How do you handle cadets with improper uniforms?

Started by xray328, August 18, 2015, 09:49:17 PM

jdh

I have a cadet with what looks like a shaggy dog on his head. I tell him every week that he needs a haircut (right in front of his mother) and his response is always "this is just how my hair grows" to which I reply "then cut it". This conversation has happened every week for the last two months. I'm not on the cadet program side of things and the CP officers dont seem to care about it. There are a lot of hair issues and out of reg boots (suede hiking/work boots) but they are allowed to get away with it.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: jdh on August 29, 2015, 02:57:35 AM
I have a cadet with what looks like a shaggy dog on his head. I tell him every week that he needs a haircut (right in front of his mother) and his response is always "this is just how my hair grows" to which I reply "then cut it". This conversation has happened every week for the last two months. I'm not on the cadet program side of things and the CP officers dont seem to care about it. There are a lot of hair issues and out of reg boots (suede hiking/work boots) but they are allowed to get away with it.

What!!! The cadets don't fix it? Let me know what unit you're at and I'll fix that in a heartbeat!

Did you try bringing it up with the CDC/senior CP staff rep?

Eaker Guy

Possible CAPF 50? That way you can document the progress(lack thereof) so you have solid evidence.

RogueLeader

Send them home with a requirement to prepare a report on what the standards are and why they are important.  Do not let them in until they get a haircut to regulation.  Tell the squadron commander.  If that doesn't work, tell the CC that you'll be going up the chain if it isn't resolved.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jdh

There are a few problems that I have been seeing with the cadet side of this squadron and the excuse I am given every time I bring it up is that they have taken the teeth out of the regulations with the new "hazing guidelines". I have been told that the only real options are to refuse to let them participate and then boot them for failure to advance or just 2b them for failure to meet regulation. You are not allowed to single them out or make them feel bad. This is the same reason that I am told that I have to let cadets that dont meet the requirements (dont want to take the written test) to continue in the rocketry program. We dont have enough seniors to split them into two groups on meeting nights and we cant single them out and not let them participate. We have had an influx of seniors in the few months I have been here so I hope it changes soon.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: jdh on August 30, 2015, 12:12:19 AM
There are a few problems that I have been seeing with the cadet side of this squadron and the excuse I am given every time I bring it up is that they have taken the teeth out of the regulations with the new "hazing guidelines". I have been told that the only real options are to refuse to let them participate and then boot them for failure to advance or just 2b them for failure to meet regulation. You are not allowed to single them out or make them feel bad. This is the same reason that I am told that I have to let cadets that dont meet the requirements (dont want to take the written test) to continue in the rocketry program. We dont have enough seniors to split them into two groups on meeting nights and we cant single them out and not let them participate. We have had an influx of seniors in the few months I have been here so I hope it changes soon.

Okay, my logic is this. The cadets that know and don't meet(obviously) the guidelines are singling themselves out because of their refusal to correct the issue. Cadet comes in with a mohawk/super long hair and we're not allowed to take appropriate measures because we're singling him/her out????? RIGHT! That makes sense. I've always wondered why people that try to be blatantly different feel singled out.

Rougeleader has an idea there. Consider tailoring it for your needs.

As a C/CC, I freak out whenever a cadet comes in with an obvious uniform discrepancy. Cadet with tank top comes in on PT night! We fix it ASAP. If no fix available, we would probably give the cadet a warning. If it happened again, send him home with a note that he needs sleeves!

--C/Maj Kiss

SarDragon

That is related to Gunny Hartman style behaviour. Telling a cadet that he/she is not meeting the requirements of the program is not singling them out for the purpose of harassment, embarrassment, or punishment. Your senior leadership needs to grow some cojones.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on August 30, 2015, 03:04:02 AM
That is related to Gunny Hartman style behaviour. Telling a cadet that he/she is not meeting the requirements of the program is not singling them out for the purpose of harassment, embarrassment, or punishment. Your senior leadership needs to grow some cojones.

That is wacky.  You've gotta follow and establish the standards as well. 

