Can we still order from AAFES?

Started by xray328, June 25, 2015, 04:23:18 AM

xray328

With the new voucher system, are we still allowed to order uniform items directly from AAFES?  I'm having a hard time paying $50 for a $12 shirt.  Does CAP want us ordering directly from Vanguard?  Why are they so overpriced?

Thanks!

lordmonar

Yes and no.

We are still authorized to order from AAFES but they no longer take orders over the phone and we can't get to the online system.

So it is a Catch-22 sort of situation.

And please note....you are not paying $50 for a $12 shirt.  You are paying $47.50 for a $41.95 shirt.   Vanguard is not allowed to sell the DLATS shirt ($13.77).

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eaker Guy

Quote from: xray328 on June 25, 2015, 04:23:18 AM
With the new voucher system, are we still allowed to order uniform items directly from AAFES?  I'm having a hard time paying $50 for a $12 shirt.  Does CAP want us ordering directly from Vanguard?  Why are they so overpriced?

Thanks!

From what I've experienced, CAP does want us ordering from Vanguard. Here is an interesting thread on the topic. I'll try to dig up more.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=654.0

MSG Mac

Thanks!

The Free Cadet Uniform Program for Cadets is gone, but CAP can still purchase items from  AFEES.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

xray328

Seems like they've made it too difficult a process though. You'd almost have to know someone to get you on base, assuming a base is close.

MSG Mac

Depends on the base and the Base Commander. I know Andrews AFB has no problem with CAP coming on. Doesn't hurt to call ahead to the Base Security Police and ask the policy for admittance.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 25, 2015, 06:30:49 PM
Depends on the base and the Base Commander.

And the Security Forces Commander. Mountain Home AFB SF commander for some reason HATED CAP, and made it pretty hard to get on base. It took some high level brass to get him to allow us on with no issues.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: lordmonar on June 25, 2015, 04:38:05 AM
Yes and no.

We are still authorized to order from AAFES but they no longer take orders over the phone and we can't get to the online system.

So it is a Catch-22 sort of situation.

And please note....you are not paying $50 for a $12 shirt.  You are paying $47.50 for a $41.95 shirt.   Vanguard is not allowed to sell the DLATS shirt ($13.77).

The main reasoning why Vanguard can't sell the cheaper issue DLATS uniform items is because those uniforms are made by UNICOR (Federal Prison Industries). UNICOR can only sell items to Federal government entities, not to private resellers.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

abdsp51

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on June 25, 2015, 06:37:09 PM

And the Security Forces Commander. Mountain Home AFB SF commander for some reason HATED CAP, and made it pretty hard to get on base. It took some high level brass to get him to allow us on with no issues.

Not his/her call.  There's more to this.   

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 25, 2015, 10:54:02 PM

That is true but we didn't know that at the time. And yes, there is a plenty to the story.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

abdsp51

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on June 25, 2015, 11:59:27 PM

That is true but we didn't know that at the time. And yes, there is a plenty to the story.

I'm sure there is and I am sure that the org is not not an innocent victim.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 26, 2015, 12:44:49 AM

My mind is boggled. You're SURE?

I can see buying into certainty that there is more to the story, as it's too simple and vague as given. But being SURE as to the cause, in advance of hearing the "more?"

Boggled, I tell ya. Boggled.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

abdsp51

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 26, 2015, 12:56:41 AM

I can see buying into certainty that there is more to the story, as it's too simple and vague as given. But being SURE as to the cause, in advance of hearing the "more?"

Two sides to everything as you know and somewhere in between is the truth.  I highly highly doubt that its the case of the SFS CC just not liking CAP.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 26, 2015, 01:09:48 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 26, 2015, 12:56:41 AM

Two sides to everything as you know and somewhere in between is the truth.  I highly highly doubt that its the case of the SFS CC just not liking CAP.

From "sure" to "highly doubt" in less than 30 minutes still keeps me at boggled. In fact, even more boggled.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

stitchmom

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 25, 2015, 01:57:12 PM

Thanks!

The Free Cadet Uniform Program for Cadets is gone, but CAP can still purchase items from  AFEES.

Isn't there something where they get a blue uniform after they receive their first promotion?

