Coast Guard Blues

Started by Walkman, September 22, 2014, 02:35:33 AM

Walkman

Quick question, didn't find the answer in a search...

We've got a new SM joining this week who is in the Coast Guard Reserves. I know they wear a service dress/blues uniform similar to ours, but can anyone confirm if its the same? Wondering if he can just switch insignias on the shirt and be good to go?

Thanks

MIKE

Light blue shirts and the lightweight blue jacket are the same.  Trousers etc are a different shade and weave.
Mike Johnston

Walkman

pierson777

The tie is probably different too.  Our is a herringbone twill, blue tie, which is kind of unique.

I'm curious of their blue BDU's are the same as our Corporate Field Uniform.

Eclipse

Quote from: pierson777 on September 22, 2014, 03:31:25 AM

The Coastie field uniform are different.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

The tie is probably different too.  Our is a herringbone twill, blue tie, which is kind of unique.

Different fabric.  More cloth like than the USAF silk-like one.

Different.  No bottom pockets on the blouse for one.  The USCG ODUs are embroidered as well on the blouse and trouser pocket flaps, though the NOAA ODUs are not, but IIRC are only available via UDC.
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Pullover jumper ("wooly pully") is the same.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

As a USCGAux member I can tell you that if he is wearing just the short sleeve shirt and the trousers no one can tell the difference and he will most likely be able to get away with it.

The difference only really shows if he tries to mix and match the trousers with the coat (i.e. USAF trousers with USCG coat and/or USCG trousers with a USAF coat).

When I first joined the the USCGAux, I could not get USCG trousers so I just bought a pair of USAF ones and still wear them today... when in short sleeves only.

I later bought a full set of USCG SDBs and got the two trousers mixed up while packing to go to a function. It looked really bad when worn together.

So in the short term, buy a USAF belt, CAP Flight Cap, CAP boards and a CAP nametag and he'll be able to get buy with one uniform for both but when he buys the USAF coat he really needs to buy matching trousers.

Just my 2 cents.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

MIKE

Quote from: COMDTINST M16790.1GG.3.b. Trousers The trousers shall be of conventional plain design with no cuff and of the
same material and color as the coat. Air Force trousers will not be worn with
the Coast Guard Auxiliary uniform.

I'll see to it that you are docked your desert for the next year for that one shuman14.
Mike Johnston

Shuman 14

Quote from: MIKE on September 24, 2014, 01:39:42 AM
Quote from: COMDTINST M16790.1GG.3.b. Trousers The trousers shall be of conventional plain design with no cuff and of the
same material and color as the coat. Air Force trousers will not be worn with
the Coast Guard Auxiliary uniform.

I'll see to it that you are docked your desert for the next year for that one shuman14.

What can I say... it ain't easy being cheezy.  8)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

GroundHawg

Quote from: shuman14 on September 23, 2014, 10:57:55 PM
As a USCGAux member I can tell you that if he is wearing just the short sleeve shirt and the trousers no one can tell the difference and he will most likely be able to get away with it.

The difference only really shows if he tries to mix and match the trousers with the coat (i.e. USAF trousers with USCG coat and/or USCG trousers with a USAF coat).

When I first joined the the USCGAux, I could not get USCG trousers so I just bought a pair of USAF ones and still wear them today... when in short sleeves only.

I later bought a full set of USCG SDBs and got the two trousers mixed up while packing to go to a function. It looked really bad when worn together.

So in the short term, buy a USAF belt, CAP Flight Cap, CAP boards and a CAP nametag and he'll be able to get buy with one uniform for both but when he buys the USAF coat he really needs to buy matching trousers.

Just my 2 cents.

I do the same. I bought the full on USCG set for the division honor guard but otherwise it is USAF.