We had a mission fairly recently.  We gathered everyone.  We said which cadets (and visitors) had to stay, assigned SMs to them, gave them stuff to do, and sent them to work on their projects while the rest of us went on the mission.  Under that kind of approach, we'd have to take new, unqualified cadets and non-members on a mission, against regulations.  No, no, no.  We gave them the positive message that they would need to do certain things to get qualified, and who to ask if they needed help.  They weren't singled out in a hazing-type way.

If a cadet shows up with their insignia attached incorrectly, a belt too long, etc, we mention it to the cadet and assign a cadet to help them.  If their GT gear isn't secure, we can take their pack and make it a positive learning experience for new people.  They aren't singled out in a bad way.  They aren't getting shouted at.  Nobody does pushups.  No CPP issue. 

Spam

My specific examples (just like at TLC):

- Leaving several encampments, I've observed new graduates on occasion at the nearest burger joint starting to enter in BDUs with shower shoes, or blues with no cover. While we all get it - they are finally released from a week of discipline - I have stopped to approach them in front of their parents to identify myself and quietly ask that they be all the way in, or all the way out, of uniform, in order to honor that uniform and show public respect thereby to those before us who died wearing it. I point out that the aspect of discipline now has shifted to SELF discipline, and the ball is in their court. Usually the initial reaction is a pained expression, but phrased that way, without pushing my rank or threatening to take names and report people, it works well, especially if the parents are listening. I usually suggest that they take advantage of the restaurant restroom to change.

- Four years ago, a 17 year old C/MSGT, inactive for five months, breezes back into my command in badly wrinkled, dirty blues with long hair, grinning at me in opening formation. (Note: know that adolescents, by their very nature, test limits and this guy acknowledged that he knew he was badly out of standards).  I asked him if he drove himself (yes), verified that he had cash, and had him call his folks and tell them that he was being told to drive a mile down the road to get a regulation haircut. He came back in an hour with a good haircut, but that was the last we ever saw of him. On one hand, this dilettante of a cadet quit, but on the other hand, it sent a powerful message to the rest of the corps that we demand adherence to standards to honor that uniform.

- Twenty years ago, at 0600L, I denied a cadet permission to board the unit vehicle to travel to Encampment due to his failure to obey a direct order to correct his shave and grooming prior to the event. His parents knew our standards ahead of time, and accepted that they needed to get him a dawn haircut and shave and drive him up themselves later that day. He went on to earn his Earhart (believe he made Spaatz, but not sure, I moved).

- A 16 year old C/2LT, GTM3/2/1 qualified, CAC rep presents at his promotion board in Class A blues which are perfect but with hair over his ears. We complete the promotion board, and I counsel him that his promotion is approved in all respects other than in his grooming. Accordingly, I tell him, he is denied this week and is required to report to me the next meeting within standards. The next week not only does he show up with a high and tight, his entire Flight shows up with outstanding haircuts, as the convert spreads the message.

- Three weeks ago my new 17 year old C/CC presented at opening formation with a hairy chin. I directed him (quietly, with only his deputy in earshot) to remove himself from formation and go below decks to my inbox, where I keep a bag of disposable razors, and to use the men's room hot water and soap to get that chin smooth as a Dutch babys rear.  Last week, he smiled and acknowledged that he'd bought his own bag of razors, and had privately grabbed a couple of other older cadets prior to opening and had them freshen up.  Lessons learned: praise in public, correct in private, adhere to standards, and finally, "attitudes are contagious - both positively and negatively".

- I encourage my cadets to cross inspect ME during inspection, and to respectfully suggest what might be out of order on my uniform (e.g. hint hint; missing flag patch on one set of BDUs, or loose cables on another, or a gig line off center...). I expect quiet, friendly, helpful correction to standards, and want them to get practice in giving such feedback without power tripping and turning into a Gunny Hartman.  I accept that I have imperfections as well, and need the message to go out that "none of us are righteous, no not one", and we need to show the core value of Respect by supporting each other in this manner.

