Blues shirt too wide/baggy

Started by xray328, July 15, 2015, 02:03:43 AM

xray328

Son got his blues shirt today, it's a little loose in the neck so I need to exchange it but it's just overall wide/baggy on him. Anyone else have this problem? I'm gonna have to get him one off eBay, not enough time to exchange it before encampment. Are they generally the same size as USAF shirts? Thanks!

Spam

Suggestions:

I recommend not worrying too much about this; growing teens will fill out their shirts. It should become really apparent if your unit, like ours, only wears blues once a month. Get a sharp cadet NCO at your unit to teach him how to do a military tuck, asap, and just wear the thing as is for now. It is hard to tell how loose in the neck it is (since he is holding the phone in front of himself!!!) but really it isn't bad.  If you can score a set of shirt garters that will help him look outstanding as well (shirt garters pull the shirt tails down). I personally never bothered with them, WIWAC.

After encampment (or before depending on your degree of anxiety), take it and have it tailored if it really is far looser than you'd like.

V/R,
Spam

SarDragon

IMHO, the shirt is way too big. The sleeves are too long, and the shoulder seams hang too far off the shoulder. The neck looks too big, too. Tailoring will likely cost as much as a new shirt.

Was he properly measured? Shirts go by neck size, and as I said above, it looks too big.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Shirt is at least two sizes too big.

xray328

My thoughts too. He normally wears a 16, website said fits smaller than civilian sizing so we went with a 16 1/2. Back to Vanguard it goes., thanks.

kwe1009

Give eBay a shot, it will likely be a whole lot cheaper too. 

SarDragon

Quote from: xray328 on July 15, 2015, 03:47:17 PM
My thoughts too. He normally wears a 16, website said fits smaller than civilian sizing so we went with a 16 1/2. Back to Vanguard it goes., thanks.

How old and how tall is he? A 16 sounds too big, based on the pic. I didn't start wearing a 16 until I was in my 30s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/Cool

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2015, 07:38:56 PM

How old and how tall is he? A 16 sounds too big, based on the pic. I didn't start wearing a 16 until I was in my 30s.

I'm 6'3" and 170 and wear a 16 1/2.  I have several blues shirts all the same size but they are all different. Some of them fit me too tight and some of them are kind of loose. I don't know if he got one of the big kind... If that even makes sense.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

SarDragon

Quote from: C/Cool on July 15, 2015, 07:47:49 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2015, 07:38:56 PM

I'm 6'3" and 170 and wear a 16 1/2.  I have several blues shirts all the same size but they are all different. Some of them fit me too tight and some of them are kind of loose. I don't know if he got one of the big kind... If that even makes sense.
It makes perfect sense.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

xray328

He wears a 15 1/2- 16 normally at 5'11" 158lbs. The website said they fit smaller than civilians hence the 16 1/2. eBay 15 1/2 for $10 is on the way, thanks.

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on July 15, 2015, 08:05:08 PM
He wears a 15 1/2- 16 normally at 5'11" 158lbs. The website said they fit smaller than civilians hence the 16 1/2. eBay 15 1/2 for $10 is on the way, thanks.

You might want to try a 15 too.

sarmed1

it has been my experience that USAF Blues uniforms are one size fits no one.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Mitchell 1969

If that's a 16, then a 15 1/2 will do two things:

1) Serve today's need.

2) Allow him some room to grow into it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

Glad I'm finally done growing, well, aside from being excessively short in height.

But I always get a chuckle at seeing the smaller, overly skinny cadets who you know will, some day, grow up and actually fit into their clothes. At the same time, I can't help but feel pity for the parents paying for constant clothing size increases  :P