BBDU - Are these the correct Propper items?

Started by xray328, June 08, 2016, 06:18:04 PM

Eclipse

Looks fine to my eyes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Not 3 hours ago I ordered the following on BDU.com:

1   F520138405L2   Men's Propper Poly / Cotton Ripstop BDU Pants   Dark Navy, Large Regular   $29.99   $29.99
1   F545438405L2   Men's Propper Poly / Cotton Ripstop BDU Coats   Dark Navy, Large Regular   $29.99   $29.99

This was their image:

By the way, the image url has the following: http://assets.cat5.com/images/catalog/products/3/3/1/4/0-650-propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-bdu-coats-dark-navy.jpg?v=6923

Also used code FREESHIP to get free shipping, in case the other site has a charge.

arBar

I bought my BBDUs about 5 years ago, and at that time Propper had like 5 shades of Blue (Blue, Cobalt Blue, Navy Blue, Dark Navy Blue, and LAPD Navy Blue).  Vanguard would not tell me anything about the manufacturer of the one they sold.  I contacted Sue Parker @ NHQ who told me that the Propper Dark Navy Blue was fine.  The regs simply say dark blue.  I would stay away from LAPD Navy Blue as it is almost black, but that Propper Dark Navy Blue is, IMO, a very sharp uniform, and mine hasn't faded in 5 years.  I really like the BBDU, and I like the fact that with the change to ABUs we can now wear dark blue nametapes which IMO look nicer than the ultramarine.

Майор Хаткевич

This is why I'm holding off on getting the "bling" until the change over. Might as well set up the new set with the new standard.

xray328

Thanks guys.  Anyone found a source for the new tapes?

Is there a better corporate flight suit than the Vanguard variety?

Damron

Quote from: xray328 on June 08, 2016, 09:45:57 PM

I just bought some tapes from billings2049 on eBay and they are perfect. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Damron on June 09, 2016, 03:42:29 AM

Assuming they will be matching.

Damron

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 09, 2016, 04:57:25 AM
Quote from: Damron on June 09, 2016, 03:42:29 AM

Assuming they will be matching.

There's quite a bit of variation of tape color in the ranks due to the effects of age, wear, and laundering. We'll see the same variation with the new scheme, so lets not get too pedantic about it.   There's been quite a bit of variation from Vanguard over the years. Sometimes, batch to batch.

If they were really serious, they would have specified CMYK, RGB, or Pantone references. 

xray328

Just to clarify, the new nametapes for the ABU's are the same ones we'll be using for the BBDU's? Couldn't find a reference to that.

I've seen some folks with the ABU's but I still don't know the official source of the tapes.

Storm Chaser

Yes. The tapes will be available through Vanguard after 15 June 2016.

xray328

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray328

LSThiker

Quote from: Damron on June 09, 2016, 05:25:48 AM
There's quite a bit of variation of tape color in the ranks due to the effects of age, wear, and laundering. We'll see the same variation with the new scheme, so lets not get too pedantic about it.   There's been quite a bit of variation from Vanguard over the years. Sometimes, batch to batch.

If they were really serious, they would have specified CMYK, RGB, or Pantone references.

When the Army used BDUs, I had quite the variation in nametapes/branch tapes as well.  Some of my tapes were more olive than others and some more green than others depending on where I got them.  I think the ones that were more olive came from Fort Lewis (at CFI, they would create your tapes in 15 minutes), which also used a different letter font.  The more green came from Vanguard.  The more "normal" (the lack of a better term) came from AAFES.

As long as both the name and US Army relatively matched, not one person complained or noticed. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on June 09, 2016, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 09, 2016, 05:25:48 AM

When the Army used BDUs, I had quite the variation in nametapes/branch tapes as well.  Some of my tapes were more olive than others and some more green than others depending on where I got them.  I think the ones that were more olive came from Fort Lewis (at CFI, they would create your tapes in 15 minutes), which also used a different letter font.  The more green came from Vanguard.  The more "normal" (the lack of a better term) came from AAFES.

As long as both the name and US Army relatively matched, not one person complained or noticed.

I agree on the overall statements, and wish they clarified a standard as well. Not like I'll be hounding anyone wearing the ABUs with the tapes on 15 June (and I know at least 2 people who plan on it), but it is what it is.