My summary:

Do not hesitate to deny a promotion. Don't hesitate to deny participation in an activity. Do counsel privately if possible. Do your best to set a good example yourself, and acknowledge your own failings. Be humane and understanding, but balance that practicality with a refusal to let people treat a USAF style uniform as tantamount to a mere costume. Do remember to give POSTIVE praise and reinforcement whenever possible, as that is a nurturing behavior that, when withheld from their more "marginal" peers, can act as a strong social pressure for your troops to become more - uniform.  Uniforms, properly viewed, are yet another leadership tool to assist you in influencing and directing a group of people in a way that will win their obedience, confidence, respect, and loyal cooperation in achieving a common objective or goal.

V/R,
Spam

foo

Quote from: Spam on August 30, 2015, 06:43:15 AM

- Leaving several encampments, I've observed new graduates on occasion at the nearest burger joint starting to enter in BDUs with shower shoes, or blues with no cover. While we all get it - they are finally released from a week of discipline - I have stopped to approach them in front of their parents to identify myself and quietly ask that they be all the way in, or all the way out, of uniform, in order to honor that uniform and show public respect thereby to those before us who died wearing it. I point out that the aspect of discipline now has shifted to SELF discipline, and the ball is in their court. Usually the initial reaction is a pained expression, but phrased that way, without pushing my rank or threatening to take names and report people, it works well, especially if the parents are listening. I usually suggest that they take advantage of the restaurant restroom to change.

- Four years ago, a 17 year old C/MSGT, inactive for five months, breezes back into my command in badly wrinkled, dirty blues with long hair, grinning at me in opening formation. (Note: know that adolescents, by their very nature, test limits and this guy acknowledged that he knew he was badly out of standards).  I asked him if he drove himself (yes), verified that he had cash, and had him call his folks and tell them that he was being told to drive a mile down the road to get a regulation haircut. He came back in an hour with a good haircut, but that was the last we ever saw of him. On one hand, this dilettante of a cadet quit, but on the other hand, it sent a powerful message to the rest of the corps that we demand adherence to standards to honor that uniform.

- Twenty years ago, at 0600L, I denied a cadet permission to board the unit vehicle to travel to Encampment due to his failure to obey a direct order to correct his shave and grooming prior to the event. His parents knew our standards ahead of time, and accepted that they needed to get him a dawn haircut and shave and drive him up themselves later that day. He went on to earn his Earhart (believe he made Spaatz, but not sure, I moved).

- A 16 year old C/2LT, GTM3/2/1 qualified, CAC rep presents at his promotion board in Class A blues which are perfect but with hair over his ears. We complete the promotion board, and I counsel him that his promotion is approved in all respects other than in his grooming. Accordingly, I tell him, he is denied this week and is required to report to me the next meeting within standards. The next week not only does he show up with a high and tight, his entire Flight shows up with outstanding haircuts, as the convert spreads the message.

- Three weeks ago my new 17 year old C/CC presented at opening formation with a hairy chin. I directed him (quietly, with only his deputy in earshot) to remove himself from formation and go below decks to my inbox, where I keep a bag of disposable razors, and to use the men's room hot water and soap to get that chin smooth as a Dutch babys rear.  Last week, he smiled and acknowledged that he'd bought his own bag of razors, and had privately grabbed a couple of other older cadets prior to opening and had them freshen up.  Lessons learned: praise in public, correct in private, adhere to standards, and finally, "attitudes are contagious - both positively and negatively".

- I encourage my cadets to cross inspect ME during inspection, and to respectfully suggest what might be out of order on my uniform (e.g. hint hint; missing flag patch on one set of BDUs, or loose cables on another, or a gig line off center...). I expect quiet, friendly, helpful correction to standards, and want them to get practice in giving such feedback without power tripping and turning into a Gunny Hartman.  I accept that I have imperfections as well, and need the message to go out that "none of us are righteous, no not one", and we need to show the core value of Respect by supporting each other in this manner.

