Main Menu

RABU's?

Started by xray328, June 13, 2016, 10:33:11 PM

xray328

I ordered the kiddo a set and didn't realize how heavy the material is, almost like the winter weights.  I'm seeing a ripstop version some are referring to as the RABU (newest style), I'm assuming these would be ok as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray328

Tried editing the thread title, gives me an error?

RMW14

Yes the RABU or Ripstop ABU is the new hotness ( or coolness) compared to the original ABU's. It is a lighter weight material and is the same as the original ABU's except for the feeling of weight.

Disclaimer Alert!!!!  This comes from my better half, who is a E-5 in the Air National Guard in Supply and Logistics. She issues this stuff for work so I trust her when she says stuff.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Garibaldi

Not to add too much fuel to this already hot topic, but SUPPOSEDLY....SUPPOSEDLY...the ABUs we're getting from the Air Force (and this is 4th, 5th, and 8th hand information) are going to be the original, first gen winter weights that AAFES had sitting around their storerooms. When we'll get them, who knows. I don't know if the RABU will be given to us, depending on climate (I would think the heavier weights would be more useful up north, and the RABU would work better for us in the heat of the south and southwest. But that's just me).

This is not verifiable fact, but what I've gathered on the numerous threads on the subject.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Jester

They will be the heavy weight ones.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 13, 2016, 11:49:06 PMthe ABUs we're getting from the Air Force (and this is 4th, 5th, and 8th hand information) are going to be the original, first gen winter weights that AAFES had sitting around their storerooms.

I've head that from multiple sources as well, that's why they are available - they can't sell them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

OTOH, I doubt anyone is going to come up and feel the fabric of someone's ABUs to see if they're wearing the right ones either.

/lives in Michigan
//wears ripstop BDUs year round

Slim

lordmonar

They are both "right". 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirAux

IIRC, back in the day, our cadets were told not to wear the winter weight BDU's to encampment...

Storm Chaser

Unfortunately, for many cadets that's the only uniform they have. I've worn winter weight BDUs in the summer during field training. It's a bit hotter, but as long as you stay hydrated, it's manageable.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 15, 2016, 12:54:06 PM
Unfortunately, for many cadets that's the only uniform they have. I've worn winter weight BDUs in the summer during field training. It's a bit hotter, but as long as you stay hydrated, it's manageable.

My BBDUs are "winter", and I don't have any real issues in the summer.

winterg

I love everyone wearing BDU's  and ABU's named after me! Haha

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Garibaldi

Quote from: winterg on June 15, 2016, 02:57:14 PM

Your last name is weight?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

winterg

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 15, 2016, 06:10:46 PM
Quote from: winterg on June 15, 2016, 02:57:14 PM

Your last name is weight?
It could be. That's why we have the President's Challenge thread!