Blues Uniform: Tie Clip

Started by XxJake114xX, November 01, 2014, 10:35:08 PM

XxJake114xX

Hello everyone,
I am staffing an airshow at my squadron all this weekend, and a Senior member pointed out that I did not have a tie clip. The problem is, I do not own a tie clip, and it is too late to order one without paying a ridiculous amount of money to express ship it in 12 hours. I DO HAVE a Gulfstream Pin, that I can pin onto my tie, but I am not sure that is in regulations...

My question is, what can I use as a substitute tie clip, that will be appropriate to wear?

Please Help!

Garibaldi

Nothing. No civilian tie tacs/pins are authorized.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

XxJake114xX

So should I just not wear a tie at all? Or put a invisible pin in it?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

arajca

Does the thin end of your tie have button holes? If so, thread the thin end though the loop on the back of the wide end and button it to your shirt button.

XxJake114xX

Ooh that is a good idea. Thank you both for the info, i appreciate it.

SarDragon

The tie clip is optional. Emphasis mine.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, various placesA tie tack or clasp may be worn with the tie. If worn, the tie tack or clasp will have the CAP Crest, "wing and star" design, AF symbol, or the appropriate rank insignia. The tie tack or clasp will be centered between the bottom edge of the knot and the bottom tip of the tie.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on November 02, 2014, 12:56:22 AM

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, various placesA tie tack or clasp may be worn with the tie. If worn, the tie tack or clasp will have the CAP Crest, "wing and star" design, AF symbol, or the appropriate rank insignia. The tie tack or clasp will be centered between the bottom edge of the knot and the bottom tip of the tie.
To be fair.....it was not optional in the last version of 39-1....so I can see where someone may be misinformed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on November 02, 2014, 03:20:31 AM

To be fair.....it was not optional in the last version of 39-1....so I can see where someone may be misinformed.

Doesn't say it's optional, also doesn't say it is required. The Xs in the chart columns simply indicate what items are worn with which combinations. Mandatory/required items are specifically designated.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GroundHawg

I know this may be a bit of a reach, but his squadron/wing/region may have a supplement to 39-1 requiring a tie tack/clasp be worn. I personally have never seen or heard of one, but that doesn't mean they do not exist.

Al Sayre

Not sure why you would be wearing blues with a tie at an airshow to start with, unless you are presenting the colors, BDU's are probably more appropriate.  The easy solution is to ask the people that aren't attending or aren't wearing blues if they have one you can borrow.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Storm Chaser

The service uniform (blues) would be appropriate for a recruiting booth, especially if members are going to be wearing different uniform combinations.

kwe1009

Quote from: lordmonar on November 02, 2014, 03:20:31 AM

The word "may" is the indication that it is optional.  If it said "will be worn" then it would be mandatory.  Just like the regular AF, the tie tack / clasp is optional.

Another suggestion if you don't have a tie tack or clasp: use a paper clip on the skinny part of the tie.  Just run the skinny part through the fabric loop on the back of the tie and then paperclip the part under the loop to your shirt.  This is also a good method to use even when you have a tie clasp as you then don't have to attach the clasp to the shirt so it will more easily stay straight.