My summary:

Do not hesitate to deny a promotion. Don't hesitate to deny participation in an activity. Do counsel privately if possible. Do your best to set a good example yourself, and acknowledge your own failings. Be humane and understanding, but balance that practicality with a refusal to let people treat a USAF style uniform as tantamount to a mere costume. Do remember to give POSTIVE praise and reinforcement whenever possible, as that is a nurturing behavior that, when withheld from their more "marginal" peers, can act as a strong social pressure for your troops to become more - uniform.  Uniforms, properly viewed, are yet another leadership tool to assist you in influencing and directing a group of people in a way that will win their obedience, confidence, respect, and loyal cooperation in achieving a common objective or goal.

V/R,
Spam

:clap:

TheSkyHornet

We've gone so far with this anti-hazing stuff that we have such a hard time enforcing the regs. It really does come down to basically not allowing them to renew their membership or transferring them to another unit. I'm not where near that point yet, so I'm not advocating that. My point is that every time I bring up getting a haircut, it turns into a non-enforceable joke.

I finally pulled my C/CC aside and said "I don't want to embarrass you at all, but if I may ask, have you started shaving? I know you're 15, and you're at that age. It's an awkward thing to ask, but you're getting these unsightly black hairs extending from your chin, and I'm going to make the call and say you're out of regs. I've seen some of the other cadets show up like this as well. You just addressed haircuts while performing uniform inspections. Start addressing the shaving requirements. You're in charge, meaning you need to present yourself as wearing that uniform perfectly." (paraphrasing)

Telling a cadet that he/she is not meeting the requirements of the program is not singling them out for the purpose of harassment, embarrassment, or punishment. Your senior leadership needs to grow some cojones.

Unfortunately, this is what we've done to society now. We're babying these kids and not holding them accountable for a lack of professionalism. It comes with wearing the uniform. If you don't want to meet the standards, don't wear the uniform. I addressed this with all of my NCOs yesterday, and told them that they need to start acting like leaders, which includes appearance. I even through in some Total Force on them as an incentive. "If you guys want to wear a uniform and look like little kids, go join the Boy Scouts. If you want to put on a service uniform and present yourself as a component of the Air Force, ready to go out and perform real live-saving missions, then you need to start figuring out what is going to motivate you to behave as such."

QuoteFour years ago, a 17 year old C/MSGT, inactive for five months, breezes back into my command in badly wrinkled, dirty blues with long hair, grinning at me in opening formation. (Note: know that adolescents, by their very nature, test limits and this guy acknowledged that he knew he was badly out of standards). 

I've had that situation far too much. If one thing really sets me off, it's intentionally trying to set me off. I've made it a habit of watching when someone does it with the C/CC or First Sergeant, and I've pulled them aside and told them to get back in front of their subordinates and address the entire unit about respecting their superiors, and that I expect to observe a lesson on responding to orders and maintaining their bearing in formation. Fall them out, fall them back in. If it's not right, do it again. Again....again.....again. "Everybody having fun? The day goes by much better when you aren't screwing around, doesn't it?" I've pulled my NCOs aside when I see them catch the issue and address it immediately, and I praise them for stepping up and taking responsibility for their elements.

Leading by example is a huge part of it.

A major issue these days is that we have people in leadership positions who are so afraid of enforcing policies and getting that phone call later on with "I don't like you telling my kid....blah blah blah."

Look, either your kid wears the uniform properly, or he/she can start skipping meetings until their membership expires.

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Spam on August 30, 2015, 06:43:15 AM

My summary:

V/R,
Spam

Jaison009

I was a cadet from 96-04. We did a uniform inspection with a uniform gauge (nearly all of our cadets including myself were also Army JROTC so we knew the drill) with demerits every Monday night that went very much the same. I will not lie and say I wasn't anal about shined boots and uniforms. Our entire cadet staff was and there were many times things came off of a uniform. The spyderco worked particularly well for cutting patches off. Not saying its right but that is how many of us grew up in the cadet program and learned personal initiative. I learned to iron and somewhat sew as a result of this. My dad was Army and he didn't take my CAP or JROTC uniforms to the cleaners, I did them by hand or it was my job to take them. My boots looked like glass because we were the example for other cadets. Yes the number of hours spent on them was ridiculous; however, it taught me a lot about taking time and doing something right. I could spit shine them and see myself or I could use cheater polish or melt the polish and ruin them forever. We also did a promotion board for every grade with formal reporting and the works. We made little stuff a big deal and it made us better cadets for it.

