Main Menu

CAP Blazer Crest

Started by winterg, December 04, 2014, 01:10:50 AM

winterg

I was setting up my blazer this week in preparation for our squadron holiday party since I am still working on getting back into shape to wear my blues.  I received my bullion blazer crest today and was mildly surprised.  I have seen several of these over the years and was never happy with how "blobish" they looked.  But no big deal, most of the bullion badges are that way on the mess dress.

But this is what I received.  It is a serious improvement over what I have seen even recently.

Also, I had ordered the magnetic pocket protector thingy that was supposed to better for your jacket.  That's a piece of junk!  I'll just use the pins, thank you.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm in the same boat as you - trying to get back into regulation for my blues.

I don't have a blazer and I hope I don't have to get one, but that is one of the better bullion crests I've seen.

You could try setting it up with magnets directly on the back of the crest; I have a couple of my ribbon racks set up that way.

Do not use the pocket protector!  It's horrid-looking!!!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

winterg

Honestly, I picked up the blazer on ebay for $30 with free shipping and it is in excellent condition.  And it fits like it was tailored.  It was literally the first post I looked at.  I'm still amazed at the find.  Since I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it I don't mind using the pins for my nameplate and crest.  As for the pocket protector, why do they even sell that piece of junk.  The holes in the flap don't even line up with the nameplate or the crest.  And what are you supposed to do, put the crest inside the clear plastic pocket?  How horrid would that look?  Someone did not think that item through very well.

Now back on the Gazelle so maybe I can lose the last 14 pounds and put my blues back on.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Are you going to put CAP buttons on it?  That would make it a little better, for me anyway.

I knew a lot of members who put them on the old four-pocket "Tony Nelson" service dress but I've never seen the current service dress with them...I think 39-1 allows them.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pierson777

Quote from: winterg on December 04, 2014, 01:10:50 AM

Also, I had ordered the magnetic pocket protector thingy that was supposed to better for your jacket.  That's a piece of junk!  I'll just use the pins, thank you.

I've heard the same complaint about the the magnetic device.  A couple of my friends ordered them said they that were not worth it.

winterg

It does allow them.   And I have considered it.  But not looking to wear this long term.

Quote4.2.3.1. Blazer: Navy blue, single‐breasted blazer (solid color) wool, polyester‐wool blend
or polyester‐cotton material will be worn. Two or three buttons, either metal (gold tone, silver tone or
CAP button set) or plastic (black or dark blue) in front.

I do like the semi-formal option with the blazer combo.  Not sure if that was always there and I just missed it.

Eclipse

The semi-formal has been there since at least the previous 39-1.

I agree they did a nice job on the crest.

Friends don't let friends wear the pocket protector.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

I bought one at goodwill for $2, $3 dry cleaning and it is good to go for only wearing every once in a while.

Quote from: CyBorg on December 04, 2014, 01:35:05 AM
I'm in the same boat as you - trying to get back into regulation for my blues.

I don't have a blazer and I hope I don't have to get one, but that is one of the better bullion crests I've seen.

You could try setting it up with magnets directly on the back of the crest; I have a couple of my ribbon racks set up that way.

Do not use the pocket protector!  It's horrid-looking!!!

Jaison009

I can't believe that came from Vanguard. That actually looks squared away and worth wearing  :o. I chose to go with the pins like you since I only have $5 in the blazer and I hate that plastic crap.

Quote from: winterg on December 04, 2014, 01:10:50 AM
I was setting up my blazer this week in preparation for our squadron holiday party since I am still working on getting back into shape to wear my blues.  I received my bullion blazer crest today and was mildly surprised.  I have seen several of these over the years and was never happy with how "blobish" they looked.  But no big deal, most of the bullion badges are that way on the mess dress.

But this is what I received.  It is a serious improvement over what I have seen even recently.

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, that looks much nicer than mine.

Quick note: my captain bars fell off the nameplate before I even wore it (still haven't!).

Might want to preemptively super glue that sucker.

CAP_truth

My crest is from 1968, and my original name tag is still be used from 1961.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

winterg

They must have made them better back then.   :)