We can Wear ABU's Now

Started by wowcap, November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 23, 2013, 02:04:55 AM
IIRC he is a Captain, and you were one of the first to use him for a CAP mockup back in the day.

Touche'

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 23, 2013, 12:23:36 AM
Quote from: Panache on November 22, 2013, 04:28:26 AM
They're not going to allow sage or tan boots for one simple reason:  BBDUs.

Sage or tan boots look terribad with Blue BDUs, and there's no way the NHQ is going to say "Okay, you'll need two separate pairs of boots for your field uniforms now; sage (or tan) for your ABUs, and black for your BBDUs."

That makes almost no sense.  I dont know of many people that have both uniforms.  (or if they do can wear both, ie had BDU's dont meet HW/grooming, now have BBDU)

It doesn't have to make sense.  You have to think like a bureaucrat.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on November 22, 2013, 05:03:39 AM
I think he means the realtor looking garb.

Yes.

However, one way to make it look better (as better as that uniform can look, anyway) could be to use something double-breasted (and I don't mean the bloody CSU).  I've read 39-1's description and several KB articles.  It says nothing about it having to be single-breasted.  It talks about the pocket types (which precludes any sort of single-breasted uniform coat) but not how many buttons, cut, precise colour (just a dark blue), etc.

This is a civilian pilot blazer.  Get rid of the sleeve braid, put the proper insignia on it (but no horrid pocket protector) and Bob's your uncle!

OK, it may look like the Navy/airline pilot/firefighter/Merchant Marine/Captain Stubing/whatever, but I'd rather have that than the Realtor® look (no offence to Realtors®, I worked with them for several years) anytime.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

Honestly, black shirts and black boots does not look bad with ABU. And the AF should have kept those aspects or at least the coyote boots.

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2013, 02:09:16 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 23, 2013, 02:04:55 AM
IIRC he is a Captain, and you were one of the first to use him for a CAP mockup back in the day.

Touche'

Found this in my graphics library dated March 2006.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

SARDOC

^^^ I like your suggestion.  I'm also one of those "less is more" type.  I also would like to see just one uniform for everybody.

FW

OMG!!!!
And one wonders why the SECAF Air Force does not agree with "our" desire to wear them... :o
Why can't we go back to discussing NCOs in CAP. >:D >:D

Stonewall

I think it's time we take a moment and review this awesome article You're only as sharp as your creases to remember the "how", "why", and to help us understand what truly is important when it comes to wearing uniforms in CAP.
Serving since 1987.

unmlobo

Quote from: Stonewall on November 24, 2013, 12:32:01 PM
I think it's time we take a moment and review this awesome article You're only as sharp as your creases to remember the "how", "why", and to help us understand what truly is important when it comes to wearing uniforms in CAP.

+1 I sent this article to my flight leadership, they all liked it too.  This is an amazingly well written article and has a plethora of good knowledge/advice. 
Major, CAP
HI WG

Shuman 14

Quote from: Stonewall on November 24, 2013, 01:52:41 AM
***COUGH***

Can I offer you a Ricola?  ;D

Seriously, I like it. I'm all for one Corporate uniform for all CAP members.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Garibaldi

Quote from: FW on November 24, 2013, 03:43:51 AM
OMG!!!!
And one wonders why the SECAF Air Force does not agree with "our" desire to wear them... :o

We could just go back to discussing the Polo uniform...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Shuman 14

Quote from: Stonewall on November 24, 2013, 12:32:01 PM

:clap:

Outstanding article!
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NIN

Quote from: FW on November 24, 2013, 03:43:51 AM
OMG!!!!

Cite?

It is my understanding that the AF has no issue with us in ABU, but that the 2008 DoD memorandum on who is authorized uniforms with "IFF technologies" is the sticking point.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: shuman14 on November 24, 2013, 03:48:20 PM
Seriously, I like it. I'm all for one Corporate uniform for all CAP members.

I'm all for security personnel wearing magenta ripstop short-sleeve uniforms. Granted, I have absolutely no standing to pontificate on the subject, but I am all for it nonetheless.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

nmkaufman0

If and when the ABU replaces the BDU, I hope they give us a "phase in" period, because I probably won't be able to get them right away. I also hope that they give us a warning because it would be confusing and embarrassing to walk into a squadron meeting and be the only Cadet to be wearing the BDU.
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Historically uniform changes have had a 2+ yer phase in.

With that said, I still see wing patches on blues, the wrong majcom, and other long-since disavowed "stuff".

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: nmkaufman0 on November 24, 2013, 05:19:25 PM
If and when the ABU replaces the BDU, I hope they give us a "phase in" period, because I probably won't be able to get them right away. I also hope that they give us a warning because it would be confusing and embarrassing to walk into a squadron meeting and be the only Cadet to be wearing the BDU.

There is usually a phase-in on major uniform changes of at least a couple of years.

Your squadron staff should keep you up-to-date on that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2013, 05:24:34 PM
With that said, I still see wing patches on blues

Seriously?  I don't recall wing patches ever being authorised for wear on the current-style blues uniform and I haven't seen a wing patch on cadets wearing the "old" blues for probably 10 years.

However, I know of one 1st Lt who still has the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tape on his BDU's.  I've also seen one at Group level with the MAJCOM patch with the "U.S." initalling.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011