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on August 27, 2015, 07:51:47 PM
Seam ripper = small knife used to separate a seam without damaging the cloth. It quickly removes the patch without damaging the uniform.

Usually if it was a crooked pin, he would remove it and hand it to a cadet, and have them correct it in the mirror after inspection. A crooked patch would be removed, and the cadet would be told to put it in their pocket and sew it back on over the next week.

As a young cadet, I didn't see anything wrong with it, but now as a senior I obviously see why it would be frowned upon. The positive side though, most cadets took better care to get it right before inspection.

When I became C/CC, my inspections were just as tough, but lacked the seam ripper. If the patch was horribly wrong though, I would usually ask the Cadet to remove it, and we would pin it in place correctly before they left, so they knew where it needed to be sewn.

Agreed only one person needs to be telling a Cadet where to obtain their new uniform parts, what to get, and how to assemble them, and that person needs to be well informed. The worst thing is to tell a Cadet something that isn't authorized and have them spend money on it, plus time putting it on a uniform, only to be told at inspection it is wrong.

jdh

Quote from: Jaison009 on September 18, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
I was a cadet from 96-04. We did a uniform inspection with a uniform gauge (nearly all of our cadets including myself were also Army JROTC so we knew the drill) with demerits every Monday night that went very much the same. I will not lie and say I wasn't anal about shined boots and uniforms. Our entire cadet staff was and there were many times things came off of a uniform. The spyderco worked particularly well for cutting patches off. Not saying its right but that is how many of us grew up in the cadet program and learned personal initiative. I learned to iron and somewhat sew as a result of this. My dad was Army and he didn't take my CAP or JROTC uniforms to the cleaners, I did them by hand or it was my job to take them. My boots looked like glass because we were the example for other cadets. Yes the number of hours spent on them was ridiculous; however, it taught me a lot about taking time and doing something right. I could spit shine them and see myself or I could use cheater polish or melt the polish and ruin them forever. We also did a promotion board for every grade with formal reporting and the works. We made little stuff a big deal and it made us better cadets for it.

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on August 27, 2015, 07:51:47 PM
Seam ripper = small knife used to separate a seam without damaging the cloth. It quickly removes the patch without damaging the uniform.

Usually if it was a crooked pin, he would remove it and hand it to a cadet, and have them correct it in the mirror after inspection. A crooked patch would be removed, and the cadet would be told to put it in their pocket and sew it back on over the next week.

As a young cadet, I didn't see anything wrong with it, but now as a senior I obviously see why it would be frowned upon. The positive side though, most cadets took better care to get it right before inspection.

When I became C/CC, my inspections were just as tough, but lacked the seam ripper. If the patch was horribly wrong though, I would usually ask the Cadet to remove it, and we would pin it in place correctly before they left, so they knew where it needed to be sewn.

Agreed only one person needs to be telling a Cadet where to obtain their new uniform parts, what to get, and how to assemble them, and that person needs to be well informed. The worst thing is to tell a Cadet something that isn't authorized and have them spend money on it, plus time putting it on a uniform, only to be told at inspection it is wrong.

That's how my experience as a cadet was, both CAP and JROTC. We were held to the standard and we held the cadets under us to the same.

UPDATE: I have had a few cadets (the older and more mature ones) that have seen what I'm trying to get across to them and are trying their hardest to learn the right way of doing things, which is great. Even though I'm not on the cadet side of the squadron primally there are a group of cadets that have been working closely with me on ES that are starting to ask a lot of questions on how to improve as cadets as a whole.  The new CDC has little experience with a lot of what goes on and is looking to me for some guidance and is willing to learn how to do it right. Now that we have more seniors in the squadron and can have someone babysit the cadets that aren't up to snuff we are starting to leave them out of activities that they didn't do the required work to be able to participate in, which I do feel is helping those that are working hard and will hopefully motivate the others to work harder so that they aren't sitting on the outside watching everyone else have fun.