MSG Mac

The new Cadet Uinform Policy is that any Cadet who joined after 1 May will get a $100 Vanguard voucher to purchase the basic blue uniform. This kicks in as soon as he/she completes the Curry Achievement.for more details check the National Cadet Programs page or the CAP members page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

stitchmom

It's under a different name but they still get the shirt and pants at no cost to them right? It's a little over $100 to order both from Vanguard.

MSG Mac

Yes, don't know VG's prices. I think you can use the VG discount code if ordering over the niter net.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

Quote from: stitchmom on June 26, 2015, 11:12:49 AM
It's under a different name but they still get the shirt and pants at no cost to them right? It's a little over $100 to order both from Vanguard.

I have seen some price comparisons that show the price on Vanguard is about $140 for what the cadets used to get for free from AAFES.  So unless the squadron has uniform items to give to the cadet, there will be an additional out of pocket expense to get a cadet fully dressed.

While I don't like it, the uniforms come much faster (days instead of months) and it is still cheaper than Boy Scouts by a long shot.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stitchmom

Maybe it's one of those YMMV type of things!  I've found CAP to be a lot more expensive and we were kindly given a ton of stuff like uniforms.

kwe1009

Quote from: stitchmom on June 26, 2015, 03:28:41 PM
Maybe it's one of those YMMV type of things!  I've found CAP to be a lot more expensive and we were kindly given a ton of stuff like uniforms.

A complete Boy Scout uniform runs over $160 (not including shoes and tons of sewing).  Annual dues depends on your location but in my area seem to be $100 and up.  Summer camps start around $250 and go up from there.  First year cost: at least $510

In my wing annual dues for cadet is $40 and encampment is $170.  The required uniform used to be free but with the Curry voucher it is now mostly free.  BDUs can be found for $50/set and up.  First year cost: about $330 (plus shoes/boots).

If you are talking about the costs to participate in ES or an NCSA, that really doesn't count since that is purely optional.  I spent over $1500 just to send my son to Jamboree.  That was basically a campout so you can't compare that to a flight NCSA where the cadet learns how to be a pilot.

stitchmom

I didn't know there was more to the uniform than the Class A Shirt.  He was kindly given a Class A shirt, a t-shirt with a logo, and a book. He wears either shirt with jeans and sneakers.

Our summer camp is about the same but the camp has scholarships up 1/2 and our troop offers scholarships too for the community service they do. They do a fundraiser in the fall.

I bought a sleeping bag at the thrift store for $8 and it cost me $5 to wash and dry it.

For summer camp the only thing I had to purchase was the usual outdoor toiletries and a folding camp chair $12 at the drug store.

They go on weekend camping trips and there is usually a $10 or $15 food expense.

I need to buy a bag for his sleeping bag.

The biggest expense in scouts has been taking the sleeping bag, pillows, and weekend clothing to the laundromat trying to get that "cabin scent" out of them.  :-[ 

For CAP
Dues are about the same as scouts

We were kindly given the uniforms and  a scholarship for encampment.

For encampment I had to purchase
18 specific color/style t shirts ($60)
black exercise shorts ($15)
8 pairs of black socks ($15 - had to buy two 6 packs)
dress socks ($6)
alteration + ironing ($18)
moleskins ($5)
dark colored blanket ($5)
leather gloves ($10)
It would be even higher if I bought the uniform dress shoes.
usual outdoor toiletries

Not counting the gas to and from and items I bought incorrectly that were washed before I knew.   :-[  Definite learning curve there!

Wow huge expense but that is awesome your scout went to Jamboree.  8)

kwe1009

Unfortunately it rained the entire time he was there but he still had a good time.  If the troop is following BSA rules, then your scout must be in full uniform (including BSA socks and pants) when he meets a Board of Review for rank advancement. 

SAREXinNY

I went to the 1997 Jamboree...and I still remember it.  I'm sure my parents weren't thrilled with the cost, but it was an experience I will never forget.  I earned my Eagle Scout, and that is obviously something I'm very proud of.  Honestly though, I feel CAP offers a lot more to young people than boy scouting does (just a personal opinion, having been involved with both).  I just wish the public and employers were as familiar with "Mitchell" or "Spaatz" as they were with "Eagle Scout."  It's something I still have on my resume twenty years later...

But I digress....AAFES...