White Aviator Shirt

Started by Ozzy, June 17, 2016, 02:46:46 PM

Ozzy

Hi All,

As there is no real 'uniform' white Aviator shirt, which brand do you choose? I would have loved to have been able to use the Army ASU white shirt but it has the military creases, it is not in compliance with 39-1. Do you know of any other aviator shirts that are similar to the weight of ASU shirt?

Thanks,
Ozzy
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

THRAWN

There are a bunch of threads on this topic. Hit up the search button and look for "aviator shirt"....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ozzy

Already have. If you search it yourself, you would see that 99% of the posts are 6+ years old.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

THRAWN

Quote from: Ozzy on June 17, 2016, 03:01:06 PM
Already have. If you search it yourself, you would see that 99% of the posts are 6+ years old.

And that matters? I'll answer: no, it does not.

Take your pick: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

In Ozzy's defense, most of the threads are pretty old or the search function doesn't always put the newest at the top.  It is reasonable to wonder if there is more current info.

I get mine here and have been very happy. 

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2452

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Ozzy

It does matter to me so yes, it does matter hence me creating a new post. If you read the second part of my question, you would see that I'm looking for a heavier version of the shirt, similar to the weight of the Army ASU shirt which the VH shirts seem to not be.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Spaceman3750

vento

If you want the shirt to look as close as possible to the AF Blue shirt, then go with this one instead, this one is based on the AF shirt. The other shirts that they sell has a triangular shaped pocket tab.
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2454

AF style

Civilian style

THRAWN

See if your local FBO or pilot shop stocks them. Then you're not webshopping...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

I have both, and prefer the square pocket type.

Papabird

Quote from: vento on June 17, 2016, 03:33:27 PM
If you want the shirt to look as close as possible to the AF Blue shirt, then go with this one instead, this one is based on the AF shirt. The other shirts that they sell has a triangular shaped pocket tab.

This is the part that always makes me nervous:  "Eyelets for name badge or wings above left pocket"

Because of these reinforced holes, I don't think this shirt fits the regulation, but I could be wrong.  Any thoughts?
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

vorteks

Quote from: Papabird on June 17, 2016, 04:00:52 PM

This is the part that always makes me nervous:  "Eyelets for name badge or wings above left pocket"

Because of these reinforced holes, I don't think this shirt fits the regulation, but I could be wrong.  Any thoughts?

All one has to do is to look at the reg:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
4.2.5.1. Shirt (Long and Short-sleeved). White cotton‐polyester blend aviator style shirt is
authorized. Shirt must be oxford, pinpoint, poplin, or broadcloth fabric with white buttons. Two standard
sewn flap pockets with no top openings and with or without pen slots. Pocket flap may have straight
bottom or curved bottom and be buttoned. Scalloped flap pockets are not authorized. Straight collars only,
no button downs. Two epaulet straps. No eyelets for badges. No military creases. Shirt will be tucked
neatly into trousers.

Ozzy

It doesn't. CAPM 39-1 4.2.5.1 states no eyelets for badges

Edit:

Which brand does Vanguard use? VH shirts look as though they are of a thinner material so if I can avoid those, I will.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

dwb

This is my aviator shirt: http://tandtuniforms.com/shop/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1230

Still a little baggier than the blues shirt, but not nearly as much of a poncho as the Van Heusen Aviator (the brand Vanguard sells).

Ozzy

Quote from: dwb on June 17, 2016, 04:56:26 PM
This is my aviator shirt: http://tandtuniforms.com/shop/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1230

Still a little baggier than the blues shirt, but not nearly as much of a poncho as the Van Heusen Aviator (the brand Vanguard sells).

I like it. Have you compared the two in terms of material? Fabric weight says 4oz. for VH and 4.5oz. for the one you posted.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Papabird

Quote from: varitec on June 17, 2016, 04:06:19 PM

4.2.5.1. Shirt (Long and Short-sleeved). White cotton‐polyester blend aviator style shirt is
authorized. Shirt must be oxford, pinpoint, poplin, or broadcloth fabric with white buttons. Two standard
sewn flap pockets with no top openings and with or without pen slots. Pocket flap may have straight
bottom or curved bottom and be buttoned. Scalloped flap pockets are not authorized. Straight collars only,
no button downs. Two epaulet straps. No eyelets for badges. No military creases. Shirt will be tucked
neatly into trousers.

That is why I brought it up.  I have seen people try to hide them behind ribbons.  So beware those eyelets. ;)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Майор Хаткевич

They are available without. Sometimes hard to find, but definitely out there.

vorteks

Quote from: Papabird on June 17, 2016, 05:27:31 PM
Quote from: varitec on June 17, 2016, 04:06:19 PM

neatly into trousers.

That is why I brought it up.  I have seen people try to hide them behind ribbons.  So beware those eyelets. ;)

Never thought of that. If the eyelets are hidden, why the deuce would it matter if they were there?

Eclipse

Quote from: Papabird on June 17, 2016, 05:27:31 PM

I had the pleasure of being an attendee at a major CAP activity where 1/3rd to 1/2 of the staff were wearing
security guard shirts w/ vertical badge holes and permanent vertical creases.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: Ozzy on June 17, 2016, 05:24:51 PMI like it. Have you compared the two in terms of material? Fabric weight says 4oz. for VH and 4.5oz. for the one you posted.
Both shirts are a little on the sheer side for my liking, but one is not noticeably so compared to the other. The cut of the Van Heusen is very generous, and I always felt like I was wearing a poncho tucked in to my pants.