Main Menu

Vanguard Improving

Started by winterg, January 29, 2015, 10:54:26 PM

LTCinSWR

Quote from: LSThiker on February 04, 2015, 11:49:05 PM
Does any one know if the Command badge has been redesigned and improved? 

From a while back, I believe Ned had mentioned that the Command Badge was being redone.

My metal one looks on-spec; I haven't bought the cloth (graduated Squadron Commander who didn't want anything else on my BBDUs other than what is operationally relevant).
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

JC004

My GBD badge is a recent acquisition.  It's different.  Crisp, but different than above. (purchased in the fall)

The aircrew wings are recent.  The quality of the embroidery is good on them.  They came pre-done with 1/8" border.

Blue material varies and I'm really not sure why.  This seems like something they could keep consistent in quality and color - but for some reason, they don't. 

The same for the oak leaves - all fairly recent - in 3 batches - 3 different levels of quality in the embroidery.  1 is solid.  2 sets have show-through of blue in the leaves - one set worse than the other.

Storm Chaser

That's a nice Master Ground Team Badge. I wish mine looked as good. The same goes for the wings.

JC004

It is.  I don't know why they would have changed it.  It matches the metal badge fairly well, so they changed it to something that doesn't?

The pre-sewn 1/8" border square was not sewn very well.  I had to square it off a bit myself.  I am very satisfied with the quality of the embroidery on them.

To compare, here is an older GBD badge, and an older pair of wings.  The blue, of course, doesn't match (for whatever reason):

Майор Хаткевич

The wing detail on the AC wings...nice

LSThiker

If you contact Vanguard about poor quality materials, they are quite friendly and will go to great length to help you.

The old Ground Team Badges from CAPMart.  I forgot just how horrible they looked.

JC004

Quote from: LSThiker on February 06, 2015, 03:22:14 PM
If you contact Vanguard about poor quality materials, they are quite friendly and will go to great length to help you.

The old Ground Team Badges from CAPMart.  I forgot just how horrible they looked.

It seems like it...I'm currently in contact with them about my (EVIL PLASTIC! *shakes fist*) flight suit insignia.  The crimping wasn't done all the way around on one, and the insignia isn't secured.  It pops out of place.  The general quality of the evil plastic insignia is better than it was, and I like the crimping.  It just appears to be a quality assurance check issue, in this case.

The issue they seem to have most of all is consistency and I'm not sure why that is.

If they can nail down doing the 1/8" borders on cloth insignia properly, it might be advantageous for all of the badges to be done that way.  Since it's bright blue, they really stand out if they're even slightly off.  I'd bet members' uniforms would look better if they came pre-made, like my wings did.

I'm also pleased that they changed to well-embroidered fabric strip branch/name tapes (although mine in the photo aren't from Vanguard).  The old webbed tapes could really suck.

arajca

Anyone have Feb's discount code?

I ordered a golf shirt with the Log master badge last month. Shipped out in two days. Badge is proper size (~1.75") and has good resolution. Shirt is a medium/light weight fabric. We'll see how well it holds up.

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on February 06, 2015, 04:13:57 PM
It seems like it...I'm currently in contact with them about my (EVIL PLASTIC! *shakes fist*) flight suit insignia. 

Yeah, I have been leaning more and more about ditching the USAF-style uniform (except the Service Uniform) and simply going with the corporate uniform.  They have really grown on me and they almost look better with the ultramarine blue.  But that is for another discussion.

If they can nail down doing the 1/8" borders on cloth insignia properly, it might be advantageous for all of the badges to be done that way.  Since it's bright blue, they really stand out if they're even slightly off.  I'd bet members' uniforms would look better if they came pre-made, like my wings did.

I am curious if there is not being a push to start pre-made badges.  I wonder why the aircrew wings came pre-sewn?  Is it possible that all badges are going to be done this way and they just need to get through the current stock?  Perhaps an email to the CAP manager at Vanguard is warranted?

Devil Doc

So are the Wings for Scanners and AP approved yet?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

LSThiker

Quote from: Devil Doc on February 06, 2015, 08:47:32 PM

Yes.  The new CAPR 35-6 has been published recently.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2015, 06:20:07 PM

I ordered a golf shirt with the Log master badge last month. Shipped out in two days. Badge is proper size (~1.75") and has good resolution. Shirt is a medium/light weight fabric. We'll see how well it holds up.

Vanguard posts their discount codes on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vanmilstore
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

JacobAnn

Quote from: Paul Creed III on February 06, 2015, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2015, 06:20:07 PM

Vanguard posts their discount codes on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vanmilstore

Thanks, I needed the code too.

SeanM

For those that might not have a Facebook account, the Feb code is FBSAVENOW15.

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

RogueLeader

Quote from: LSThiker on February 06, 2015, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on February 06, 2015, 08:47:32 PM

Yes.  The new CAPR 35-6 has been published recently.

They typically post that in the News feed, and it is strangely silent on this update.

Speculation: NHQ does not want Vanguard to get back orders on any of the A/C wings. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

VG also posts on their twitter.

Private Investigator

Quote from: SeanM on February 07, 2015, 09:27:23 PM
For those that might not have a Facebook account, the Feb code is FBSAVENOW15.

Sean

Sean, thank you and welcome aboard CAP Talk.  8)