Main Menu

NCO Stripes

Started by winterg, April 04, 2015, 05:22:36 AM

Slim

Slim

lordmonar

That one is kind of old....(CAP Cutouts, Flag, Wing Patch)

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: lordmonar on May 08, 2015, 03:59:51 AM

They look a LOT better than I thought they would.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

THRAWN

They look good. I'm sure they look really good on the BBDU.

That CAP in the middle though....I looked at it without glasses, and it sure looks like a first sergeant diamond....That splash of color with a red triprop would be a lot more distinctive.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

Thrawn-

Shhhh!

NHQ may take notice!!!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

USAFRiggerGuy

Looks good, thank you for taking the time to post!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

Storm Chaser

The chevron insignias definitely look a lot better than many anticipated. If we could only change all our insignias to a dark blue background. I think most of us would gladly go through the expense of replacing our tapes and badges for something that would look much better on both BDUs and BBDUs.

winterg

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 09, 2015, 06:43:40 PM
The chevron insignias definitely look a lot better than many anticipated. If we could only change all our insignias to a dark blue background. I think most of us would gladly go through the expense of replacing our tapes and badges for something that would look much better on both BDUs and BBDUs.

In a heartbeat.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: THRAWN on May 08, 2015, 10:09:44 AM
That CAP in the middle though....I looked at it without glasses, and it sure looks like a first sergeant diamond...

Speaking of, why not authorize the position of First Sergeant for the group and squadron levels? MSgt Harris stated that there was disagreement on what to call the primary NCO position at the unit level. I think that would solve the problem.

lordmonar

Issue 1.  USAF does not have First Sergeants at the Group levels.
Issue 2.  The USAF had issues with CAP using the diamond and stars.....and by extension the title "First Sergeant".

As of the last meeting IIRC we are calling the squadron level position "Squadron NCO".
The group level position is the one one where there is still discussion......we wanted "Group Superintendent" there is push back from on high on that (I don't know if it was CAP-USAF or CAP that was pushing back).
Wing and Region....are the Wing and Region Command Chief
I don't remember what we decided to call the CAP NHQ level....I think it was National Command Chief....but I could be wrong.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on May 09, 2015, 09:20:54 PM
Issue 2.  The USAF had issues with CAP using the diamond and stars.....and by extension the title "First Sergeant".

As of the last meeting IIRC we are calling the squadron level position "Squadron NCO".
The group level position is the one one where there is still discussion......we wanted "Group Superintendent" there is push back from on high on that (I don't know if it was CAP-USAF or CAP that was pushing back).
I don't remember what we decided to call the CAP NHQ level....I think it was National Command Chief....but I could be wrong.

Squadron NCO is way too generic to be a position. We could have First Sergeants at the squadron level and Superintendents at the group level. We don't need the diamond to have the 1st Sgt position, just like we don't need the star to have the Command Chief position. Why would the Air Force be fine with Command Chief, but not with First Sergeant?

The fact that CAP (or CAP-USAF) can't agree over titles used in the Air Force is ridiculous. We have no problems calling CAP officers "Commander", so why would we have a problem calling CAP SNCOs "First Sergeant" or "Superintendent"?

THRAWN

So to be clear: CAP is performing this NCO experiment to be more like USAF......USAF does not want CAP to be like it. Making up official soundng titles is great. Putting people in those positions is great. Having some codified idea of just what those people are doing there would be even better. I realize its being worked on, but it truly is a perfect example of the proverbial cart before the proverbial donkey....

Probably a big part of the problem would be obtaining the training associated with the title. You dont just become a first sergeant overnight...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

ZigZag911

We could follow the British army on this; they have "Company Sergeant Majors"... CAP could have Squadron/Group Sergeant Major positions...might aggravate US Army & USMC, but shouldn't bother USAF, they don't use the title!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 10, 2015, 01:46:22 AM
We could follow the British army on this; they have "Company Sergeant Majors"... CAP could have Squadron/Group Sergeant Major positions...might aggravate US Army & USMC, but shouldn't bother USAF, they don't use the title!

Noooooo.....come on now, you KNOW what would happen....

"You can't use those titles. They aren't Air Force enough for you. But you can't use our titles- they are too Air Force for us  to let you use them."

Stand by for "Squadron Stripe Wearer," "Group Chevron Bearer" and "Wing Chevron Striper."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

FW

I keep running out of popcorn.  Should I make more?   >:D

MHC5096

Actually the Air Force does have First Sergeants at both the Group and Squadron levels.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

PHall

Quote from: MHC5096 on May 10, 2015, 01:11:46 PM

Actually the Air Force does have First Sergeants at both the Group and Squadron levels.

Cite please on the First Sergeant assigned to a Group in the Air Force.  Did 31-1/2 years, never saw one.

arajca

Quote from: FW on May 10, 2015, 12:55:17 PM
Yes please. One or two truck loads should be enough.  ;D

PHall

Quote from: arajca on May 10, 2015, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: FW on May 10, 2015, 12:55:17 PM
Yes please. One or two truck loads should be enough.  ;D

Regular, air popped, carmel or kettle? >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 10, 2015, 01:46:22 AM

Keep it simple: squadron/group/wing/region Senior Enlisted Advisor.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023