Aviator shirt seems baggy - anyone else?

Started by xray328, September 17, 2015, 04:29:25 PM

xray328

I went ahead and picked up the white VH Aviator shirt, fits perfect in the neck, it's huge everywhere else. Anyone else finding that? I'm going to have to have some alterations done I guess but I just thought it would fit more like the AF Blues shirt? It also seems really thin and doesn't stay tucked in.

I was considering this instead?  Would that pass regs?

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/4646

AlphaSigOU

The VH 'Aviator' shirt is relaxed fit. Personally, I wear the shirts by Pilot House, which is offered in both tapered and relaxed fit. And the pocket design is identical to the AF blues shirt, takes starch real well and doesn't look as vaguely translucent as the poplin material of the VH Aviator.

Pilot House Tapered Fit: http://www.pilotshirts.com/PilotHouse-Tapered/products/9/
Pilot House Relaxed Fit: http://www.pilotshirts.com/PilotHouse-Relaxed-Fit/products/10/

The Corporate Gray uniform only specifies an 'aviator' style shirt - flap pockets and epaulets. Just so happens the VH shirt is available thru Vanguard (and other places a little cheaper) is called 'The Aviator'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

The original shirt available from the Bookstore was the VH Aviator, and may (or may not) have been actually specified in the reg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2015, 04:22:55 AM
The original shirt available from the Bookstore was the VH Aviator, and may (or may not) have been actually specified in the reg.

Still isn't specified in CAPM 39-1 other than the generic term 'aviator shirt'.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 18, 2015, 05:32:19 PM

Lighten up, Chuck. My comment was past tense, and expressed doubt. I have now had the opportunity to look at my olde 39-1s, and all I saw was "aviator", lower case. The Bookstore catalog was "Aviator", uppercase, and a VH brand name.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vorteks

Incorrect.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
4.2.5.1. Shirt (Long and Short-sleeved). White cotton-polyester blend aviator style shirt is authorized. ]Shirt must be oxford, pinpoint, poplin, or broadcloth fabric with white buttons. Two standard sewn flap pockets with no top openings and with or without pen slots. Pocket flap may have straight bottom or curved bottom and be buttoned. Scalloped flap pockets are not authorized. Straight collars only, no button downs. Two epaulet straps. No eyelets for badges. No military creases. Shirt will be tucked neatly into trousers.

jeders

Quote from: veritec on September 18, 2015, 06:58:22 PM

Incorrect.

4.2.5.1. Shirt (Long and Short-sleeved). White cotton-polyester blend aviator style shirt is authorized. ]Shirt must be oxford, pinpoint, poplin, or broadcloth fabric with white buttons. Two standard sewn flap pockets with no top openings and with or without pen slots. Pocket flap may have straight bottom or curved bottom and be buttoned. Scalloped flap pockets are not authorized. Straight collars only, no button downs. Two epaulet straps. No eyelets for badges. No military creases. Shirt will be tucked neatly into trousers.

FTFY. There's nothing in there that specifies brand or manufacturer, just the generic "aviator style" shirt.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

vorteks

Ah I see. No, it doesn't have to be the Van Heusen shirt, thank goodness. But it does have plenty of specifications beyond "generic aviation shirt."

SarDragon

Quote from: veritec on September 18, 2015, 06:58:22 PM

Incorrect.

Your quote of specification is correct, but please reread my post. An "Aviator" shirt is a VH brand name, and differs from their  "Pilot" and "Commander" brands ( http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/pilot_shirts/ ). All of the above, and other similar shirts from other makers, can be generically caller aviator shirts. Confusing, perhaps, but true.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2015, 05:44:41 PM

Lighten up, Chuck. My comment was past tense, and expressed doubt. I have now had the opportunity to look at my olde 39-1s, and all I saw was "aviator", lower case. The Bookstore catalog was "Aviator", uppercase, and a VH brand name.

That's what I get for posting at o-dark-thirty in the morning Marshall Islands time... No offense taken.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

kwe1009

Save yourself some money and don't buy anything from Vanguard unless it is CAP branded.  Aviator shirts, gray pants, BDUs, BBDUs, etc can be found cheaper just about anywhere else.  The VH Aviator shirt is less than $24 at Amazon for example.

THRAWN

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 19, 2015, 01:58:52 AM
Save yourself some money and don't buy anything from Vanguard unless it is CAP branded.  Aviator shirts, gray pants, BDUs, BBDUs, etc can be found cheaper just about anywhere else.  The VH Aviator shirt is less than $24 at Amazon for example.

Got mine for less than that at a local FBO. Your point is well taken. Shop dont just buy...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023