (for ditching at sea)

Thanks for any help.

Chap. Bill Pawson
Canton OH               wrpawsoff(at)aol.com

SarDragon

There are pix of the plastic versions here: http://dafab.no-ip.info/CAPCode/AllRibbon.htm
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

There were 4 service ribbons for WWII

World War II Victory Medal-Anyone who served got it

American Campaign Medal. Anyone stationed within the Americas, North or South, including the Caribbean. Almost everyone got that one.

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal:  Service in Asia, the Pacific, Hawaii, or the Alaskan campaigns, including China, Burma,and India.

European Theatre Campaign Medal: Service in Europe Africa, and Western Asia From Greenland east to Iran.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BillB

I'll let CAPhistorian jump in here. But the only military (active duty) awards to CAP members was the Air Medal. The Victory medal and American Defense were never awarded to CAP. Other CAP ribbons worn were the 500 and 750 hour service ribbons. Without dragging out the history booklets, (for dates) the XX hour ribbons were replaced by the red white and blue service ribbons
Most all of the ribbons are CURRENTLY available on eBay
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=civil+patrol+air
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

wrpawson

Thanks so much for the website with the ribbons.

Can anyone direct me to a DUCK CLUB badge?

Thanks.

Chap. Bill Pawson

JohnKachenmeister

I don't know where one is on line, but I have a picture of one in some literature I have here at home.  The "Duck Club" badge was cloth, and pictured a sitting duck on water.  It was not an official badge, but was simply a novelty award that was given to pilots who had to ditch at sea, to take some the sting of losing their personal airplane away.

You might also look up the "Barracuda Bucket."  Mae West life jackets were in short supply, and the regular forces got them first.  Some CAP crews fashioned a large canvas bag to an inner tube.  The tube would float, and the downed pilot would put his legs into the canvas bag to protect him from predatory sea life forms.
Another former CAP officer

wrpawson

Dear John,

Perhaps you can scan the picture of the Duck Club patch from your resource (at 300 dpi) and email it to me -- along with reference data for the source. It would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Chap. Bill Pawson

JohnKachenmeister

Sorry, Chaplain, but my scanner isn't working right.  PM me with a fax number, and I can fax it to you. 
Another former CAP officer