Leather Name Tag for Black A1 flight jacket

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, December 15, 2013, 08:55:48 PM

West MI-CAP-Ret

I am having a hard time trying to get my leather name tag attached to my leather jacket.  Some have suggested using rubber cement.  My local tailors don't have the equipment.  What should I look for?

Thanks, Dave
8)
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Shotgun

Just to clarify,  are you referring to the black leather A2 Flight Jacket or the nylon MA-1 flight jacket?

In either case, I'd recommend using hook and loop fasteners.

If there is not Velcro on the jacket a trip to your local tailor might be in order.

Shuman 14

Cobbler shop (IE shoe repair shop), they will have the machine with the capability to sew the Velcro to the leather and then you attach the name tag to the Velcro.

That or a local police uniform shop. If your local departments issue leather jackets they "should" have the heavy duty sewing machine needed.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Contact cement will hold the leather nametag to the velcro if you can't find someplace to sew it on.

Eclipse

It's supposed to be velcroed to the jacket.

The nice lady at the tailor should be able to sew the velcro to the nametag and the also on your jacket.

If you attached the leather nametag permanently to the jacket, the next time you wash the jacket you
wil probably have a blank nametag.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dracosbane

I hope you're not washing your leather jacket.  I don't know that it's all that good of an idea to wash an MA-1 either.

SarDragon

BAD, BAD, BAD idea to wash an MA-1. I saw one that had been washed, and it looked really bad.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on December 16, 2013, 10:10:58 AM
BAD, BAD, BAD idea to wash an MA-1. I saw one that had been washed, and it looked really bad.
MA-1. That's the polyester/nylon jacket, right?

Eclipse

Missed he OP said leather.

It's still better to sew it.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

They sell Velcro with an adhesive backing to it that, when put on properly, is just as good as sewing it on at many craft stores. I recommend using this route, but make sure to apply it correctly otherwise it will come off.

SarDragon

That adhesive will last exactly 3/4 of one dry cleaning cycle.

To answer arajca, yes, the MA-1 is the green and orange nylon jacket.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret